2002 LX 470 - Mechanic Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone - I have a couple of estimates from my local mechanic with a list of items he suggests needing repairs. Local guy by all accounts (my experience, reviews etc...) is honest and fair. We've been going to him for a couple years now after being gouged and cheated by my local Toyota dealership service department.

I was hoping someone who knows their stuff (not me) could look at the 2 PDF files I have that total about $7,200 in needed repairs and let me know what's ACTUALLY needed. I have not 1 mechanical bone in my body, so I'm clueless. My LX drives fine, starts every time.... never had a problem with it and still currently driving it. However, the latest estimates have me shopping for a newer LC/LX/GX and quite frankly, i'm not ready for a new car payment. I love my LX and would like to know how much money I really need to dump into it. Like what is a safety concern. I'm not concerned with comfort items (like the seat memory buttons etc...), I just need to know what items, if not fixed, would be unsafe for me and my family.

Any takers? I'll buy you a case of beer or something to make it worth the trouble. PM me and I'll email the documents ASAP.

Thanks!

Probably easier to post the contents of the PDF here so you can have a community view of everything vs an individual.

Can I attach a word Doc here? I took screenshots of both estimates (for different things needed fixing), but not sure how best to post here. I pasted the images onto a Word doc. I had to do that because my personal info was on the PDFs he sent me.

Probably easier to post the contents of the PDF here so you can have a community view of everything vs an individual.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I was able to attach the estimates. I appreciate your willingness to help!

Big ticket items are:

-Timing belt and water pump replacement, good idea if not done in the past 100k miles.
-removal and replacement of oil pan due to stripped drain plug = don't take your car to Jiffy Lube any more.

Other stuff is probably not critical but would make the truck drive better (bushings and shocks) or more comfortable like cabin air filter.

Big ticket items are:

-Timing belt and water pump replacement, good idea if not done in the past 100k miles.
-removal and replacement of oil pan due to stripped drain plug = don't take your car to Jiffy Lube any more.

Other stuff is probably not critical but would make the truck drive better (bushings and shocks) or more comfortable like cabin air filter.
For the record, never have I taken it to Jiffy Lube, lol. Local repair shop or Toyota dealership is where it has gone since I've owned it. Thanks for your suggestions.

I would do the timing kit with water pump...mostly just to prevent the water pump from failing. Everything else, I'd drive it til it breaks or something annoys you to the point you want to get it fixed....like the bushings if stuff starts to rattle.

The owner of the shop told me that the muffler stuff, if not fixed, could leak CO2 into the car and is dangerous. True or not? He started off asking.... do you have little kids? When I responded yes, he made it sound like that could be dangerous.

Forget about the muffler assembly, throw on a Borla, Doug Thorley, Flowmaster, or other aftermarket muffler and be done with it. Going OEM there is not needed IMHO. As for leaking into the cabin, sure it can happen but only if it's a big leak. A tiny pinhole wouldn't be of any concern to me. A buddy of mine dumped the exhaust of his Bronco right in front of the cat and it would fill the truck with exhaust at stoplights or idle. Healthy? Probably not, but the high lasts only for a short while:)

T-belt w/ water pumps are around $1400 from lex on the highside. Add the fan clutch while doing the work since half of it is out already.

oil pan and gasket, OEM parts and few hours work w/ oil change.
12102-50090 - Toyota Parts Deal:,

AHC system dead and staying in limp mode? maybe think about conversion to standard shocks and springs and don't worry about globe and other part failures. Can also lift it.... Last month I did the conversion w/ diff drop kit for about $1200 in parts and $150 in tool, needed a special 22mm wrench to make the rears possible w/o cutting holes, longest 12mm flex head ratchet wrench and strap wrench. Fox 2.0 $499 for 4 shocks, Swayaway t-bars and $220, OME 860 springs $170, diff drop $260.

Doug Thorley catback is like $470 thru jegs/summit racing...shipped 2 week lead time Doug Thorley Headers 89248 | Doug Thorley Lexus Lx470 100-Series 4.7L 2/4wd (Stainless Steel) Cat-Back Exhaust; 1999-2005

These 100's don't use power steering fluid. Are your AHC shock's weeping? Don't let anyone touch the AHC unless they know what they are doing.

Should I take it to the Lexus dealership and see what they think? I’m seeing a bunch of good info but it’s not like I can do the work!
Thanks guys.

You can do your own power steering flush, spark plugs, filters, sway bar components, and replace the muffler. They're all very easy and there are several threads on those topics detailing step-by-step procedures if you do some searching on this forum (or site restriction on Google)

I'll give you $2k for it. The lx

You can do your own power steering flush, spark plugs, filters, sway bar components, and replace the muffler. They're all very easy and there are several threads on those topics detailing step-by-step procedures if you do some searching on this forum (or site restriction on Google)
I appreciate your confidence in me but let me just reiterate that I’ve never even done an oil change. I’ve changed a tire once. I’m sure I could do it but I don’t have the time, patience, tools or desire to do so. I work on excel spreadsheets and play guitar, that’s all I got!

$2 a qts power steering fluid is the cheap stuff and not what Toyota uses. Have him use synthetic ATF ~$10 qts, and ask that he remove and clean out power steering reservoir (it has a screen in the bottom that gets plugged)

He must have a mistake for turn signal $ lense assembly. They can be had for $60 not $600.

Very often the oil pan drain plug is stripped but not the pan (bolt). Toyota makes the bolt metal softer then the pan. Order a new bolt for $5.00 and have him clean out pan threads. Save $2K.

Too have two front shock leak at same time is rare. Have him flush and watch for leak. If shock just wet that's ok. If dipping wet then replace. They can be bought for less than $200 each.

I'll bet the shop doesn't specialize in just Toyota, NOT GOOD!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom