2002...Cranks, but doesn't start...Immobilizer light keeps flashing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

I'm new to the forum and wanted to share the issue and its solution I had during the last two weeks.

Few weeks ago my 2002 Cruiser didn't want to start, it cranked but didn't start and the Immobilizer light kept flashing. After around 40minutes of trying, it suddenly started.
However, two weeks ago on a Saturday morning the car showed out of the blue the same symptoms...Cranks, doesn't start & Immobilizer light kept flashing.
I googled around and found some threads were people describe a similar issue and a Valet key that's not accepted anymore from the computer. A Locksmith was the solution to the issue described in the post I found. With high hopes I was calling a local Locksmith that was recommended to me, since I received only one key with the car as well. He came over and started his troubleshooting.
First attempt was the anntenaring, which didn't send the signal when putting the key in. Few days later, new anntenaring arrived and was installed...unfortunately no recovery from the issue. Next attempt was the computer, since all his programmers couldn't establish communication with the computer. New computer installed, no recovery :-(
Next attempt was the wiring between the OBD-Plug and the computer, which didn't lead to a recovery.
The Locksmith then did more research and spoke to a Toyota Tech, which at the end gave him a lead into the right direction. The EFI-Relais was burned and was identified as the root cause by jumping circuit #1&#3. Today he installed the new Relais...the car started and communication to the computer could be established to program a new Masterkey....I'm happy as I could be.

I hope this will help someone, that has the same issue.

Take care, Oliver

I did the relay bypass method and had no success, any help?

Last edited:
Hi, I was just yesterday evening left stranded with the exact same issue. This time the motor died on me in the middle of an intersection...however, my first attempt to troubleshoot was the EFI-Relais again. After I opened the cover to expose the relais, I noticed that the Relais was switching when I touched it, or the surrounding Relais/area of the box. There was obviously a loose connection or a broken wire. I managed it to recover my cruiser from it's non operational condition, by wiggling at the relais and drove home the last mile. At home I opened the whole cover/box to expose the wiring that goes to the socket for the EFI-Relais. I made sure to tighten the connection between the wiring and the relais. After that I couldn't get the relais to switch anymore by wiggling it, or the surrounding area. Maybe you have a loose connection to your relais? I hope this helps....

I did the relay bypass method and had no success, any help?

A quick test to see if you need the bypass is to run a wire from battery positive terminal to "F" with solid connection, then insert the key to see if the blinking security light stops, and try to start the car. If the car doesn't start with 12V to "F", then the problem is some where else and this bypass will not work for you.

A healthy battery is also needed for this to work. I had some customers who couldn't get the car to start with the bypass kit until the battery is fully charged.

I am from Trinidad West Indies i program keys and repair ecus. I am having with a 2003 landcruiser Prado all the keys are lost tried programming new keys with 4c 4d clone transponder chip that clones most toyota transponder chips, I ERASED ALL THE KEYS IN THE IMMOBILISER programmed the new keys and the vehicle cranks but will not start checking for a signal on the antenna coil not getting a beep or lighting on the two antenna coil tools that i own . I am beginning to get frustrated can someone please help with this issue.thanks

A quick test to see if you need the bypass is to run a wire from battery positive terminal to "F" with solid connection, then insert the key to see if the blinking security light stops, and try to start the car. If the car doesn't start with 12V to "F", then the problem is some where else and this bypass will not work for you.

A healthy battery is also needed for this to work. I had some customers who couldn't get the car to start with the bypass kit until the battery is fully charged.

Hi this amazing stuff. My lx is having the same issue. It started without a problem when I connected ‘F’ to the battery directly. My question is...is it ok for me to use the car like this until I get to the car shop? In other words....I want to drive the lx with no efi relay in place and just a wire from 12v directly to ‘F’ for about 30 miles. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi this amazing stuff. My lx is having the same issue. It started without a problem when I connected ‘F’ to the battery directly. My question is...is it ok for me to use the car like this until I get to the car shop? In other words....I want to drive the lx with no efi relay in place and just a wire from 12v directly to ‘F’ for about 30 miles. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There is no fuse protection by running with a wire connection like that. I would add an inline 20A fuse for protection. Disconnect the wire when the engine is not running otherwise it will drain your battery.

Yes thank you very much. One last question, if I use the oem relay for your bypass fix, does terminal 87 correspond to ‘F’ plug of the oem relay? And the other Bosch terminals correspond directly to oem locations?

Yes thank you very much. One last question, if I use the oem relay for your bypass fix, does terminal 87 correspond to ‘F’ plug of the oem relay?

It can be, it depends on how you wire the relay.

And the other Bosch terminals correspond directly to oem locations?

The other terminals correspond to the other terminals of the OEM relay. I am not sure about the OEM locations since the footprint of both relays are different.

Hi, terminal A to fuse to plug E of the relay, plug F of the relay to terminal F, plug D of the relay to terminal D, plug C of the relay to terminal C. Terminal B and E were not used. This set up didn’t work. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom