2001 transmission question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! I’ve bought a 2001 (2000/8 - according to toyodiy, so not exactly sure) HDJ100. I’m new to 4spd boxes, my other car is a prius, and the previous car was a 5spd 2008 accord - I think that had a more electronic type of transmission.

Anyway with the cruiser, sometimes, but not always during I’m coming to a stop but still rolling it feels like it stays in 2nd and doesn’t go into 1st or neutralish (doesn’t disconnect the wheels from the engine. Sorry for my bad english, I’m probably failing badly explaining what I experience). Like when pulling up for a rolling left turn. If I stop completely and get off again it is then in 1st. It’s just when gliding (?) slowly that it sometimes feels like it stays in 2nd.

Other rare times in the same scenario it happens that it feels like it goes into neutral and need a bit of a time for it to re-engage power. So the engine revs up but the pull lags for half a second or a second.

Most of the times it feels like the accord did.

Not sure if this is normal with these oldish trannys, or if it’s something to do with my driving style. Oil looks new, level is correct, experienced it yet only after a couple miles (~10), so engine hot already

Appreciate your thoughts about it!

You're A. English is great.

Not much to add but going over large speed humps, not bumps, trans tends to hang me in second once departing hump, if i go reasonably slow. As in if i step on gas, can tell not in first after hump. Always has, with 4sp 100 as well as 6sp 200. Which is frequently, as they are in my neighborhood.

Never worried about it.

You're A. English is great.

Not much to add but going over large speed humps, not bumps, trans tends to hang me in second once departing hump, if i go reasonably slow. As in if i step on gas, can tell not in first after hump. Always has, with 4sp 100 as well as 6sp 200. Which is frequently, as they are in my neighborhood.

Never worried about it.

Thank you very much! I’ll try and not care about it much until it worsens:)

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom