2002 LX 105k miles vs 2006 LX 220k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

same price for an extra 115k miles? Id go older.... that it tough though because the 5 speeds are a lot nicer to drive than the 4 speeds (I own a 4 speed).
If the 02 is maintained well id go for that......

What is everyones thought? All things being equal other than the mileage? The price is the same.

The 02 is really easy to upgrade the technology in. Just cut and splice about 50 wires and you have 2022 tech in your 2002. Never driven a 5 speed LC but the 4 speed works just fine, especially where it's flat like down south.

I'm the opposite of @krice118 - I'd go for the 2006 w/220k, assuming the condition and maintenance is up to date, or at least on par with the 02.

2006 you get VVTi and 5 speed. Yes there are some additional moving pieces for the VVT system, but the extra horsepower is really amazing.

I had a 99 and now an 06. Both were maintained well prior to my ownership but the 2006 is overall a better driver and has 260k miles on it, vs the 99 having 100k on it when I got it (170k when I sold it)...

Both will require a baseline, EDIT: wheel bearing service, t-case & diff fluid changes and probably bushings in the steering rack...

Last edited:
I'm the opposite of @krice118 - I'd go for the 2006 w/220k, assuming the condition and maintenance is up to date, or at least on par with the 02.

2006 you get VVTi and 5 speed. Yes there are some additional moving pieces for the VVT system, but the extra horsepower is really amazing.

I had a 99 and now an 06. Both were maintained well prior to my ownership but the 2006 is overall a better driver and has 260k miles on it, vs the 99 having 100k on it when I got it (170k when I sold it)...

Both will require a baseline, wheel bearings, t-case & diff fluid changes and probably bushings in the steering rack...
As never owning both, this would be a better opinion to follow. I wish i could put a 5 speed in my 98 after driving a 2004....

From what I understand, the newer models have about 10% more power (assuming from the regearing)

Assuming either option will last similar lifespans (lifespans in this context is mileage and not years) and an annual average of 15k miles, the ‘02 will last 7 years longer than the ‘06 …. ie, if you took both and used them equivalently from today onwards, the ‘02 would still be trucking for 7 years longer than the ‘06 … makes sense?

Which one has better maintenance history?

What is everyones thought? All things being equal other than the mileage? The price is the same.
06 for the higher hp and 5-speed tranny. Then go for a full baseline maintenance. Hopefully rust is not an issue

If the price is due to the 105k miles of the '02, then the '06 is probably the best deal. I would be considerably less confident in such low mileage than normal healthy mileage of the '06. Although, the '06 has an interference engine and the '02 has an interference NAV system. The '06 may be your best poison.

Are the chassis equally rust free in both?

I've got a 2002 LX470 with 64K miles and a 2004 LC with 240K miles.
The 2004 is noticeable peppier due I suppose to the 5 speed transmission.
BUT, both are exceptional vehicles and extremely reliable.
I would go with the nicest one, the best price, the better maintenance history.
You really can't make a wrong decision.

Equivalent, both have had all standard maintenance. Only major repairs came from the 06 with the master brake cylinder being replaced and the AC compressor.
I’d buy the 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom