2001 Blown head Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time for another quick update and pictures! I dropped the heads off at a machine shop. I had them cleaned, checked for cracks, and surfaced. They came back looking great! I really need a hot tank in my garage, the old parts cleaner is great but theres no comparison between the two. No cracks in the heads. The drivers side head was good but still got a light surfacing. The passenger side was warped but the shop got it nice and flat again. I called Toyota and the head bolts are reusable, but I know it is good practice to replace them. The machine shop also advised me to replace them after seeing one head warped pretty good.

I have ordered most everything to begin putting the beast back together. Just waiting on all the goodies to show up. Thanks to the help of Mud Member 2001LC I was able to download a FSM for reassembly. If there is anyone in the DFW area dying to learn from a repair like this feel free to come over and lend a hand.

In the mean time I have been cleaning up things here and there. I have been removing old gasket material and prepping surfaces for new gaskets. One trick I like to use is a small sanding block with 150 grit sand paper to clean things up. After a quick pass with the razor blade I like to "surface" everything to really get it smooth and clean again. I don't recommend this for anyone as it is easy to screw parts up and go from a flat surface to something with a nice curve. However it you take your time, use light pressure, and keep the part completely flat, the sanding block method works great.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Repeating: The Toyota Dealer is partially correct with respect to head bolts. Bolts can be reused if within spec. You'll see specs in the FSM.

Did any of the exhaust studs or bolts break?

Can't wait to see your detail of cost!

I see that starter is just begging to be rebuilt.

If you really want to go the extra mile....fuel injector kicks up the cost ~$200, provide none need replacing.

Last edited:
Quick update. I ordered my last batch of parts from toyotaonlineparts.com Prices were great and I had to call to track down a P/N and they were super helpful. Hopefully I will have everything by Friday and be able to spend much of Saturday putting this beast back together.

Until then I have been cleaning up parts more. I tackled the exhaust manifolds. They are not the traditional style that you can throw on a belt sander and surface. These had to be done by hand. No problem, I just used my small sanding block and some 150 grit paper and they cleaned up real nice. They took about 30 min per manifold. Firm pressure with small swirl motion keeping the block flat on the stack to get them flat again. If you have to tackle this on your own truck be sure to do it later in the evening. I can promise you when you're done your arms will be useless. I have heard some say that you don't need to worry about surfacing them because the exhaust gasket will fill in any gaps. All I can say is run from those people and don't take their advice. You can see in the pictures below that several of the stacks were warped really good. Should be one less problem to worry about later on. I did check the manifolds for cracks and didn't notice any.

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG

Did you ever finish the job?
A friend just blew his gasket, so I'd like to follow the trail you blazed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom