2002 LX470 towing RV ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2002 LX470 towing our 2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS, dry weight = 3,900 lbs.

Towed it central N.C. to Myrtle Beach, S.C. Mostly Interstate, mostly flat, got 9.3 and 10mpg but normal non-towing I get high 13's to 15mpg.
Looks like I get approximately 30% reduction in Fuel Economy while towing my RV on mostly flat ground.
On flat ground I drove with Over Drive=ON, but switched to OFF on approaches to hills.

I calculate I was at near maximum capacity:
#1- GVW = actual weight of LX470 with fuel, gear, hitch and passengers = 6,203lbs. Absolute max GVWR = 6,860lbs, or at 90.4% capacity, so I was under by 657lbs. OK here.

#2- Max capacity of my trailer is 7,000lbs giving me 3,100lbs of "stuff" to load in it.
I calculate 45lb for battery, 76lbs for two propane tanks, no water, and 350lbs of miscellaneous "stuff" like beach chairs, food, and other gear.
So I'm towing 4,371lbs and my trailer has a max of 7,000lbs. Really OK here.

#3- GCVW = Maximum combined weight of Trailer and Lexus = 12,400 so 12,400 - 6,203 - 4,371 = 1,826.
So the Lexus can tow 1,826 more lbs. Really OK here.

#4- Finally where is gets maxed out is when I add the RV Tongue Weight on the Lexus. The weight of the fully loaded Lexus + WD Hitch + Tongue Weight must not exceed 6,860lbs.
In my case I calculate 12.5% of the loaded RV on the Tongue, distributed by the WD Hitch, to be 6,750lbs or 98.38%.

In other words, the amount of weight on or in the Lexus is the limiting issue as I can carry more weight in the RV and the Lexus can tow much more weight, but the weight on the Lexus itself if the limiting issue.
So it boils down to this ... moving weight out of Lexus and putting in Trailer is a way to tow more weight.
The only humans in our Lexus is my wifey and I. If I put in more humans, then I could not legally pull my RV.

ZZZ_2023_05-27_001.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up brother. I've got a ~1800 lb wet teardrop camper i hope to get out and its good to see im probs going to get 10mpg either way lol.

Are you using anything to monitor transmission temps? I'd be curious to see your readings with OD on with this kind of weight.

Are you using anything to monitor transmission temps? I'd be curious to see your readings with OD on with this kind of weight.

I do have the Torque Pro app on my Android smartphone.
Last trip that I checked Transmission temperatures were 140 - 165F.

Did you try going to a scale? IMO it’s a good piece of mind, I have 23ft camper with about 4100 on the 5k trailer axle, had about 10 gal water in the fresh tank, just 4 passengers, a little gear, full tank of gas put me over on the scales. But I do have E rated tires toyo AT3s that make me feel a little better. I now try to put everything in the camper

Steer axle in the image is both fr and rear on the lx470, drive axle is the trailer

IMG_1872.jpeg

IMG_1613.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom