2000 Tranny Poll (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My tranny started to make the dreaded sound/shake on overdrive. Must be the same overdrive shim issue these batch of hundy's have. Mine came at 189K.

Here are my options:

Rebuild my 2000 tranny with the better stuff- quoted $3300 with a 2 yr/ 24K parts and labor warranty from Northwest Transmission in Idaho Falls.

Or, buy a reman 2002 tranny with a 3 yr/ 100k warranty for $3140 plus install - quoted $950 to pull out and install the new tranny.

Do you think the 2002 tranny is worth the extra 1K all said and done (3 yr warranty on parts) or a rebuilt 2000 tranny with all new stuff (standard rebuild) with only 2 yr/24K good enough?

Thanks for the feedback. Anything else I should be doing or getting done while tranny is pulled out? Again, thanks!

If they both are rebuilt and the weak part is replaced, I can't see any reason a 2002 would be better than a 2000 tranny.

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking too.

Question....is there any preventive stuff to do with a 2000 so this doesn't happen? Mine is at 145k now.

AFAIK, the only way to prevent the issue is to replace the "bad" parts, which requires that you tear into the trans, which requires that you remove it from the truck...and if you're going that far you might as well just rebuild the whole thing. Until your tranny craps out, theres no reason to incur that kind of cost. Besides, we still haven't been able to really narrow down which specific trucks are affected by the bad parts. My thoughts on the issue are well known around here - it's blown out of proportion. I'm betting the number of trucks affected by this is pretty small in the grand scheme, so any sort of "preventative" maintenance might not even be necessary for your particular vehicle. I guess its a cost vs peace of mind thing. Would I rebuild my trans right now if I had $3500 burning a hole in my pocket? Nope. I'd rather invest that in other things and keep my fingers crossed, and save up a little dough here and there for an emergency vehicle maintenance fund.

Not worth fixing until it breaks, IMO. :meh:

Last edited:
I have a 2000 and the only problem I have is that the stupid drain bolt stripped before it reached the 15 ft-lb torque specified in the book. And of course it just kept turning and turning and wont come out.

I'm at 175k and have no problems but I was thinking if something did happen to my transmission could it be replaced with one of the newer 5speeds out of an 03 or newer? Is this an option instead of rebuilding?

AFAIK the 5 speed tranny into the earlier 100's would cost too much to be pratical... Too many things would need to be replaced including the tranny, computer and different bellhousing I believe, torque converter and probably a whole slew of other stuff... There are some other upgrades available for the 4 speeds now but if you want a 5 speed probably best to sell your 2000 and get a newer one... You might want to check with Michael as he specializes in Yota trannys and a number of tranny upgrades... Here is his site:
West Coast Cruisers

no-pistons said:
I have a 2000 and the only problem I have is that the stupid drain bolt stripped before it reached the 15 ft-lb torque specified in the book. And of course it just kept turning and turning and wont come out.

I think I read somewhere the same thing happened to someone. Is it in the pan? I think the welds on the nutsert broke in the inside of the pan and it would just spin in place. You have to drop the pan and weld the nutsert back in place.

I think I read somewhere the same thing happened to someone. Is it in the pan? I think the welds on the nutsert broke in the inside of the pan and it would just spin in place. You have to drop the pan and weld the nutsert back in place.

Yeah, I heard of that too, but after dropping the pan I found that the nutsert to be ok and only the bolt was turning. The bolt is a stupid little M10 I think, and I guess after 11 years it had enough. I should have inspected it much more closely before puting it back in.

Been paying attention to mine since my last post. Really the worst part is going into or out of reverse. Otherwise it seems pretty good. I've never had a vehicle that didn't bump a bit going into or out of reverse, but I guess I could be whistling in the dark :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom