2001 lc Transmission Failure and now P0141 & P0161? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, my first post ever on here but I'm a long time reader and learner here, thanks to everyone for all of your help over the years.

Short version: Just had my transmission replaced with a used one, and soon after that the CEL came on with codes P0141 & P0161. Soon after replaced both the downstream sensors with Denso 234-4154 which is supposed to be the OEM part (I think?), and the CEL came back. Thinking the mechanic maybe screwed up the wiring harness? Any ideas?

Long version: I blew the transmission in my 2001 lc with 160k. I take it on trails from time to time but I do not abuse it at all. I am the second owner, I bought it from someone about 5 years ago who bought it new and never ever took it offroad. A few months ago I drove it to Las Vegas from Los Angeles to buy a car (is300 5spd) and rented a uhaul car trailer in vegas, loaded up the car, and headed home. I got a little more than half way home, cruising at a comfortable 55-60mph with OD off, and the trans suddenly shredded. It was the first (and last) time I ever towed with it. It was a tricky situation being stuck in the middle of the desert at sunset with a truck that wouldn't move under its own power connected to a rented trailer with a car on the trailer that had no license plates and bald horrifically cracked tires. Thank god for AAA though. Anyways, I found a local transmission guy and had the truck brought to his house, as there was no transmission shop for a long ways. I found a used lc trans with fewer miles on it than my truck and had it delivered to him for $450, pretty sweet.

So I go to pick up the truck finally when the trans has been swapped with the new/used one, and I hop in to test it out. I drive maybe 1.5 miles, trans is smooth and nice, but then the CEL comes on. I've never seen it come on before since I bought the truck. I went back to the mechanic guy and asked him to run the codes which he did, and it said the o2 sensors so I thought, oh well I can do that myself later. Now that I have changed both of them and the codes come back I am not sure where to look next. I have ordered a multimeter and it will be here soon. Does anyone know what exactly I will be looking for with the multimeter at the o2 harness plug?

Thanks again everyone

Last edited:
Hey guys, my first post ever on here but I'm a long time reader and learner here, thanks to everyone for all of your help over the years.

Short version: Just had my transmission replaced with a used one, and soon after that the CEL came on with codes P0141 & P0161. Soon after replaced both the downstream sensors with Denso 234-4154 which is supposed to be the OEM part (I think?), and the CEL came back. Thinking the mechanic maybe screwed up the wiring harness? Any ideas?

Long version: I blew the transmission in my 2001 lc with 160k. I take it on trails from time to time but I do not abuse it at all. I am the second owner, I bought it from someone about 5 years ago who bought it new and never ever took it offroad. A few months ago I drove it to Las Vegas from Los Angeles to buy a car (is300 5spd) and rented a uhaul car trailer in vegas, loaded up the car, and headed home. I got a little more than half way home, cruising at a comfortable 55-60mph with OD off, and the trans suddenly shredded. It was the first (and last) time I ever towed with it. It was a tricky situation being stuck in the middle of the desert at sunset with a truck that wouldn't move under its own power connected to a rented trailer with a car on the trailer that had no license plates and bald horrifically cracked tires. Thank god for AAA though. Anyways, I found a local transmission guy and had the truck brought to his house, as there was no transmission shop for a long ways. I found a used lc trans with fewer miles on it than my truck and had it delivered to him for $450, pretty sweet.

So I go to pick up the truck finally when the trans has been swapped with the new/used one, and I hop in to test it out. I drive maybe 1.5 miles, trans is smooth and nice, but then the CEL comes on. I've never seen it come on before since I bought the truck. I went back to the mechanic guy and asked him to run the codes which he did, and it said the o2 sensors so I thought, oh well I can do that myself later. Now that I have changed both of them and the codes come back I am not sure where to look next. I have ordered a multimeter and it will be here soon. Does anyone know what exactly I will be looking for with the multimeter at the o2 harness plug?

Thanks again everyone

Bummer situation, sorry to hear about it.

I'd be tracing my O2 wires as far as possible. This sounds like when removing the exhaust to drop the trans it was damaged.

Were the O2s replaced with parts you trust the quality of?

Looks like a gasket is needed. How are yours?

1456e42f57848cfe23bbcee019c1b168.png

Were the O2s replaced with parts you trust the quality of?

Yea they are new Denso 234-4154 which are supposedly OE and the best way to go. I bought them on amazon for about $55 each. It is possible I got the wrong parts though.

Looks like a gasket is needed. How are yours?
The Denso's came with new gaskets so I replaced those too.

Side note - Once I figure out and fix the CEL issue I am going to be putting the truck up for sale in case anyone in SoCal is interested.

Hi y'all, I think I found the issue causing the CEL. There are three wire harness connectors directly behind the engine. I had to lay my entire self over the engine to get to them. The connector on the passenger side is butchered. It was barely held together, I gently pulled on it and it came right out. I tried to clip it back but it doesn't clip. It is all mangled on its face, it looks like it got crushed by the mechanic who was replacing the transmission... (he, of course, denies this. Sigh)
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.47.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.47.36 PM.png

The only place I can find this connector is from china, ali express: US $15.25 5% OFF|5 Sets 11 Pin car waterproof connector 6189 0375 harness connector plug DJ7118 4.8 2.3 21|Connectors| - AliExpress

The FSM calls it "EB3 Dark Grey, Engine Wire and Transmission Wire (On the Transmission)"
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.49.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.49.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.50.16 PM.png

Does anyone know where I can get one of these that won't take 2 months to get here?

Does anyone have experience changing these? I figure I'll buy a terminal removal tool to help.

Thanks!

Hi y'all, I think I found the issue causing the CEL. There are three wire harness connectors directly behind the engine. I had to lay my entire self over the engine to get to them. The connector on the passenger side is butchered. It was barely held together, I gently pulled on it and it came right out. I tried to clip it back but it doesn't clip. It is all mangled on its face, it looks like it got crushed by the mechanic who was replacing the transmission... (he, of course, denies this. Sigh)
View attachment 2377008
View attachment 2377009
The only place I can find this connector is from china, ali express: US $15.25 5% OFF|5 Sets 11 Pin car waterproof connector 6189 0375 harness connector plug DJ7118 4.8 2.3 21|Connectors| - AliExpress

The FSM calls it "EB3 Dark Grey, Engine Wire and Transmission Wire (On the Transmission)"
View attachment 2377011
View attachment 2377012
View attachment 2377013
Does anyone know where I can get one of these that won't take 2 months to get here?

Does anyone have experience changing these? I figure I'll buy a terminal removal tool to help.

Thanks!
I can’t say anything about the connector. However the bolt is loose to the left in your first pic. Just a FYI.

Obviously the transmission guy did this. There is no other way that connector was damaged.

You can try for a used harness from a junk yard or buy a pinned, non OEM harness and wire it in.

He did a number on that harness. The bolts on the bell housing likely are varying lengths. If that bolt there doesn't go in any further, pull it and find an opposing bolt and back that one out and check lengths.

Hope you got a good deal on the labor.

I'd check my fluid level per FSM as well as consider exchanging whatever fluid he put in as this guy cut some corners.

Look for the number embossed on the old wire connector and then search 90980-(the numbers on the connector) . Try partsouq.com, they ship from Dubai and will get to your door within 4-6 days! I never had to wait more than 10 days to receive any part.

I took the towing hitch on my LC long ago.. as I don't tow and it is just a dead weight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom