2002 LC | Transmission Slips in Second (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a 2002 LC tomorrow and the seller says that the transmission slips in second and shudders up hills unless put into L. It hasn't thrown any codes and the fluid came out clean. Assuming these are all true, what could cause this issue and is this common? Did a brief search on here and couldn't find anything specific. I was hoping someone can throw some information or experience my way and I could check for things tomorrow to hopefully narrow down the issue. Thanks.

have Stephen at OverLand Cruisers have a look at it
@bagochips76

if it is bad I've got a spare trans in Helena

These transmissions are pretty picky on fluid level, make sure the level is correct when transmission temp is hot.

Did the issue exist prior to new fluid being put in(assuming they changed it)? If not, I’d be curious how they changed the fluid as a flush can sometimes do more harm than good. If they only drained it then confirm the level is correct.

I’d suspect a bad CV axle and/or drive flange, or low transmission fluid.

Last edited:
My 06 is doing the same thing. Then all the sudden it stop slipping going into 2nd and now shudders in reverse. It’s getting diagnosed now. I’ll report back.

have Stephen at OverLand Cruisers have a look at it
@bagochips76

if it is bad I've got a spare trans in Helena
Thanks for the info! I’ll take it to him if it’s something I can’t diagnose. And I’ll definitely be making a trip to Helena if it’s a new transmission I need!

Did the issue exist prior to new fluid being put in(assuming they changed it)? If not, I’d be curious how they changed the fluid as a flush can sometimes do more harm than good. If they only drained it then confirm the level is correct.
Seems the owner was pretty meticulous about getting it maintained, with pretty regular services. Too bad I can’t get much info out of the seller since he isn’t even the owner. I think I’ll try and see if I can get some paperwork to look at next time I look and maybe talk to their shop about it.

I’d suspect a bad CV axle and/or drive flange, or low transmission fluid.
Now that you mention it, the front left cv axle was a little oily when I went to look at it earlier today and the boot was slightly torn. Didn’t even think to make the connection since the suspension for my rallycross car that I’m used to looking at is in shambles 😅

There is a splined interface between the CV axle and the hub. Usually when it wears out, the transmission or transfer case is initially blamed. If engaging the diff lock makes the problem “go away”, this is the most likely source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom