2000 stock Land Cruiser build total gross weight considerations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PS - I have ordered a Toyota OEM tank mounting kit - which has the filler neck, mounting brackets and pipes. You can also add a gauge to the additional tank if you want to see how much is left in it. This system relies on gravity/common sump connection to feed the main tank from the auxillary

Hedgepig, your build looks excellent. OP, I'd recommend reviewing his thread on the LC Club forum.

Thanks for the leads. One big problem I have is it costs a lot of money to do anything in AK compared to the lower 48. I am wondering if I am better off just having the main build with the big ticket items done by Slee, Overland or other recommended member who does these builds. I had to go to Seattle to buy it because of prices here even if I could even find one that was not trashed. It may be cheaper or comparable in the long run. I also have a cherry 2000 4runner with 82K, a 99 Tacoma with 171K, & a new 4x4 work truck (not mine) so getting around or playing in the meanwhile is not an issue. This has all the familiarity of past projects where when the dust settled I stood back and went... for a few more dollars, or less, I coulda bought a new one. I'm mechanically inclined and can handle most situations but would never pass myself off as a journeyman mechanic or welder. I want a bulletproof rig & drive train & operating systems wise and when you get into the details of some of these pro builds vs the novices I see the differences in the details. All comes down to reasonable costs. Out of curiosity I just asked for a quote for shipping from here to Australia since we planned to spend a few months there anyway. I have a lead on only 2 mechanics that are recommended by our shop heavy equipment mechanic that could handle this. And ones out because his specialty is off road mudders. Not any options in my back yard that I would trust. I'll make sure I post my successes & failures in this endeavor as all the information on this site, EP & the blogs has been invaluable. I am going install a long range tank one way or another.

Getting all your work done in Australia is definitely a good option - so much experience and local manufacturers based there. I looked into this as an option including purchase of base vehicle.....but with shipping, UK sales tax/import duty and at the time the strength of AUS$ it was not cost effective. I had planned to take a month to visit the outback but work commitments got in the way

Hedgepig, your build looks excellent. OP, I'd recommend reviewing his thread on the LC Club forum.

Do you have a link? I could not find it...

Videre,

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/52211-Hedgehog-LC100-build-thread

I'm buying a long ranger combo tank like these. TR61 is the model for my truck. No lower than the spare tyre that it replaces.

http://thelongranger.com.au/100serieslongrangefueltank.html

The TR61 is listed for the 105 series and the TR62 is for the IFS 100. You have an IFS 100, right?

PS - I have ordered a Toyota OEM tank mounting kit - which has the filler neck, mounting brackets and pipes. You can also add a gauge to the additional tank if you want to see how much is left in it. This system relies on gravity/common sump connection to feed the main tank from the auxillary
Are you saying the Long Ranger Tank you ordered feeds into the main tank via gravity? I always thought the water portion of that tank was gravity fed and the fuel part required a transfer pump.

Sorry typo - TR62 for IFS - well spotted.

I'll have to check on the transfer pump......I didn't think so.....let me check. It may be in the OEM fitting kit. The tank is lower....

Sorry typo - TR62 for IFS - well spotted.

I'll have to check on the transfer pump......I didn't think so.....let me check. It may be in the OEM fitting kit. The tank is lower....

From my design guru.....
"The fuel tank uses the original pump to draw fuel... This is off the engine. The fuel tanks have a pair of change over valves for the flow and return which simply allows you to select via a switch which tank you use"

That's right, not transfer... not gravity but rather two pumps and a changeover valve. I know it is a bit more complicated than that... good thing you have a design guru. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom