2002 with 52K, is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking to add another cruiser to the shed and my dealer emailed me yesterday with one they took in on trade. I have really been looking for a 2006-07 with the updated engine. They are asking 22,990.00 for this one and just not sure if I should go and try to make a deal or hold out for an 06-07 as I have really intended. This 2002 is very clean, 1 owner, dealer maintained, and always garaged and owned by an older gentlemen. I'm an 80 owner so haven't spent a lot of time on the 100 section and kinda wanted some advice on what to be looking for. I've read the Slee information about the model year differences just wanted so advice from the experts over here in the 100 section..
Thanks for any help.

02 landcruiser1.jpg

Clean truck! I think the price is a bit dear ($500 above the highest KBB value, assuming it's mint) - I recently bought an '03 with 96k for $5k less.

Yah, figuring that its the stealer price, the salesmen may work with me a bit since I have bought 2 4runners, a taco and a tundra from him, but I dont want to pay their asking price for sure.

That is too much. I will at least hold off for a 2013 and up model since Toyota refresh the interior and added 5 speed tranny for 2013 model.

That is too much. I will at least hold off for a 2013 and up model since Toyota refresh the interior and added 5 speed tranny for 2013 model.
You mean '03, not '13, right?

You mean '03, not '13, right?
Opps. Typo!! browsing on my wee iphone screen with watery eyes as I am waking up! Yup, I meant to say 03! LOL :D

i paid $18k out the door for my loaded mint 03 LX470. It had 105k miles but all major service was done before I bought it. At 52K, you got like 20-30k miles before you need to spend even more money. AND you have the older interior. I think you can find a recently serviced 04+ model with reverse camera and the updated interior for less than that with 100k miles.

If I were you, I would wait and be ready to buy what you really want. There are always deals out there. You just gotta be ready to act on it when you find it.

Oh yeah. Just to give you some motivation to wait. I just visited a friend of mine and saw he bought a 2006 that had 22 thousand miles on it. It even smells new. No, I didn't ask him how much you paid for it.

I've been looking to add another cruiser to the shed and my dealer emailed me yesterday with one they took in on trade. I have really been looking for a 2006-07 with the updated engine. They are asking 22,990.00 for this one and just not sure if I should go and try to make a deal or hold out for an 06-07 as I have really intended. This 2002 is very clean, 1 owner, dealer maintained, and always garaged and owned by an older gentlemen. I'm an 80 owner so haven't spent a lot of time on the 100 section and kinda wanted some advice on what to be looking for. I've read the Slee information about the model year differences just wanted so advice from the experts over here in the 100 section..
Thanks for any help.
That's a bit high even for SoCal

Thanks everyone for the replies. Im pretty sure I will hold off on this one. It is starting to get frustrating though as I have been looking for nearly 6 months for an 06-07 with less than 100K and reasonably priced. That isnt 2500 miles away. Im at the point that I'm even looking at LR4's instead because they are the same price, 4 years newer, and a lot of fancy doo dads.

Kofoed, I am pretty open to any year Im just not going to pay a premium for anything outside of an 06-07 with low miles and good maintenance history. The biggest issue is truly that there just are not many around in the Northeast. I have two dealerships looking and dont mind paying that premium for the right truck. I would definitely buy an older model with reasonable mileage if the price is right. Going next weekend to drive this 2002, a 2004 LX470, and a 2010 Land Rover LR4. Will see if any are appealing.

The lr4 will be awesome for a couple years until you start paying for maint.

I am picky like you when buying a car and more often than not wind up buying a one way plane ticket and driving it home. May want to consider doing that, especially since you are in a rust prone area.

My big question I guess is the engine update and other updates on the 2006-07 model really worth it? I know that horsepower isnt always easy to come by and I will be towing a boat a fair bit so that is my biggest reasoning for trying to hold out for a later model.

I just bought a 2002 with 98K one owner, garaged, maintained well and was from SoCal . For 16K ,so I would say that is a bit high as well.

There was a 1999 LX like this at the dealer when I bought mine in 2011. It had 50k miles and looked as close to brand new for a used car. Think it sold for $19k.

Another problem the dealer may run into is people not being able to finance a 2002 which might drive the price down realistically. I'd say it's a $18k truck at best, to the educated buyer.

Im at the point that I'm even looking at LR4's instead because they are the same price, 4 years newer, and a lot of fancy doo dads.
There's a good reason that newer and fancier LR4's are selling for the same price as older, less fancy LC's. Think about it carefully and buyer beware.

Lol, they are practically giving away older LR's around here. You could spend $2k on a early 2000s LR and $10,000 fixing it.

They look cool though.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Im pretty sure I will hold off on this one. It is starting to get frustrating though as I have been looking for nearly 6 months for an 06-07 with less than 100K and reasonably priced. That isnt 2500 miles away. Im at the point that I'm even looking at LR4's instead because they are the same price, 4 years newer, and a lot of fancy doo dads.

I feel your pain. I searched on and off for my LC for well over a year - there's just not that many for sale in New England. I considered traveling to a dry state to get one, but eventually ruled that out due to the complication of the sale, cost of flying, cost of shipping, etc. Personally, I think the 2003 - 2005 are the sweet spot. The '06-'07 get the vvti and AHC. AHC is going to require extra maintenance eventually and while I have no proof of this, others on here have some empirical evidence that the non-vvti 4.7L engines are non-interference motors while the vvti are interference motors. Just makes timing belt maintenance more imperative. Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom