x (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you've already diagnosed the issue!

Replace the key cylinder and that should solve your issue.

Had the same issue in a dodge, vw and nissan. All were the cylinder. I am not sure if you can rekey a cylinder in order to have matching keys for the doors. You may be able to fix the warnout part in the cylinder but i've never taken mine apart to check how serviceable it is.

If your key is worn it will cause these symptoms as well.

Just to clarify "sticky" are you talking about the key just won't turn sometimes or that you have to have everything lined up just right that it will kick on the starter?

My old Blazers did that. New ignitions are not that expensive. You lose having one key open everything though.

It may not be the cylinder itself from what you describe it could be the housing around it but I think it is sold as a whole unit "ignition switch". That being said if you can drive another vehicle for a day or so, I would take it apart and see what is warn. I don't think it is in the easiest of places. I have the same truck, and I don't love doing anything under the dash on it.

If ya don’t know by now, there are two screws behind the steering wheel holding the plastic cover together... at least on my 4 Runner. Turn the wheel 90 degrees and you will find them. The rest comes apart pretty quickly.

As a follow up, I was able to resolve the issue by simply going by Toyota and having them cut a new key based upon the vin number. Part of the underlying issue is the key ridges were becoming less defined and rounded.

So far, so good.

Good info! Thanks for the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom