2001 LC- Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about buying a 2001 Land Cruiser from my neighbor. She hasn't driven it in a while but she said the transmission slips out of reverse and in D when going up-hill. She never took it off road and its completely stock. 250K on the LC. Do you guys know if this is known issue? I have an 80 but know little about the 100s. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you--Dan

Depending on how much shed let it go for get it anyways. Its known that certain batches of 01 transmission were bad, but there are plenty parts trucks to be found at this point which have good trans left in them

Depending on how much shed let it go for get it anyways. Its known that certain batches of 01 transmission were bad, but there are plenty parts trucks to be found at this point which have good trans left in them
Thank you for the response. I think there may be a defective TC on certain years.

Thank you for the response. I think there may be a defective TC on certain years.

I’ve heard lots of people initially claim that they had transfer case issues (in a US market 100 series), in almost every case, it turned out to be a CV-axle/drive flange issue. I don’t recall anyone actually having a transfer case issue.

Why would you think that some years might have a transfer case defect?

It’s my understanding that it’s basically the same transfer case as the 80 series, but without the viscous coupler of the 80 series. In my experience both have been as durable/reliable as an anvil.

It's the '00 MY trucks that have reported more transmission failures here in the microcosm of Mud, not 01. And the TC is pretty much bulletproof, not sure where you're hearing there's a defect.

I would do a thorough prepurchase inspection and also see if you can replicate the issue.

It's the '00 MY trucks that have reported more transmission failures here in the microcosm of Mud, not 01. And the TC is pretty much bulletproof, not sure where you're hearing there's a defect.

I would do a thorough prepurchase inspection and also see if you can replicate the issue.
I think it was the
I’ve heard lots of people initially claim that they had transfer case issues (in a US market 100 series), in almost every case, it turned out to be a CV-axle/drive flange issue. I don’t recall anyone actually having a transfer case issue.

Why would you think that some years might have a transfer case defect?

It’s my understanding that it’s basically the same transfer case as the 80 series, but without the viscous coupler of the 80 series. In my experience both have been as durable/reliable as an anvil.
I apologize. I saw some old posts that were referring to a Torque Converter (TC) and there was a service advisory (or something similar) issued about it. She said it only slips under load (up hill) so I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the CV joints. She never had those replaced.

I would do a thorough prepurchase inspection and also see if you can replicate the issue.B
By TC I mean Torque Converter

My Mistake, I thought it was the 01s.

2001s also have a high failure rate, not as high as 2000 but higher than other years. There's only about half as many 01s compared to 00s because of the introduction of the Sequoia in 2001.

Chiming in as similar mileage here. O1 with 263k and being told new transmission needed from trusted shop. Thought it was just the Torque converter but told the front output shaft bearing is stripped and not allowing pump to provide any pressure. $4300 quoted price as of now.

Chiming in as similar mileage here. O1 with 263k and being told new transmission needed from trusted shop. Thought it was just the Torque converter but told the front output shaft bearing is stripped and not allowing pump to provide any pressure. $4300 quoted price as of now.
Was it slipping out of R and D under stress?

told the front output shaft bearing is stripped and not allowing pump to provide any pressure
1652887619065.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom