2002 Land Cruiser timing belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I purchased my Land Cruiser earlier this year it had 205k when I bought it. It now has 213k on it. It has run great this whole time, I was able to track down the last time the timing belt and water pump was replaced and it was at 125k at a Toyota dealer. I hear that 100k miles on a timing belt is really the max you should go. With that being said is it safe to go to 225k until I change it? I’m a little short on funds at the moment due to moving across the country and getting a new job so I don’t really want to drop money on that at the moment but it is on my radar. Any suggestions? Side note I drive a lot and will probably hit 225k by June of 2023.

If I remember correctly, the recommendation is 7 years, or 90k miles.

It's probably an OE belt if the work was done at a dealer and they probably changed the pulleys. If the work was done well stretching the interval to 100k should be fine. You have not told us what model year - there is more at stake if this is an 06-07 VVT engine than if it's a 1998-2005 non-VVT. An inspection of the belt is prudent and easy. You're going to want to do that on the passenger side.

You can pull back the passenger side cover a little to get a peek. If you see any pink (coolant crust) or cracking of the belt I'd be cautious. An inspection camera is very helpful here as you can see the inside of the belt.

You should be fine. If timing belt was to happen to break. 98% change engine (98-05) would be fine.

We've seen factory belts go 20yr/250K miles, and still okay. Belt condition depends somewhat, on climate vehicle used in. Some may go even more miles/years.

But since last T-belt was done at a Toyota Dealership. They likely did not replace the tensioner, tension pulley or idler pulley. You can check with Toyota, for list of parts used to confirm. It is the pulleys, we're most concerned with. Failure of pulley bearings or water pump, is what takes out most timing belts.

Easy test: Remove drive belt first on cold engine start and listen. Than a second time on warmed-up engine. Why cold and warm. Pulley bearings, tend to chirp more cold. If still chirping after warm up, failure is at-hand.

My Prizm (Made by toyota) had it's first t-belt at 175K miles! ONLY OEM belts can go beyond 100K mile mark. OEM belt at 100K miles still looks brand new while any A/M belt at 90K shows significant signs of wear including cracks.

It's probably an OE belt if the work was done at a dealer and they probably changed the pulleys.
I’ve never seen a dealer replace any of the pulleys when doing a t-belt job unless specifically requested by the owner. They are notorious for slapping on a new belt and water pump with old and often worn out pulleys, tensioners, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom