Builds 2001 LC HZJ78 AK -RESTORATION- For Overland (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am planning to assemble everything in January or March depending on the time I have between work and travels! Would love to see some pictures of your setup

It's pretty simple. VERY light - approx 50lbs for both cabinets and all the wood. I've added a bunch of auxiliary equipment since (Webasto cabin heater, bench cushion, water tank, etc). This is just the bare bones build.

TroopyBuild-60.jpg

TroopyBuild-61.jpg

TroopyBuild-56.jpg

TroopyBuild-42.jpg

It's pretty simple. VERY light - approx 50lbs for both cabinets and all the wood. I've added a bunch of auxiliary equipment since (Webasto cabin heater, bench cushion, water tank, etc). This is just the bare bones build.

Man, that's a very sexy set up you mad there! I love the layout too! I adore the wood it fell home :) Did you make any bracket to bolt those cabinet in the quarter panel or on the floor?

View attachment 3198300

Man, that's a very sexy set up you have there @Bogan! I love the layout too! I adore the wood it fell home :) I am also considering doiing the counter in cherry wood but at this time need to research more about the weight overall

Did you make any bracket to bolt those cabinet in the quarter panel or unse the space bolt patenr on the floor?

Started to put back together the dash need to replace the PAD and clusters it’s a little to used for my taste… fitted the Nardi and did car-builders sound detonating all around! My brother canceled me last minute for the Alucab so we need to reschedule

Got my tub too from Cruiser brother :)

Need get the locks and the window done …

B4BC9EF8-43B0-49C2-BE21-2F2A5D5D9034.jpeg

C568AB06-CAAF-4187-8BF2-B75A92982CB9.jpeg

D1A65A35-B3B2-42B3-876F-10EFE9B952F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Tommy, this Is looking fantastic. Have you tested the heating system yet?

I just purchased an Espar hydronic that was on deal on Amazon. Still waiting for my axles. Body is in the body shop (since February...). Hopes keeps us moving.

Cheers mate and Happy New Year.

Tommy, this Is looking fantastic. Have you tested the heating system yet?

I just purchased an Espar hydronic that was on deal on Amazon. Still waiting for my axles. Body is in the body shop (since February...). Hopes keeps us moving.

Cheers mate and Happy New Year.

Hi Ofer, thanks mate! I have pre install the espar but not tested it since I got my truck back a few weeks ago! Next for me is the Alucab! Body work was extremely long I fell your wait 😱

Hope is are fuel 😎🚀 definitely looking forward to continue in 2023 wish your are your family all the best keep on dreaming of a true overland bound 💯

Missed your questions before! I was out camping in the desert for two weeks. The cabinets are bolted to the stud wall, using existing holes. I installed 3/8" Mass Loaded Vinyl to the tub after I sealed the metal with Master Series paint. Then I put down 1/2" Baltic Birch, a 1/4" felt pad, and OE cargo mat. The ply is bolted to the seat bracket holes. It's VERY secure.

Re: heat - I installed a Webasto Air Top 2000 in the rear quarter where the bottle jack usually goes. Then used a step bit to widen the jack holes and ran everything through those holes.

IMG_7895.JPG

IMG_7896.JPG

IMG_7899.JPG

Missed your questions before! I was out camping in the desert for two weeks. The cabinets are bolted to the stud wall, using existing holes. I installed 3/8" Mass Loaded Vinyl to the tub after I sealed the metal with Master Series paint. Then I put down 1/2" Baltic Birch, a 1/4" felt pad, and OE cargo mat. The ply is bolted to the seat bracket holes. It's VERY secure.

Re: heat - I installed a Webasto Air Top 2000 in the rear quarter where the bottle jack usually goes. Then used a step bit to widen the jack holes and ran everything through those holes.

View attachment 3208968

View attachment 3208969

View attachment 3208970
Very nice setup. How well your floor insulation works (sound/heat)? Do you have a setup for water/hot water?

Cheers mate!

Mass-loaded vinyl is some of the densest insulation you can buy. It's HEAVY! I put Havlock wool insulation in the stud walls and doors. I skipped the Carbuilders/Dynamat treatment as I've seen cars get rusted out from water/condensation buildup. Right now, we can turn the heater on and warm the car to 65º from 30º in about 30 minutes.

Hot water? I run a kettle and a rag... ;) We ain't that fancy. It's touring, not RVing. :)

We have a 15g water tank behind our fridge.

2022Mojave-175.jpg

Mass-loaded vinyl is some of the densest insulation you can buy. It's HEAVY! I put Havlock wool insulation in the stud walls and doors. I skipped the Carbuilders/Dynamat treatment as I've seen cars get rusted out from water/condensation buildup. Right now, we can turn the heater on and warm the car to 65º from 30º in about 30 minutes.

Hot water? I run a kettle and a rag... ;) We ain't that fancy. It's touring, not RVing. :)

View attachment 3208984
I'm going through the tedious process of restoring one, and decided to do a hydronic system. Also, always worried about having these heaters inside the cab. I know they are designed for this... I just got a really good deal on a hydronic Espar that we also used in a sprinter van. I am using @mt72 idea of mounting under the body. I'm mounting it between the rails behind the fuel tank with a 3 gallons aluminum glycol tank. I travel with my wife so got to hot shower daily. ;).

I will use the same bolt in the wall as well but planning to re-do a frame un alu to keep the cabinet in place and also bolt some gear inside the quarter panel! Very nice setup mate!

Havelock wool insulation seems a very good option I am considering it 100% as per I need the cabin to be warm on the Artic night :)

Last edited:
I will use the same bolt in the wall as well but planning to re-do a frame un alu to keep the cabinet in place and also bolt some gear inside the quarter panel! Very nice setup mate!
@mt72 are you planning to powder coat yours?

Cabinets and frame will be in paint with IMRON or Powder coated I am not certain wich one
We are extremely happy with the industrial power coating we did on the cabinets in the 80. 4 years and 75K miles of adventure travel and they look new. I am not very familiar with IMRON coating.

We are extremely happy with the industrial power coating we did on the cabinets in the 80. 4 years and 75K miles of adventure travel and they look new. I am not very familiar with IMRON coating.

IMRON is a industrial paint use for mostly equipment coatings, bridges, etc it’s super resistant and when you applied clear coats it’s very hard to scratch this is the paint used for my Troopy

A lot of bicycles were painted with Imron in the 1980s and 1990s. It's as tough as powder, as long as you allow it to cure for 30-60 days...

A lot of bicycles were painted with Imron in the 1980s and 1990s. It's as tough as powder, as long as you allow it to cure for 30-60 days...
I have a good friend that I lent him the money to start an industrial paint shop. Payoff was that he sand blast and powder coats everything for free. It’s an easy chose for me (except picking which color)😀

Completed the installation of the window! Missing an outer weather strip for some reason forgot the order! New runs etc... not much place for some havelock in the front doors...Wondering if 15SQM will be good for all the truck. Havelock

I repainted the run holder and the bolt holding it + I got lucky with a nice Key chain "+"

I have to pick up the door handle they are black! Then I will put the doors restore kits and time

IMG_9301.jpeg

IMG_9322 2.jpeg

IMG_9321 2.jpeg

Sanding the radiator grill today it’s ready to be punched to 3´´ hole in preparation for the PDI intercooler. Also worked on the Safari snorkel they don’t say anything about cutting the air intakes! Tomorrow’s project then will sand it and paint it in black

First coat of epoxy primer done ✅ this product is amazing it penetrates deep and cover the metal no more gun holes both floors are done along with the walls interiors 😌

Both interior floors and exterior will be white in Gator 🐊

I will update for more in a few day working to finish sanding the frame and some minor’s welding spots !

View attachment 3077620View attachment 3077621
Is that just one bolt on each corner holding the whole body?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom