2000 miles of back roads in a 55-year old FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I live along the very beginning of the "Lake Hill Motors West" section. I have plenty of rural property within' 30 minutes of Corinth, MS where you guys/gals are welcome to camp for the night before beginning the East loop of that trail if you decide to execute.

I rode the MC to Fairbanks about 20 yrs ago. 9k mi round trip. The Canadian Rockies (and glaciers) are a sight to see. I've been considering heading back in the 40 one day. Not sure my butt can survive another ride like that.

I rode the MC to Fairbanks about 20 yrs ago. 9k mi round trip. The Canadian Rockies (and glaciers) are a sight to see. I've been considering heading back in the 40 one day. Not sure my butt can survive another ride like that.
I'm envious!! I love the back country of Eastern Oregon. But, lack of money and a recent surgery will keep me from doing any trips for a while. Please, do a road trip travelogue as since I won't be able to do any back roads this summer I can at least "travel along" in spirit.

Also, in a couple of your pics there was a large black (reverse brindle?) dog. Boxer? or Pit Bull? It's a big, muscular, good looking, dog. In my avatar are two Boxers, both of whom are gone now. The bigger one is Jasper, he lived to 13 years 8 months of age. We lost him about 3 years ago. He was an amazingly smart and very calm dog.

Don

I think my plans changed....I think I am going to Montana with someone with a 75 troopy and a 90 prado. I also have a small issue with my engine because the mechanic who took my engine out to rebuild it forgot how all the bits go back onto the engine, so now I'm left with an engine with nothing else on it, and I just discovered that my power steering pump bracket is missing, and the alternator doesn't line up with the rest of the engine, so yeah. One step at a time I guess. I have to figure out how to line up my alternator, and then I have to make a bracket for my power steering pump, then put everything else back on and hop it fits....so far, not looking great.

the mechanic only took the engine out. a specific machine shop actually did the rebuild, so there shouldn't be issue there.

so where did the shop "loose" the parts ? :confused:

that sounds better, but sure not optimal :doh:

Man, I so want to do a trip like this.

Thought this thread had died a quiet death, but the trip didn’t happen last summer for various reasons. I am hoping this spring or summer I can get away for a week or so because a road trip in a vintage cruiser sounds pretty darn good about now!

That’s a good point, I have the Garmin Inreach Explorer. I really need to get up to speed with modern mapping as I seem to be stuck in the paper map phase.
Maps don’t fail, takes a computer to do that👍

I am a big believer in paper maps, too - if only because all the guys in with their GPSs, iPads and whatever they have take forever to get going at the trailhead :rolleyes:

and while they all stare at their screens when we come to an intersection or are lost, I look around at the terrain . . . and am usually faster to figure out where to go :p

Thought this thread had died a quiet death, but the trip didn’t happen last summer for various reasons. I am hoping this spring or summer I can get away for a week or so because a road trip in a vintage cruiser sounds pretty darn good about now!

You know, I'm not even sure how I stumbled across it. However, since then I've ordered the TAT route map that extends from Corinth, MS to Fayetteville, TN. Some friends and I are planning to make the 800 mile round trip in our Cruisers this spring. We're hoping to make it to Lynchburg, TN and tour the Jack Daniels Distillery and visit the Tim Ford State Park while we're in that area. We are working out details, but it looks like much of the route is very rural and we will be tent camping only along the way.

It was a nice spark to have lit for our little local group.

See you on the trails!

Gas is expensive. It is hotter than Hades, so what better time to revive this thread and do the road trip in a topless FJ40?

Same basic principle, take as many backroads through as many ghost towns and scenic places as possible. Avoid highways and towns. The new destination is Moab to do some mountain biking in the baking July sun-which sounded like a good idea in February lol.
Looking at maps for creative ways to get across Utah through Capital Reef as I have only passed through on my way to other destinations-has anyone gone through Wild Horse road north of Hanksville? Looks like they had some bad flooding in the area a few days ago:

The compromise I made was to tow the FJ40 to Ely, Nevada. Park the truck then drive backroads to Moab. This allows me to avoid spending a day or two in country I am familiar with and focus on exploring areas which I am not. The first stage will look something like this routing via Google maps, but instead of highways using only backroads that roughly parallel this route

8E6B530F-9CD4-4B93-B638-5B8301BC2599.png

I am planning on visiting the charcoal ovens outside of Ely, Nv. Then heading south around Wheeler Peak/Snake Range and through some remote country. If anyone knows of any must-see places along that route to Hanksville, please pm me if you don’t want to share it online. I won’t post exact locations.

Well, s***. I’m starting to feel that some powerful unknown force does not want me to make this trip! This Sunday I woke up early, drove with a coworker to Eastern Oregon to do some field work in a remote area, and all of the sudden around 2-3 in the afternoon, I was in a world of pain and stiffness. I was several miles away from the truck on steep, nasty jackstraw country and kept stumbling and couldn’t find my balance. I even feel into a fresh pile of bear crap, evidently. Finally made it back to the hotel, and yep, tested positive for the ‘Rona. Spent 30 hours bedridden in a cheap hotel in BFE, then the fever broke and now I feel fine. Dont know if I am over it, but this is jeopardizing the whole trip as I hope to leave next Thursday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom