2002 L.C. Leans/Sags? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone else had a problem with the truck leaning ? Mine is 1/2" lower on the L/F than the R/F. 1" lower on L/R than R/R. What is the fix or is not worth messing with? The 2002 Landcruiser rides straight and feels good over bumps but looks a little lean :) Thanks for any input. Jeff

The front Torsion bar can be adjusted simply with a socket wrench. Jack up the front and give the T-bar adjustment bolt 3 full turns, clockwise. Lower the jack, drive 10-15 feet and remeasure. The rear will need OME trim packers or something like it. They come in 10mm size and you can use a maximum of two.

Adjusting the front Left front T-bar can/will also effect Right Rear height. So, adjust the L/F first, then adjust the rear, if needed.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get an alignment done after you make the adjustments.

Mine has the same lean but I have yet to get under and adjust the Tbars. I'm putting it off until I get the Bilsteins underneath or maybe the front bearing repack I need to do.

So little time so many reasons to procrastinate.

Does anybody know why this happens? Mine was an inch different.Did not know which way was right, up or down.Does toyota list a stock hieght or are they all a little different? I think tyey look funny running around all crooked.It will most likely fix the back once you have the front level.:cool:

Had the left sag on my 80, very noticable at 30-40 k miles at least.
On the 100 the AHC takes care of the sag. Probably should check the TBs/springs though.

I believe the sag comes from that the fuel tank is on the left, and the driver, and the battery. In Japan, and other RHD countries, a fat driver would compensate for the fuel being on the opposite side.;)

BTW, there are more people (not vehicles, maybe) with RHD taffic on the planet (China, India, Aus, Japan, UK, parts of Africa, where else?) so maybe it makes sense that Toyota put the exhaust on the right and the fuel on the left.

Last edited:
Does toyota list a stock hieght or are they all a little different?
uHu listed the FSM details for stock ride height. You'll have to search for it.

Uhu, What's interesting is the 80 series has different length coils on the Left and Right side. But if I'm not mistaken, the longer coil is on the Left (our Driver's side) whether or not the vehicle is LHD or RHD.

Last edited:
[snip]
BTW, there are more people (not vehicles, maybe) with RHD taffic on the planet (China, India, Aus, Japan, UK, parts of Africa, where else?) so maybe it makes sense that Toyota put the exhaust on the right and the fuel on the left.

Unless you're referring to Hong Kong, China is left-hand drive, at least when I visited in '94. Many of the ex-British colonies are right-hand drive (can only think of the Middle East as exceptions).

Unless you're referring to Hong Kong, China is left-hand drive, at least when I visited in '94. Many of the ex-British colonies are right-hand drive (can only think of the Middle East as exceptions).

:whoops:

Thanks.
Better check my sources...

I posted this link awhile back. In short, it says more countries drive on the right (basically LHD but not always the case). It also says, the total population of the right side drivers in those countries is greater than the total population of the left side drivers by about 2 to 1. The problem is, it does not count the "actual" number of drivers that drive on the right/left. There is a high population in China but not that many drivers.

attachment.php

Uhu, What's interesting is the 80 series has different length coils on the Left and Right side. But if I'm not mistaken, the longer coil is on the Left (our Driver's side) whether or not the vehicle is LHD or RHD.

Yeah, thougth about that too. Wonder if it is to compensate for the fuel tank.

I don't have the EPC installed, but looked in the paper version that came with my 80 in 1997. Established that the fronts have different numbers for left & right, but they are the same for RHD & LHD. No lenghts given. And no spring rate!

For the rears the matrix was too complicated to get the full picture. It is different for left & right, different for RHD & LHD, different for SOB (swing out back door) and LUB (lift up back door), etc, etc.
But, for my LHD 80, the left is specified clearly longer than the right, and for one model RHD, there seems to the same spring for left & right, while for other RHD models, there is a difference.
Prbly easier to see with the EPC.

Have you ever balanced the LX's front springs? Will the same "weakening" of the left TB happen with AHC?

Nepal is a left-driving country. This map shows it as right-driving.

I posted this link awhile back. In short, it says more countries drive on the right (basically LHD but not always the case). It also says, the total population of the right side drivers in those countries is greater than the total population of the left side drivers by about 2 to 1. The problem is, it does not count the "actual" number of drivers that drive on the right/left. There is a high population in China but not that many drivers.

attachment.php

The accompanying link also lists Nepal as left-driving.

The accompanying link also lists Nepal as left-driving.

It is kinda crazy. We are a landlocked country with China to the North and India on the other three directions. The petrol tankers coming from China (very rare) looked weird because they came from a RH driving country. Several public transportation vehicles come from China or Germany. So the vehicles made for RH countries get drivin on the LH in Nepal as well.

On an unrelated note, being landlocked sucks. Totally.

I believe the Tbars tend to vary a bit in spring rate and like all springs that rate changes slowly over time. The real advantage is that the individual variation is pretty easy to adjust for in a Tbar compared to a coil spring.

In a thread a while back there was some discussion about where bars were indexed in the cruisers most of which had never been touched since the factory. Quite a bit of variation. At the factory they must put in the bars and then adjust to a height spec.

Thats what I thought,what is the factory height spec?

TRFCSUX - Have you tried a search ? I think we had some good threads on this problem and various solutions awhile back.

In the FSM it says to measure from the center of the front hub to the ground and then from the center of the front bolt on the lower suspension arm to the ground. The suspension arm measurement should be 71 mm lower than the hub measurement. Rears are similar. Center hub to ground. Center of lower control arm bolt to ground. Difference = 51mm.

Here's an illustration of the measurement, with the specs for the world outside the US.
Note the differences in height and rake for different areas.
IMG_5246s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom