2002 a343f on its way out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings all,

I recently towed a Fj60 about 60miles (twice actually) on a flatbed trailer with my 2002 uzj100. Never had any strange noises or humms before or during towing. Drove with the OD off for most of the drive only hitting the button back on when on easy stretches.

As I was driving back without a load, a humm started very briefly and went away. A day later it was back briefly... and went away. When I turn OD off the noise appeared to stop.

I’ve been reading all I can on the forum and simply can’t stop thinking, Is the trans toast? A quick look at the fluid and it’s still clean, void of metal flecks, and filled to the correct level. I have Toyota atf on the way and plan to drop the pan and filter. Anything I should be looking for? Plan on inspecting while I’m down there?

Did you end up finding anything when you dropped your pan? I don't like the way my O/D sounds, so I'm curious.

I drained the trans. No metal in the pan. No signs of issues. I ended up buying Toyota brand ATF and the problem went away after a few miles. It still hums a little between acceleration and deceleration. It’s odd and I think it may be a u joint?

trans never slipped or any other signs of failure. Guess I’ll drive it until it grenades...

One other pointer, get a OBD2 reader and the OBD Fusion app. Buy the 2002 FJ100 dataset. You’ll be able to monitor the trans temp. The noise happened above 190 degrees. I rarely see it go above 180 after a drain and new fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom