2000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on my third battery in less than one year of owning my 2000 LX470. I've done quite a bit of research and landed on parasitic draw as the culprit. I've used my multimeter to test and have found a few issues.

1. With the vehicle turned off and all doors closed I get around 900 Ma draw (draining my battery in a few days of no driving)

2. When I removed the RADIO fuse the draw drops all the way down to 250 Ma (will still drain the battery, only a little slower).

3. I removed the POWER 40 amp fuse from the drivers side kick panel and the draw drops all the way down from 250 (with RADIO fuse still removed) to 23-25 Ma. From my understanding this is within spec.

The vehicle is stock except for a TJM front bumper. There is a CD stuck in the in-dash CD changer. The door locks only occasionally work. When it is hot outside the lock/unlock will only slightly move the locks themselves (bad actuators I believe).

Am I correct in assuming the stuck CD is causing the majority of the draw keeping the radio "awake" while the bad door locks are contributing the rest of the draw? If so, is there a way to disable power to the locks altogether without pulling the POWER fuse as this also disables the power windows and power moon roof which I like having? I could care less about the power locks at this point. I'm going to replace the factory radio so I'm not concerned with fixing it.

Thanks a ton.

A stuck CD can cause a battery drain. Idk about the power door locks but, it is definitely possible.

I have also read that leaving your Automatic Headlights in the automatic position can drain your battery too.

A stuck CD can cause a battery drain. Idk about the power door locks but, it is definitely possible.

I have also read that leaving your Automatic Headlights in the automatic position can drain your battery too.

Thanks. I tested the headlights in the Auto and Off settings and their wasn't a detectable drain difference. Banging my head against the wall...

I had a battery drain issue that wrecked the first 3 months of owning my Land Cruiser. I took it to 2 different dealers and an audio shop after disconnecting just about everything I could. The audio shop originally thought it was bad caps in the factory amp under the passenger side seat and tried to fix it with a relay that cuts all power when the ignition off. This did not actually work but what I noticed is that the truck was fine with everything under the seat disconnected including the navigation unit. It turned out to be the navigation unit itself that was draining the battery. The drain did not seem to kick in unless the truck sat for longer than a day so it was hard to find. To fix this, I just plugged in the amp but left the navi unit itself unplugged. Everything still works including the climate controls but the navigation screen is blank which is fine for me.

I think it may have been a DVD still stuck in the navi unit or the gps constantly trying to connect but if you have factory navigation, that might be a good place to check.

I unplugged the 5 disc changer, removed the radio fuse altogether and unhooked the alarm system with no luck. I also read that locking your doors also reduces the drain but that did not help either.

My battery drain ended up being my bluetooth/wifi obd2 adapter. Good luck locating the culprit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom