2000 lx470 no gears? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright ladies and gents,
Got a real problem here. Today I was driving along at 45 mph and went to change lanes and lost power. Rpms were there, gas pedal responds, engine is alive but no power to the wheels. I coasted to a side street and changed into pack and back to drive.. nothing. No reverse, no 1 or 2. I tried high and low still won't move. I didn't notice any noise and even with it running I don't hear anything crazy. Thoughts? I'm praying hard I didn't just lose my Trans haha. I tried searching for other threads but just saw issues about getting stuck in park. I appreciate all thoughts and ideas!

Driveshaft/s turning?Possible stripped spindle?I know on some awd’s if one wheel stops pulling it’s almost like a failed clutch…

Driveshaft/s turning?Possible stripped spindle?I know on some awd’s if one wheel stops pulling it’s almost like a failed clutch…
Huh interesting thought. In the axle I'm guessing? I could check into it that would be a better fix than a new Trans haha. It's just weird it won't move literally at all.

Put the center difff lock on and try again.

Could be the 2000 trans issue.

Might want to have a quick look underneath and just make sure everything still looks connected. Even though I imagine if it wasn't you would have heard it.

Make sure your not in between hi and low on the transfer case shifter.
Well looked under everything is connected. No leaks. Cycled trans shifter everywhich way, tried center lock on and off, turned it off and on and went between high and low several times. Not really sure what else to try other than tearing into something. I looked into 2000 trans search ans saw some have had to replace. Anyone know of anybody that has had this issue? I appreciate everyone's responses

2000's have a higher trans failure rate than other years. Do a search.
This issue doesn't relate to a transmission failure it's when people blow up their front diffs and need to drive in RWD only.

@Jacob117 I'm stumped, hopefully someone wiser can chime in.

So you can shift through gears, and hit the throttle and the RPMS go up? Do you feel any resistance or does it sound like revving up the motor in neutral? Can you have someone looking safely from off to the side of the vehicle to see if your driveshaft is turning when in drive?

@Jacob117 I'm stumped, hopefully someone wiser can chime in.

So you can shift through gears, and hit the throttle and the RPMS go up? Do you feel any resistance or does it sound like revving up the motor in neutral? Can you have someone looking safely from off to the side of the vehicle to see if your driveshaft is turning when in drive?
So it nudged a little bit in drive and reverse but I mean like just barely moved. It does kind of rattle when I turned it on.

How did you check your fluid level? Should be warmed up, in park, level ground. Pull dipstick and wipe it and go back in.

trying to just start with the easy stuff here. Check to see if your driveshafts are turning. I would think if something major failed we would hear / see signs of the failure easily.

How did you check your fluid level? Should be warmed up, in park, level ground. Pull dipstick and wipe it and go back in.

trying to just start with the easy stuff here. Check to see if your driveshafts are turning. I would think if something major failed we would hear / see signs of the failure easily.
Yeah so it was pretty warm when I checked it was level and looked good. When I check drive shaft and put in gear and rev it barely turned just a little bit when I first put it in gear then stopped and that's drive and reverse. I recorded it on my phone and it definitely rattles I just couldn't hear it top side. Any thoughts on why drive shaft wouldn't move?

Yeah so it was pretty warm when I checked it was level and looked good. When I check drive shaft and put in gear and rev it barely turned just a little bit when I first put it in gear then stopped and that's drive and reverse. I recorded it on my phone and it definitely rattles I just couldn't hear it top side. Any thoughts on why drive shaft wouldn't move?
Must be missing something here. It's strange too that you were chugging long and all of the sudden it s*** out. How long have you had the vehicle?

Only other forums relevant that I could find were in the 80 series thread and it was relating to low fluid in the transmission. Not saying thats your problem but I don't see what else would prevent the engine from putting power into the transmission something major failed but I don't think that would just suddenly happen with no signs of distress.

Must be missing something here. It's strange too that you were chugging long and all of the sudden it s*** out. How long have you had the vehicle?

Only other forums relevant that I could find were in the 80 series thread and it was relating to low fluid in the transmission. Not saying thats your problem but I don't see what else would prevent the engine from putting power into the transmission something major failed but I don't think that would just suddenly happen with no signs of distress.
I have had it for 2 years. 225,000 miles. Only thing I can think of is sometimes it would make a clunk into drive but that's if I shifted to fast without stopping all the way. Literally no other signs I can think of. No leaks at all. Let me double check the fluid but the rattle is a little concerning. Would torque converter be a reason drive shaft isn't spinning? There is no resistance shifting but I did notice that the drive shaft would bump when shifting so I'm guessing it wouldn't be the shifter itself? Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom