2002 lx470 Head unit completely dead. Help!? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

My head unit completely went dark after my plugged my car charger in the cigarette lighter unit. (The car still ran with no lights on the dash)

On parking the car I also realized the key fob remote was not working either.

Got home checked the fuses and surely the fuses for Radio 20A and ECU-B1 were blown.
Tried to install the new fuses in the radio slot it blew before I got it in all the way.

Thinking it has to be a short in the cigarette lighter unit I proceeded to clean it. Reinstalled the fuses started the car, no luck everything is black (off)

Proceeded to take a look at the fuses: they were blown again.

Pulled out the cigarette lighter unit unplugged it, and replaced the fuses.
Now the remote works and the car starts and runs with no lights on the dash but the head unit is completely dark.
No climate control, no air, no radio, no nav, no clock, no rear defogger/defroster.
Tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes in hopes to reset the ECU. Nothing changed.
The fuses are fine now and not blown.

Another confusing thing is that the power outlet next to the cigarette lighter works fine I use it to power my dashcam and it is working fine and was working fine basically it never stopped getting power and is still working.

Did I burn out the head unit, in my attempts to reinstall the fuses?
Is there a way to troubleshoot the issue a little more and get some conclusive info on what happened?

Any help is highly appreciated.

PXL_20210403_224540925~2.jpg

Your instruction manual should have the table of fuses and what they "control". Have a gander reading it and see if the next "higher" fuse in the "chain" is OK or not.

Hi @ramangain,
I looked at all the fuses in the driver side fuse box in the hood (left) and checked all the fuses in the driver side foot well. No fuse is burned.
Out of ideas, please keep them coming. I really want to avoid taking it to the dealership for this.
Thanks for the help.

Good news, figured out the issue, it was blown cigarette lighter fuse in the cabin front drive side foot well (left).
The cigarette lighter turned out to be the culprit it is now disconnected and just there for cosmetic purposes until the usb port conversation plug thingy arrives.
The thing I find weird is that a blown cigarette lighter fuse was stopping the whole headunit from powering up. 15A fuse.
Thanks for the input, it did turn out to be a fuse just not a higher up the chain fuse 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom