2002 LX Need Another Key/Remote (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently picked up an '02 LX that only came with 1 key(master) and 1 valet key. Looking to pick up another key and am having issues weeding through the options. I initially ordered a key off Amazon that folks said worked great for an '02 LC, but then I received the key and noticed that the LC/LX keys are cut differently.

From what I can tell, my current key isn't even an original. It's one of those Eternity Keys. The blade measures 39.5mm in length. In researching this, some sites say it is a long blade, others short. I'd really rather not pay $120 for another key from a dealer. I've got the techstream data downloaded and am ready to jump into programming myself.

When I punch in my VIN on lexuspartsnow and search for key, I see this as an option. Does anyone have any experience with that part number?

Otherwise, I see another '00 LX owner review said this Amazon key worked for him. Although, when I contacted the seller and asked how long the blade was, they replied that they are just a distributor and don't know.

Anyone have any solid advice for me? Thanks!

I bought the keyless option key for my 98 LX from Amazon. The problem I had was that the center slot wasnt long enough. It would work for the doors, but wouldnt insert deep enough into the ignition. I ended up cutting it longer and it worked fine.

I also ended up buying a duplicating machine and screwed one of the keyless options keys up so I bought these shells and they worked great.

Discount Keyless Entry Remote Uncut Car Key Fob Replacement Case Shell Outer Cover (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5PJXBS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_alWMBb4MZ8Y03

Edit to add

It is a long blade key. It has a 4C tag (chip)

I will add this too. I was a little confused. I was thinking year 2000. That year like mine has the long blade. It measures pretty close to 1.8".

Not sure about length of 2002, but pretty sure it is still a 4C chip. The remote part is easy to program. If you use a non remote key it can still be set as a master.

Discount Keyless Entry Remote Uncut Car Key Fob Replacement Case Shell Outer Cover (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5PJXBS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_alWMBb4MZ8Y03

I don't mind building my own key either. I must not be using the right search terms because I can't really make heads or tails out of finding the alarm portion that would fit inside the key and body from your link as well as the transponder that is needed for the immobilizer. Any thoughts on that?

I will add this too. I was a little confused. I was thinking year 2000. That year like mine has the long blade. It measures pretty close to 1.8".

You think my amazon link is a pretty safe bet for an additional key then since it is described as a long blade? I've never dealt with the LX key cut style before but I can't imagine that any extra length would be detrimental for a working key.

From my quick research the key is a long blade, with a 4c chip. The remote part is different from mine. I am not seeing that part on Amazon for yours. Mine is the same shape and will fit Lexus shells.

I also dont think the extra length makes a difference. Just more of a possibility of it getting broken.

When you buy it try to program the remote before you cut the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad idea. Thanks!

I also ended up buying a duplicating machine and screwed one of the keyless options keys up so I bought these shells and they worked great.

Curious regarding the details of the machine you bought. I received the Amazon key in the mail and it looks like it'll probably work. It's a couple mm longer than my current key, so it'll need to be shaved down a bit.

I've already had the local Ace Hardware tell me they can't cut "outside keys for liability reasons." I wouldn't mind being able to cut my own keys if other places start giving me the run around.

I bought the Defu 368a machine. I bought it off Amazon. Can be found on ebay.

Ah, cool. I was just looking at the model. Thanks!

Not sure if you're past this point already, but I went to my Lexus dealer with my VIN and registration and they gave me the key code for my car. I then purchased a key from 1010keys on eBay, sent them the key code and a picture of my current key. They sent me some messages to confirm a few things (they noticed the photo I sent was a valet key and wanted to know if they should cut the new key to have full access) and sent me two new keys that matched exactly and worked perfectly. I'd recommend them.

A little update on this...

Had a bunch on my plate lately so I'm moving slowly. But I have this Amazon key programmed for the alarm and transponder(security light stops blinking when inserted). Problem is, the length on this key is probably a good 1/8-1/4 in longer than the current key I have. I have talked to 2 locksmiths that only had automatic machines, and wouldn't grind the key down. And then another locksmith that was recommended by one of the other 2 that said they had manual machines. Even they said they wouldn't grind it down because it would compromise the integrity of the blade.

So now I'm wondering, I have half a mind just to order that darn 368A machine and cut this key(and probably a couple more) myself. Grinding included! Or just send the key back and go back to the drawing board. Any suggestions? @Mauser

Just go to Toyota. I had 2 Amazon keys cut for our 01 LX via VIN and registration for about $65 total. Plan to do the same for our 00 LX.

The longer key doesn't really cause a problem that I know of other than its longer. The key will still be cut at the end and will only go in as far as the ignition will allow. Is there something I'm missing?

I have got my moneys worth out of the machine. I cut 9 keys for myself and have cut at least that many for other people.

Just go to Toyota. I had 2 Amazon keys cut for our 01 LX via VIN and registration for about $65 total. Plan to do the same for our 00 LX.

The longer key doesn't really cause a problem that I know of other than its longer. The key will still be cut at the end and will only go in as far as the ignition will allow. Is there something I'm missing?

Do you have a link to the Amazon keys you purchased? Were the blades a different length than your master or the key that you had already? All 3 locksmiths that I have contacted didn't really think the longer key would work and wouldn't grind it down. To me it seems pretty trivial to grind down the end and cut the inside of the blade to match. Maybe I'm missing something.

I have got my moneys worth out of the machine. I cut 9 keys for myself and have cut at least that many for other people.

That's good to hear. Have you had to deal with different length blades in your experience?

My 98 LX has the long key. I can cut a short one and it will work in the door, but not the ignition. My daughter's RX300 uses the short blade, but I cut a long blade key and it works fine. Just sticks out of the ignition a little bit. I dont understand how grinding a long blade down would affect the integrity, you arent cutting anywhere you wouldnt cut on any other blank .

Thanks! Actually, one of the mobile locksmith guy's I called called me back after taking a look at the original and amazon keys together. He thinks that he can cut the key from the tip back instead of from the handle forward. Says he's confident it should work fine still. And like you say, would only make the key stick out of the ignition a bit more. We're planning on meeting tomorrow around lunch so he can get his hands on the 2 keys. I'll post an update after.

I got short blades for my 01 and ordered long blades for my 00. Toyota cut the short blades, will have them cut the long as well - the 00 came with an aftermarket "eternity key" with a long blade.

I always assumed they cut from the tip back....?

The key will still be cut at the end and will only go in as far as the ignition will allow.

Initially, I didn't understand what you were saying here. Sounds like what the locksmith guy described over the phone though.

I always assumed they cut from the tip back....?

I wouldn't really know, I've never had a key like this Lexus where it's cut on the inside instead of top and bottom. Kind of odd in my area when I mentioned the amazon key being longer than my original to the locksmiths, they started to back pedal on being able to cut it. Thanks for chiming in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom