2002 LX470 ML Speakers and Sub questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read about a hundred threads concerning the factory ML sound system and honestly... I'm just confused. I need to ask some basic questions concerning the factory ML system to help me figure out how to proceed.

Here's how it all began... I realized the other day that I had no bass in my LX outside of my front doors. I went ahead and ordered the refoam kits and began to get after it last night. I started with the drivers side rear door and it absolutely fell apart on me as it came out of the door. I got it refoamed and put back in no problem. Sounds better but still not much bass to make mention of. I'm assuming this is because of the 4" woofer. I next went to the subwoofer... I started pulling back the paneling and realized that it wasn't the factory sub but and Audiopipe? I don't know much about this brand. I stopped at this point... which leads to my questions...

Truck specs: 2002 LX470, Navigation, ML system, Single woofer

1. The Audiopipe isn't doing anything. I haven't had time to investigate but I'm scared it's the amp. What should I check first?
2. On replacing the Audiopipe, what other options are out there that fit the factory enclosure?
3. The dreaded ohm question... 2 ohm's or 4 ohm's?
4. Is the woofer 6", 6.5", or 6.75"?... I've seen all of these in all of these threads
4. Dual voice coils or single voice coil? What was stock in the factory ML woofer?
5. If it is the amp... what are my options? Will an aftermarket amp work with the factory head unit and existing speakers? (Sorry, I suck at audio electronics and terminology (trying to learn))

Lastly, no one has ever accused me of not jumping down a rabbit hole. Can someone just tell me what works for them in this situation.

Thanks!

Jump into the rabbit hole with a smile.
The OP in that thread had the ML system. You will make money on this swap when you sell your old stuff on eBay.

Ha! I’d love to covert the dash but the wires give me anxiety!! So, I dug in and got to the sub... Same Audiopipe as everyone here has used... TS-V6 Dual Voice Coil or something like that... Woofer was not firing... It was wired in series and I read somewhere on here that the woofer wouldn’t play while in series so I switched off just to one set of inputs and it fired up!! My question is with only one set of connection it’s only using one coil which makes this technically a 2 ohm woofer... Am I at risk of burning my amp up running it like this??

Also, I switched it back to see if it was a bad connection while in series... and didn’t fire again... I’m not sure what to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom