Builds 2001 HZJ79 Ex-Fire Double Cab Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey LC community!

I suppose this will be the start of quite the journey and process with this retired ex-japanese HZJ79. It has finally arrived after winning the auction bid back in August. Since then I had time to get priority parts ordered for when it landed.

I picked it out up in Aldergrove, where Ben at Fraser Valley Imports had it waiting and drove it straight to Steve at EBI cruisers in Coquitlam. I cannot say enough good about Steve and the shop that he runs. His shop was full to the rafters of every series of Land Cruiser you could think of. Did a quick oil change and fuel filter change as well as a quick inspection and hit the road for the 5hr drive home over a few mountain passes without a hiccup.

A bit about the truck. Currently sitting at 13,342kms. Ex-Japanese fire marshal truck with pump body mounted to the rear. In addition it has a safari top to account for the odd layout for the rear passenger seat. Due to the pump being operated by a PTO there is a larger pump under the rear seat. In order to fit it they had to raise the seat height in turn raising the roof height.

This is the HZJ79. There are several HZJ75 ex fire service trucks kicking about but few 79's. The 79 includes factory power steering, coil spring (instead of leaf spring) live front axle; longer rear leaf springs; 5-bolt wheels instead of 6-bolt wheels; redesigned steering wheel; redesigned front indicators; and, in the cab-chassis, a longer wheelbase, which increased the rear storage capacity.

My current ideas for the truck will be to remove the pump station, cut roof to factory height, remove the rear floor box in the rear passenger section and install factory flooring. Once the pump is off I have a 2" OME lift kit to be installed to help out the ride quality. There is currently 11 leafs in the rear springs which will make for an unpleasant ride when the pump is removed. Jaos Tribe wheels with new boots come spring. Sound deadening will be added though it is remarkably quiet as is.

As of this last month I will be a brand ambassador for Summit Expedition trucks (SET) in Alberta and will be installing a UTE style tray for the rear as well as a canopy in future. They are a fantastic company offering high quality aluminum decking to suit overland needs.

As you'll see by the pictures I have a bit of a project ahead of me but stoked to be a Land Cruiser owner. Thanks to all you folk for the countless hours I have spent pouring over posts and threads related to the 70 series.

Let the journey begin!

IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7796.JPG
IMG_7806.JPG
IMG_7874.JPG
IMG_7724.JPG

What a beauty.
After the modifications are done you will have yourself a wonderful vehicle for the next 40 years.
Why cut the roof? It's such a unique feature and does not disturb you, does it?

The build thread is now official! :grinpimp:
Really looking forward to seeing the progress play out on this unique unit.

The build thread is now official! :grinpimp:
Really looking forward to seeing the progress play out on this unique unit.
Looking forward to this one. 👍

Very cool! Looks like you have quite the plans lined out for this rig, I will enjoy following along with this build. What are your plans for sourcing a low roof? Does a newer dual cab 79 have the same roof dimensions?

Glad you finally have it in town Garret!! Now I have a machine close by to rob... err, TRADE parts with!! 😜 Looking forward to seeing all the wonderful things you do with this awesome specimen!! 👍

Hey LC community!

I suppose this will be the start of quite the journey and process with this retired ex-japanese HZJ79. It has finally arrived after winning the auction bid back in August. Since then I had time to get priority parts ordered for when it landed.

I picked it out up in Aldergrove, where Ben at Fraser Valley Imports had it waiting and drove it straight to Steve at EBI cruisers in Coquitlam. I cannot say enough good about Steve and the shop that he runs. His shop was full to the rafters of every series of Land Cruiser you could think of. Did a quick oil change and fuel filter change as well as a quick inspection and hit the road for the 5hr drive home over a few mountain passes without a hiccup.

A bit about the truck. Currently sitting at 13,342kms. Ex-Japanese fire marshal truck with pump body mounted to the rear. In addition it has a safari top to account for the odd layout for the rear passenger seat. Due to the pump being operated by a PTO there is a larger pump under the rear seat. In order to fit it they had to raise the seat height in turn raising the roof height.

This is the HZJ79. There are several HZJ75 ex fire service trucks kicking about but few 79's. The 79 includes factory power steering, coil spring (instead of leaf spring) live front axle; longer rear leaf springs; 5-bolt wheels instead of 6-bolt wheels; redesigned steering wheel; redesigned front indicators; and, in the cab-chassis, a longer wheelbase, which increased the rear storage capacity.

My current ideas for the truck will be to remove the pump station, cut roof to factory height, remove the rear floor box in the rear passenger section and install factory flooring. Once the pump is off I have a 2" OME lift kit to be installed to help out the ride quality. There is currently 11 leafs in the rear springs which will make for an unpleasant ride when the pump is removed. Jaos Tribe wheels with new boots come spring. Sound deadening will be added though it is remarkably quiet as is.

As of this last month I will be a brand ambassador for Summit Expedition trucks (SET) in Alberta and will be installing a UTE style tray for the rear as well as a canopy in future. They are a fantastic company offering high quality aluminum decking to suit overland needs.

As you'll see by the pictures I have a bit of a project ahead of me but stoked to be a Land Cruiser owner. Thanks to all you folk for the countless hours I have spent pouring over posts and threads related to the 70 series.

Let the journey begin!

View attachment 2820566View attachment 2820567View attachment 2820569View attachment 2820570View attachment 2820571
Does the cab have a back glass?

What a beauty.
After the modifications are done you will have yourself a wonderful vehicle for the next 40 years.
Why cut the roof? It's such a unique feature and does not disturb you, does it?
Thanks! I agree with you 100%!

I really don’t mind the aesthetic of the roof however it isn’t the most practical. The rear bench seat sits quite high and your head consistently smacks into the grab rail on a bumpy road.

Very cool! Looks like you have quite the plans lined out for this rig, I will enjoy following along with this build. What are your plans for sourcing a low roof? Does a newer dual cab 79 have the same roof dimensions?
Thanks! Yes as far as I am aware with the limited research I have done the newer duel cab 79 standard roof will fit perfectly. If anyone can confirm that would be appreciated!

Does the cab have a back glass?
Negative. It’s a solid panel with a small hatch currently. I will likely leave it as such as there will be a aluminum tray canopy that will impede any rear views. I did pick up a reverse camera that I will be wiring in!

Awesome to see some pictures! Looks so mint. What are those markings on the fenders on both sides??
What plans for colour, if any?

Awesome to see some pictures! Looks so mint. What are those markings on the fenders on both sides??
What plans for colour, if any?
Mint it is!

The markings are just decorative. I’ll take some close up pics. Looks like the gold pin striping was hand painted!

As for paint that’s a good question. I’ll have to do a poll at some point! Any suggestions?

7A4E9964-C963-460F-9838-C2B0566CB78D.jpeg

If the paints good and I’m assuming it is, I would leave it as is. 😊
Not to mention that red will make it easier to locate your truck if you leave it in the parking lot at one of the big box stores. 😊

Last edited:
^^what he said... if you don't mind the color, stick with it. Put that money into some functional upgrades for the beast. Unless you have cheap access to bodywork/paint etc, save the money! 😃

^^what he said... if you don't mind the color, stick with it. Put that money into some functional upgrades for the beast. Unless you have cheap access to bodywork/paint etc, save the money! 😃
Agreed!! The paint is certainly low on the priority list at the moment!! Plus the red is growing on me! 😂

@JDMBC - I was actually referring to the markings right above the mud flaps on both sides... or is that just mud contrasting the beautiful red paint?
Can't wait to see it with the Jaos Tribes!

@JDMBC - I was actually referring to the markings right above the mud flaps on both sides... or is that just mud contrasting the beautiful red paint?
Can't wait to see it with the Jaos Tribes!
On most of the fire trucks I have seen it’s a gold floral design. Not sure of its significance in Japanese culture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom