2002 Transfer Case Fill Port Broke in Half (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cause people are cheap

really? You throw in $3-4-5-600 right away if a bolt or such snaps without squinting an eye? You’re lucky that you are that rich, so that amount of money is just monopoly money for you..

I'm just as cheap as everyone else but some things are worth fixing and some things you just go buy a new part. This is the latter. This thread should die now. haha

How much space is there to work with behind the fill plug inside the TC? If there is space and the TC housing is thick enough; what about carefully removing the remainder of the bung and just threading the bolt into the TC farther?

I had a similar failure on the front cover of a Rover V8 once where the oil line threads in. It cost me a 90 mile tow and replacing the cover. The only good news was a I had enough blown up Rover engines around that I had spare covers on hand.

Last edited:
I'm just as cheap as everyone else but some things are worth fixing and some things you just go buy a new part. This is the latter. This thread should die now. haha
I agree that it should be replaced. But when s*** like this happen, people normally like to ask on forums for options - for example to know if the only way to fix it is a replacement. Saying that people are cheap is just rude and not true. I don't think anyone is cheap on this forum, as we all showel tons of money into our silly trucks. It's also worth a talk, because if this happens on the trail or in the middle of africa, and someone googles it, it might be life saving mentally that there might be a fix that is doable on the field just to get the truck back into the camp / civilization, where further repair can be carried out.

I agree that it should be replaced. But when s*** like this happen, people normally like to ask on forums for options - for example to know if the only way to fix it is a replacement. Saying that people are cheap is just rude and not true. I don't think anyone is cheap on this forum, as we all showel tons of money into our silly trucks. It's also worth a talk, because if this happens on the trail or in the middle of africa, and someone googles it, it might be life saving mentally that there might be a fix that is doable on the field just to get the truck back into the camp / civilization, where further repair can be carried out.

I didn't call the guy cheap. Direct your criticism elsewhere please.

Last edited:
How much space is there to work with behind the fill plug inside the TC? If there is space and the TC housing is thick enough; what about carefully removing the remainder of the bung and just threading the bolt into the TC farther?

I had a similar failure on the front corner of a Rover V8 once where the oil line threads in. It cost me a 90 mile tow and replacing the cover. The only good news was a I had enough blown up Rover engines around that I had spare covers on hand.

had a similar thought this morning. The rest of the bung is not breaking or loose. Would take some finesse to get it off. And It’s pretty inconsistent in terms of threads after the bung. Feels like maybe three or four rings at the thickest parts and maybe one in others. Did the best I could to get pictures.

to others, I’m not going to put the truck or family in harms way. I’ll replace if that’s what it calls for but was exploring optuons

A42696D8-2F3A-4A4F-A97E-DDBD208D5D57.jpeg

41A28990-9F51-4726-A53F-89BF1527D201.jpeg

People in general are cheap. I'm not singling anyone out. Ask anyone who sells stuff regularly on mud.
There are always cheaper ways. I try to avoid them if the next owner of my truck would think me an ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom