Builds 2001 LC HZJ78 AK -RESTORATION- For Overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mid Section cleaned the best I can & Now time to rebuild my tie rod assembly.
IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3907.JPG

The H-series transmissions are definitely much stronger transmissions than the R-series. In stock form you will see very little difference in 5th gear cruising rpm between the two, but there are gear upgrades available for both transmissions. The newer H152f from the 2017+ VDJ79 has a higher 2nd and 5th gear ratio, and with the appropriate bell housing and input shaft should work behind a 1HZ.

Would you have the H152F part number by any chance? Also, do you have information about the transfer case being used for this swap?

Last edited:
Would you have the H152F part number by any chance? Also, do you have information about the transfer case being used for this swap?
I don't know the part number offhand, but I believe it was posted here recently: Builds - 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2018-gcc-spec-79-series-1hd-fte-h152-the-camel.1232202/
I'm not sure what transfer case bolts up to it, but that info is probably somewhere in that thread too.

33030-60C51

I'm almost positive it's a AUS market only VDJ trans and needs to be sourced from Australia. I could be wrong.
I sourced one from Australia and am having it converted to 1HD bellhousing/shaft/ect before shipping out.

Good writeup here on what it takes to make it fit.

33030-60C51

I'm almost positive it's a AUS market only VDJ trans and needs to be sourced from Australia. I could be wrong.
I sourced one from Australia and am having it converted to 1HD bellhousing/shaft/ect before shipping out.

Good writeup here on what it takes to make it fit.
I don't know the part number offhand, but I believe it was posted here recently: Builds - 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2018-gcc-spec-79-series-1hd-fte-h152-the-camel.1232202/
I'm not sure what transfer case bolts up to it, but that info is probably somewhere in that thread too.

@TonyP Thanks for the part number the only one available on partsouq.com is the 330306A414... I have searched all over the place to find the one with 33030-60C51 do you mind sharing where you sourced it? I will read a bit more on it as well :)

@AirheadNut Thanks for pointing me out to the Camel hahaha I will read the thread as well seem like real nice build!

@TonyP Thanks for the part number the only one available on partsouq.com is the 330306A414... I have searched all over the place to find the one with 33030-60C51 do you mind sharing where you sourced it? I will read a bit more on it as well :)

@AirheadNut Thanks for pointing me out to the Camel hahaha I will read the thread as well seem like real nice build!

I don't think Partsouq carries Australian-specific market parts.
If you search "Thrashlux Jonathan" on Facebook he builds harnesses (built Lockwood's harness and is building mine) and can source parts for us. He can swap out the input (output?) shaft/bearing/bellhousing and ship a ready to install brand new H152 to your door. It's not cheap though.
Super nice guy too.

I don't think Partsouq carries Australian-specific market parts.
If you search "Thrashlux Jonathan" on Facebook he builds harnesses (built Lockwood's harness and is building mine) and can source parts for us. He can swap out the input (output?) shaft/bearing/bellhousing and ship a ready to install brand new H152 to your door. It's not cheap though.
Super nice guy too.

They don't I am pretty certain about it! I will give Thrashlux Jonathan a shut to see what can be done! I really appreciate the info :)

when are you doing the Dempster? I am planning end of August or September if Canada opens their borders.

Yes, It depends if my cruiser ready it should be :p hopefully around July once my Daughter finished school! Not quite certain border will re-open :(

Last edited:
I'm coming from Anchorage and I am planning on close to two weeks.

This would be amazing to cross paths! Let's see if the border will re-open in July. Have you ever done the
Deadhorse Prudhoe Bay road? This is also on my bucket lit :)

This would be amazing to cross paths! Let's see if the border will re-open in July. Have you ever done the
Deadhorse Prudhoe Bay road? This is also on my bucket lit :)
Yes, I’ve done the haul road, been a while. Was living in Fairbanks at the time, took us 3 days/2 nights without pushing too hard. Mosquitoes were a bugger though.

Yes, I’ve done the haul road, been a while. Was living in Fairbanks at the time, took us 3 days/2 nights without pushing too hard. Mosquitoes were a bugger though.
Wow, This is definitely on my list. Up North in the summer Mosquitoes are crazy

Does anyone have experience DYI on those TROOPY GULL WING WINDOW? I have the manufacturer ready to cut the glass but need to source the hardware for the best suggestion?

Looking to do 4 sided in this style maybe

IMG_4056.JPG

I drove to Yukon n Alaska in 2009 Whitehorse Dawson city skegway top of the world highway and only drove halfway up the dempster in my hzj77 and my friend in a hdj81,the Dempster was muddy then in the rain and mosquitoes and black flies was terrible in the rain.
Would like to go again one day

I drove to Yukon n Alaska in 2009 Whitehorse Dawson city skegway top of the world highway and only drove halfway up the dempster in my hzj77 and my friend in a hdj81,the Dempster was muddy then in the rain and mosquitoes and black flies was terrible in the rain.
Would like to go again one day

I have stayed for a summer in Dawson back in the days too! A very nice place can't wait to go back we should meet up this summer to complete the Dempter

Where are you in Quebec?
There were a few guys driving by Winnipeg and stop by my shop with cruiser problems
Once a guy was driving from bc to Saint John and I rebuilt his bj70 h55 in 5 days and off he went

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom