2002 Swapping out Navigation For Standard Controls (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings...1st Post

I would like to get rid of my Navigation/Stereo/Climate (All in one) controls and Install the standard Stereo and Standard Climate Controls (like a standard truck would have. There has to be a way. Any success stories?? Any advice?

Thanks,
Josh

So the 98-02's had the HVAC controls integrated into the Nav system too? I though that was just 03+...

So the 98-02's had the HVAC controls integrated into the Nav system too? I though that was just 03+...

my 2000 does not have navigation...I didn't think it was an option until '02, but could be mistaken...

I know in the LX it was an option in 01, don't know for sure about the LC.

In answer to the OP, I'm not aware of any successful conversions. a) you'd have to find a 'round-dial' donor and b) there may be other problems with integration (such as A/C amplifier, factory harnesses, etc).

edit: slee shows it was an LC option in 01 Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

The sorry navigation and lack of good stereo in my '03 is the only reason I am looking to trade for a newer model. Crazy they did it this way. I have taken it to every stereo place in Georgia for possible upgrades. Nothing.

Would a comlete centre dash replacment from a model that has a single din radio and the ac controlls below not be possiable? I too am in the same position and would be interested to know what you find.

EG change this
Capture-2.png

FOR
1.png

I am sure there will be some aditional wiring to do and some custom harnesses but it must be a possability

Last edited:
Man I love my 3 big, round knobs... :lol: :cool:

To confirm, HVAC is integrated. I agree with the sentiment that the individual (swappable) components are preferred over the integrated (get yourself raped to replace) controls. As for the swap out, I don't doubt that it is possible. You may look at some scrapped vehicles to get some pricing on the climate control module and then go after market on a GPS and sound system, with a direct MP3 connection and forget about the CD changer. Those are my thoughts. Good luck!

I have this on my long term project list... which is another way to say I research it on a whim every 6 months or so and it's unlikely I'll ever get to it :p

Last time I researched the topic here I found a post that said there were significant differences in the factory wiring harnesses (not confirmed). It's also my belief that the climate control module would have to be imported from over seas.

Does anyone by any chance have the relevant manuals to confirm the differences in the wiring harnesses?

to the OP, since yours is 2002, I think you would have an easier time finding the analog controls from a wrecked cruiser, since the majority of 98-02s probably did not have NAV. For 2003+, I've only seen one cruiser (in NA) that did not have NAV. If I could go back in time, I might have bought that one. Since I can't do that, I am with re_guderian - I love my big round knobs ;)

As long as they work, I'm not gonna sweat it. I can hear the servo motors moving in my dash, opening and closing flaps and valves and such I suppose. Servo motor controllers I work with are typically $1000-$2000, there are probably a dozen servo motors in my dash, so I'm not going to think about cobbling something together. A factory retrofit from a junkyard would be cool.

I've seen a 2001 LC for sale locally with factory nav, so it looks like that was the first year it was offered as an option.

To the OP, may I ask why you want to ditch your factory NAV for a stock radio/HVAC controls? Is your NAV system broken or malfunctioning? If not, I would think having a factory integrated system would be preferable to a dashboard/windshield mount unit. For a $55k+ vehicle, wouldn't you expect it to come with a built-in factory NAV system these days? Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Different dash harness. Can be done butvwouldn't be fun nor cheap. Viva Mexico.

If you set on the swap, I'd start with factory shop and (especially) wiring manuals; and that's after you find a donor car. Know what you need beyond the nav unit itself;). It will not be cheap.

I have an '01 LX with nav...software has not / will not get updated.:p

For local gps you're ok with factory nav imo, though new streets aren't listed. It gets me close enough. Rebuilt units are available on ebay and ought to be cheaper than the parts you'd need to replace nav with a din unit.

For boondock trips, I bring a Garmin 60SXc with 24k:1 topo's of the 50 states, and a Garminfone with the same map for backup.

Steve

thanks for all the reply's...sounds like a pretty big fish to fry.

I've found a few wiring diagrams for an '04 Land Cruiser which contain the wiring diagrams for both the Nav system equipped and non-nav system equipped.

As was previously mentioned it looks like a pretty involved process to do the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom