2000 Toyota Land cruiser Prado Turbo Diesel switching to CK-4 Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

I'm currently doing my research on using the oil which I can use both in winter and summer in Alberta, Canada. This year temperature reached -40C.
Manual recommends 5w-30, 15w-40 and I use 5w-30 Synthetic in all weather but my mechanic always suggest to use 15W-40 for the longevity of the engine life. As my model is older which recommend CF oil and modern engine recommend CK-4 which is also a backward compatible.

Now I read on label on backside of the box Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 Synthetic (Suitable for SAE 15W-40 API which is backward compatible). I want to use it year around. Is 5w-40 Synthetic will be better for all year round?

Should I choose 5W-40 Synthetic CK-4 even my manual does not say that? IS it too thin for summer and wear out my engine components?

Other options available on amazon are Liquid Moly 5w-30 (Expensive); Liquid Moly 5w-40 (Little less expensive) or Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic.

Not to mention I use it everyday for off-road and highway long trips and usually changed oil after 5000 to 6000 kms.

Thanks

T6.jpg

T6 back..jpg

81V4Tzw9qFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91DFqWm-ZFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

20220202_162524.jpg

Manual also recommends 10W-30 and I did find

Mobil Delvac Extreme HD Full Syn Diesel Oil 10W-30​

75b1b31bae4a4ed2874e3c32175aefbf.jpg

I don't think any will "damage" the engine any time in the near future, but I also live in AB, and here's what I do. for my fall oil change I run Rotella 5w. For my spring oil change I go to 10w or 15w, depending on what I can find. Rotella is great, so is Liqui Moly, IMHO. Most "good" full synth diesel specced oils out there these days are REALLY good, but I usually end up using Rotella all around...

I've even used 4 liters of 15w and laced it with some 5W to make up the difference. Not quite as heavy as 15W, but not like water either... LOL. Remember that oil tech has come a long way since these were factory new. Quality full synth, a good filter (oem preferable) and sensible intervals, and you can't really go wrong either way.

Just a thought to put out there... the full synthetic oils out there do not lose their lubricity at high temps like the regular style mineral oils. I typically have pretty mild winters where I live and will maybe get a week or two of actual "cold" weather (-15 to -20C). (I am sure @coldtaco just sprayed morning coffee all over the place if he was taking a sip while reading this... lol. Cold is relative to where you are and what you are used to... :p)

However, I digress... regular mineral oils tend to break down over time as well, while full synthetics tend not too as quickly (depending on conditions, use/abuse)

All that said, I run Shell's rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic year round, and change it once a year, or 10,000km, whichever comes first. I tend to pack the miles on the Jetta TDI whenever possible, so usually I am changing once a year.

My 2 cents... :cheers:

Just a thought to put out there... the full synthetic oils out there do not lose their lubricity at high temps like the regular style mineral oils. I typically have pretty mild winters where I live and will maybe get a week or two of actual "cold" weather (-15 to -20C). (I am sure @coldtaco just sprayed morning coffee all over the place if he was taking a sip while reading this... lol. Cold is relative to where you are and what you are used to... :p)

However, I digress... regular mineral oils tend to break down over time as well, while full synthetics tend not too as quickly (depending on conditions, use/abuse)

All that said, I run Shell's rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic year round, and change it once a year, or 10,000km, whichever comes first. I tend to pack the miles on the Jetta TDI whenever possible, so usually I am changing once a year.

My 2 cents... :cheers:
I'm replacing my water temp sensor but couldn't find the location on my 2000 LC Prado 1KZ-TE JDM diesel engine.
Part # 89422-35010

Can you help me.

Thanks

I'm replacing my water temp sensor but couldn't find the location on my 2000 LC Prado 1KZ-TE JDM diesel engine.
Part # 89422-35010

Can you help me.

Thanks
Hey @Cashngrab, welcome to the forum!

I found this diagram on partsouq for a KZJ prado in the years you are describing:
PRADO_TEMP_SENSOR.jpg

The COOLANT/WATER Temp Sensor looks to be on the lower right towards the back of the engine. On the diagram it is 89422C.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the fix! :cheers:

Couldn't locate it. Pls see the picture if its that one. Also when I took sensor out the coolant will come out?
Thanks

View attachment 3009699

View attachment 3009700
That does look like the sensor you are looking for, and yes, when you unscrew it, coolant will come out. At least whatever is in the block above the sensor. Depending on the condition of the coolant, you can either take this opportunity to change it out, or just have some OEM coolant available to top it up when you are finished. You won't loose a lot if you have the new one ready to put back in.

That does look like the sensor you are looking for, and yes, when you unscrew it, coolant will come out. At least whatever is in the block above the sensor. Depending on the condition of the coolant, you can either take this opportunity to change it out, or just have some OEM coolant available to top it up when you are finished. You won't loose a lot if you have the new one ready to put back in.
My hazard lights flashing. Do you know where I can find fuse information for 2000 Land Cruise4 Prado TX diesel.

Try PartSouq for your sensor.

My hazard lights flashing. Do you know where I can find fuse information for 2000 Land Cruise4 Prado TX diesel.
I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but if you are just wondering what fuse is for what, and what size, then that information is on the inside of the fuse panel cover. If you are speaking about the flasher for the hazard lights, it is usually positioned with a few relays below the steering column under the dash. You may want to grab any manuals you can that apply to your model of PRADO. Try searching here: Resources - https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/ or here: Land Cruiser Workshop Repair Manual free download | Car Manuals Club - https://carmanualsclub.com/toyota-land-cruiser-workshop-repair-manuals/

The first pic is your radio antenna up/down. Second pic- PWR is kind of like a sport mode for the transmission. Makes it hold lower gears longer and downshift faster. 2ND is for second gear start.

Do you have a manual for the vehicle?

No I wish I have it. Its 1KZ-TE Diesel Engine 2000 Land Cruiser Prado TX KZJ95W-GKPST Model.

Let me know if you have it or from where I can have it.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom