2002 mine truck refurbishing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
Hi guys,
so the next project arrived yesterday.
i was contacted a few months back by a gent looking for a LHD 75 series. I started shopping in a few different countries but it was hard (and expensive) to locate what he wanted.
i approached him on the idea of doing up an exmine truck back to near new condition. he agreed to the idea.
yesterday i went to pick up the donor rig. it looked like it was in a demolition derby!!
BUT
it came with an almost new perfectly straight 79 series box, a bunch of new interior parts, new doors, new hood, almost new e/lockers axles front and rear and an engine with 580-600 psi across the board that purrs. it also came with a brand new factory air snorkle, fancy light bar, factory jerry can holder, factory bed mount tire carrier and a factory ENS take off roof.

it still needs, new front upper and lower fenders, complete cab and i am pricing a new frame.
over the next 6 months i will run this build thread.

so far it needs a new R151 (or might swap in a H55F)
the front and rear diffs need rebuilding but we might swap a set of pre 99 e/locker diffs under it.
also considering swapping a front full size 70 axle into it. the idea of 3.7s for highway driving would be good for fuel milage compared to the 4.3 that are in it now. so i will work with the customer to see which gearing works best for his application 4.30 / 4.11 / 3.70.

i am looking a new frame pricing this week
i am also looking at the pricing to replace the cab in pieces or if a full replacement cab is a better idea.
the word is out for the upper and lower fenders.

i will post pics of the donor rig soon. <damn, she is U G L Y !!>

Sweet looking forward to this I love 75's! one day I will have a 75 that I can switch from a bed to a tray to a camper shell! in your searches is it possible to get a 75 series that is RHD for cheaper?

the problem was the QUALITY of unit he wanted.
(and LHD)
but 75s are work trucks and unless you are buying a couple years old most have seen... use.

Wayne ceases to amaze me with the stuff he finds. Must post pic too, because in some perverse way, I like to see what happens to a vehicle that actually gets USED to the point it actually breaks. And with cruisers, that point is a very tough one to reach.

Subscribed? Damn skippy!

Wayne ceases to amaze me with the stuff he finds. Must post pic too, because in some perverse way, I like to see what happens to a vehicle that actually gets USED to the point it actually breaks. And with cruisers, that point is a very tough one to reach.

Subscribed? Damn skippy!

You maybe interested in this then;)

YouTube - Gold mining & cars in Kalgoorlie, Australia - Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld - BBC

My 75 was sold new at Goldfields Toyota next door to the pub in the video:grinpimp:
It never went underground though:D

I am starting to like my 4:30's now, with the 37's and turbo it is a pefect match, with 3.70's, 37's it would be more of a dog. For off roading the gears are great too, we don't need super low gearing here for big rock climbing so I find that the 4:30's with the 37's are bang on - I wouldnt want any lower. And I can cruise just fine at 120-130 on the highway with my 285/75/16s as well.

The only real problem you run into is rim availablility - very hard to find rims wide enough for big tires.

The biggest bonus is the brakes - they kick any other cruisers ass - very big and lots of stopping power = no fading by the end of a day of wheeling.

Sounds like it has some good potential - can't wait to see some pics.

Louis

Oh, as far as the tranny goes, I'll be purring a new r151 in mine, we don't abuse them on the roads here like they do in the mines, i beat mine hard and it is still going. When I put the new one in I will put the reinforced plate in from marvins - that apparently keeps them from premature wear.

Putting the older cruiser front end in will interfere with the front suspension arms and tie rod so some major work would have to be done. And I don't think you want to lose the front coils - they are great. Dont use OME front or rear springs - I'll be buying 3 inch lift fronts from another company - my OME have sagged too much.

One more time,Why did Toyota not bring these to the U.S.? Mike

Louis,
the gearing will be 4.11s since he is using it as a plow with ZERO off road use.
i plan on converting the older front diff to the same configuration as the newer one by cutting and moving the frotn coil mounts over.
a new R151 is on order although i am also considering a R141 for the lower first gear for pushing the snow.
NO lift, he wants is stock height and with the mine box gone i will be removing a bunch of rear leafs till it rides decent with air bag for when he is hauling dirt or gravel.
stock tires, 4.11 gears and no lift... not a bush pig but a practicle work rig.

thanks for checking in Louis.
cheers

as for why they are not supplied by Toyota for the NA market?
first, Toyota in all their wisdom figures there is not a big enough market
second, protectism by the big 3. can you picture what sales in the big three truck market would be like if Toyota offered a full size diesel truck with full frame and solid front axle?

Too me this is the big one "protectism by the big 3. can you picture what sales in the big three truck market would be like if Toyota offered a full size diesel truck with full frame and solid front axle?"

The other one "Toyota in all their wisdom figures there is not a big enough market" is just what toyota tells people!

Everytime Buzz hargrove is asked how to fix the big 3 bankruptcy - he says "stop allowing imports into north america" - that is their answer - not build a better vehicle.

Let the three of them shut down, one will start back up and hopefully make a decent product.

strangle hold the population to force them to buy NA. yep, that sure sounds like a well thought out answer. (once again a sign of our tax payers money well spent)

I'm really interested in seeing what Wayne does to this old rig. Hopefully we get to see some before pics before he starts working on it.

strangle hold the population to force them to buy NA. yep, that sure sounds like a well thought out answer. (once again a sign of our tax payers money well spent)

Sir! You don't mean to presume that the American government would spend our tax dollars in any way but a brilliant one do you? :) (Tongue firmly in cheek.)

no more so than the Canadian government would... (i would love to see otherwise though, i might even start to respect ours then)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom