2002 Tacoma question...for my sister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from the 80 forum.

My sister will be driving her 2002 (could be a 2001, or a 2003 for that matter) Tacoma on a trip we're taking to the Maze district of Canyonlands. The trail is very mellow, but we may try to leave via Poison Springs canyon--which would require a ford of the Dirty Devil river.

I know jack about Tacomas.
Is there anything my sister (and, by default, me) should be worried about (in respect to the water crossing)? Any kind of basic preparation or minor mods that she should make before trying this?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Hayes

I have been to that area of canyonlands, but it has been 13 years...

How deep is the water crossing???

Any IFS truck should carry a spare CV on a trail run so far from civilization... And the tools to change the CV.

The air intake on these is up high in the passenger side fenderwell. It's between the sheetmetal and the plastic fender liner. I wouldn't trust it if it's going to be up to the headlights in water. But I have had one of my tacomas and my wife's 4 runner in up to the headlights a few times with no problems.

Stock Tacoma.

The water *shouldn't* be more than a couple feet, but we won't know till we get there (Ranger might have some info, though). If it's higher than my 80's tires, then I'll back off anyway.

Tacos have the same breather issues as the 80?
That's an easy enough mod if it's a genuine concern.

I was mostly curious about the air intake.

I doubt we'll go to the effort to pack an extra CV. I'm going to make my sister get her truck checked out by a reliable mechanic before she goes (we live several hours apart, so we're just meeting in Canyonlands).

How common is a busted Taco CV on mild trails?

Thanks.

Hayes

Hayes said:
How common is a busted Taco CV on mild trails?

Thanks.

Hayes
Not very. Under normal use you will be fine. It is when you really push it.

Have fun and take pics:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom