Builds 2001 HZJ79 Ex-Fire Double Cab Build (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been a little bit busy but thought I would post a few updates.

Finally got the rear pump station removed. What a pain the the A$$ that was but its done. The rear pump station was not only bolted onto the frame but it was tack welded in spots making it a bit of a challenge to remove. Persistence prevailed!

Significantly lighter now, better handling and dare I say sporty off the line 🤣 The 1HZ appreciates all the help it can get.

The rear spare tire carrier had to go and new mounts for the gas tank were fabricated. New tank and brackets dropped in like a glove and so far I am really happy with the turn out. Will need to go back and do some touch up jobs for rust prevention but all in all it was a productive and successful day.

To be legal I picked up some fenders from the local Princess Auto and through them on. Very little allowance was left but now with the 3" OME that was recently installed there is certainly no rubbing. All of this will come off in spring anyways when the tray gets installed.

The only hiccup I encountered was the fuel sender. The new tank was a two wire unit and the old a three wire. I tried several times but finally resorted to picking up a new sender. Hopefully will fix the issue and ill have my gas gauge back.

On the to-do list is to build a temporary frame for the back just to keep things covered and to add a little sandbag weight for traction.

IMG_8095.JPG

IMG_8108.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG

IMG_8113.JPG

Glad I was clued on to your thread. I've been eyeing a very similar process with an FJ75. Glad to see it is possible to remove the rear pump station.

Checking the oil today on the 79 and found this little badge under the bonnet. Have had the truck for months and still finding cool things!

Bit of an update as well my deposit for my Summit Expedition Trucks (SET) tray is in and hopefully will have it by end of March or into the first few weeks of April provided there are not set backs. Can not wait to see the progress on the tray and I will try and try and upload photos.

IMG_9179.jpeg

Truck also got a little lift from OME. 2" lift but the shop said its sitting more around 3". Bumper and winch still to be purchased and mounted which will lower it a bit. So far really impressed with the ride even with very little weight in the rear.

Also for any 70 series owner we all know the lack of cup holders is real. I picked these door arm rest/cup holders up off of AliExpress and really impressed with them. Highly recommend!

Cheers!

IMG_8970.jpeg

IMG_8256.jpeg

IMG_8219.jpeg

Hi there,

I see you have gotten a different fuel tank for your fire truck? Would you share your source? I am working on the same sort of conversion and the tank is next.

Thank you,

Guido

No box.jpg

Also, have you removed the incredibly heavy weight under the diamond plate on the front bumper? And yes, removing the box in the back was a gigantic pain in the A**! Everything was welded in the worst spots!

Following! Is that the factory fuel tank, or did it have a tank in the fire box like the other fire trucks I've seen? Until the 79's are US legal, I'm settling for my 62 project.

1646415853696.png

-Rob

Hi there,

I see you have gotten a different fuel tank for your fire truck? Would you share your source? I am working on the same sort of conversion and the tank is next.

Thank you,

Guido

View attachment 2941571
Beauty fire truck you have! I ended up picking a ? 76 series 90L tank from Dan Mantz located in Kamloops BC. Should be able to contact him through FB.

I did remove the anchor weight off the front bumper! Haha ya we had a hell of a time getting it off and finding all the hidden welds.

Guido are you looking to do a tray conversion or stock OEM tub?

Following! Is that the factory fuel tank, or did it have a tank in the fire box like the other fire trucks I've seen? Until the 79's are US legal, I'm settling for my 62 project.

View attachment 2942926

-Rob
Hey! Beauty 62! So ya I upgrade to a 7X series tank. The stock tank on the pump was tiny and would be difficult to utilize once the pump station was removed.

Beauty fire truck you have! I ended up picking a ? 76 series 90L tank from Dan Mantz located in Kamloops BC. Should be able to contact him through FB.

I did remove the anchor weight off the front bumper! Haha ya we had a hell of a time getting it off and finding all the hidden welds.

Guido are you looking to do a tray conversion or stock OEM tub?
I am going to weld up an aluminum flat bed with a spare tire carrier behind the cab. I want the tank to by buried underneath it all. Do you by any chance have contact info for Dan. I don't use FB.
Thank you!

Finally after months of waiting my Yokohama Geo's arrived! Pretty tickled with how they turned out with the rim choice!

Took them into my local tire shop to get them mounted. After a few hours passed and the truck not ready I approached the salesman to ask what the hold up was. Apparently the bolts from my red rims were not compatible with the new rims I had purchased. They were able to source the bolts elsewhere in town and were just getting the tires on the truck. Out of curiosity I asked what the price was. 14$... per lug. I was beside myself. 280$ for the 4 tires being installed/mounted. I brought my frustration to the salesman saying that if I had known the price I would have had my winters put back on and I would have sourced them elsewhere (3-5$ on RockAuto). In addition I was disappointed that they did not come to me and inform me of the price before bringing them in. Finally the manager came to me and said "I also need to show you your rims". Took me out to my truck and pointed out where the installer had nicked one of the rims. I had waited 2 months to get these rims from Japan on special order so one could imagine my frustration.

The manager offered to have them resurfaced. I declined the offer. He then offered to pay for a new rim plus shipping from Japan which I accepted. I settled up the bill and drove home with mixed emotions. Frustrated that they had nicked a special order rim and were not careful with the install and second about the price of the lugs and no transparency with price before install.

Once home I did a quick walk around of the truck and found yet another nick..... by this point it was almost comical. I called back to the shop and simply said "I don't know who installed my tires but you really need to have a chat with them". The manager asked me to return to the shop so he could take a look. After a quick glance he sighed and offered to pay for 2 rims plus shipping. I accepted. I have mixed feelings about the tire shop I chose but I can say that their customer service is top notch. One could say "well they should do that" but I wonder how many shops actually would.

Mistakes happen and at the end of the day they are just rims but there is still an expectation from a professional service that they are installed with skill and care.

Now I wait for the extra 2 rims from Japan to show!

Tray update: ETA is 1st to 2nd week in May and I couldn't be more excited. Ralf at Summit Expeditions Trucks has been fantastic to work with. He will be set up at Overland Expo West with their current product line. Definitely stop by and check them out!

CD9C3C72-45EB-4A50-86F8-AE3A3EF8D81B.JPG

IMG-9568.jpg

IMG-9569.jpg

Prob the best looking rims iv seen on these. Awesome rim and tire combo! Wish they where not so expensive, costly mistake for the tire shop ouch!
Im not surprised they dinged them up, and I am surprised they offered to replace them.
gonna get them dinged up long run anyway so now you have some spares.

The SET tray will look awesome for sure! those are very nice.
Im going to build one that looks very similar ( same Australian design they use) but out of steel

Are you going to mess with a back Window?

How do you like the OME suspension so far ?

Finally after months of waiting my Yokohama Geo's arrived! Pretty tickled with how they turned out with the rim choice!

Took them into my local tire shop to get them mounted. After a few hours passed and the truck not ready I approached the salesman to ask what the hold up was. Apparently the bolts from my red rims were not compatible with the new rims I had purchased. They were able to source the bolts elsewhere in town and were just getting the tires on the truck. Out of curiosity I asked what the price was. 14$... per lug. I was beside myself. 280$ for the 4 tires being installed/mounted. I brought my frustration to the salesman saying that if I had known the price I would have had my winters put back on and I would have sourced them elsewhere (3-5$ on RockAuto). In addition I was disappointed that they did not come to me and inform me of the price before bringing them in. Finally the manager came to me and said "I also need to show you your rims". Took me out to my truck and pointed out where the installer had nicked one of the rims. I had waited 2 months to get these rims from Japan on special order so one could imagine my frustration.

The manager offered to have them resurfaced. I declined the offer. He then offered to pay for a new rim plus shipping from Japan which I accepted. I settled up the bill and drove home with mixed emotions. Frustrated that they had nicked a special order rim and were not careful with the install and second about the price of the lugs and no transparency with price before install.

Once home I did a quick walk around of the truck and found yet another nick..... by this point it was almost comical. I called back to the shop and simply said "I don't know who installed my tires but you really need to have a chat with them". The manager asked me to return to the shop so he could take a look. After a quick glance he sighed and offered to pay for 2 rims plus shipping. I accepted. I have mixed feelings about the tire shop I chose but I can say that their customer service is top notch. One could say "well they should do that" but I wonder how many shops actually would.

Mistakes happen and at the end of the day they are just rims but there is still an expectation from a professional service that they are installed with skill and care.

Now I wait for the extra 2 rims from Japan to show!

Tray update: ETA is 1st to 2nd week in May and I couldn't be more excited. Ralf at Summit Expeditions Trucks has been fantastic to work with. He will be set up at Overland Expo West with their current product line. Definitely stop by and check them out!

View attachment 2976157

View attachment 2976158

View attachment 2976159
Dude this is looking so good! Lots of work to get to this stage but wow! The tray will elevate again, but it's already stellar! Great progress!

Prob the best looking rims iv seen on these. Awesome rim and tire combo! Wish they where not so expensive, costly mistake for the tire shop ouch!
Im not surprised they dinged them up, and I am surprised they offered to replace them.
gonna get them dinged up long run anyway so now you have some spares.

The SET tray will look awesome for sure! those are very nice.
Im going to build one that looks very similar ( same Australian design they use) but out of steel

Are you going to mess with a back Window?

How do you like the OME suspension so far ?
Cheers @African I think so as well and your right. The price is absurd but something you hopefully only ever buy once.

Yeah they will see the trail and get their own nicks but at least at my own hand. Pretty impressed with their service still.

Looking forward to seeing your steel tray!

As for the window I’m not sure. I’ll eventually have a canopy on their 99.9% of the time so the window has been on the block for a bit as to if I should. Thoughts?

OME suspension has been awesome so far! Couldn’t be happier! Once the rear is loaded with the tray will likely ride even better. There’s a chance I do airbags in the rear eventually depending on load.

Dude this is looking so good! Lots of work to get to this stage but wow! The tray will elevate again, but it's already stellar! Great progress!
Thanks @JDM Journeys! It’s been a great project so far and definitely a lot of work but it’s the fun type of work.

Looking forward to getting the tray and canopy on. The list seems forever long but I’ll get there!

Wow Garret! I love those rims and tires, they look great! If I cant wait to see the new tray on the truck, it must be PAINFUL for you waiting! 😜

Looking forward to seeing more! Drop by when you are in the Armstrong area!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom