2000 lx470 front differential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The spartan locker just came out for the rear axle for the 100 and I am getting one in March---I really really like an auto locker in the rear of an AWD vehicle. I put ~175k on an aussie locker in my 80 without a single hiccup.

However, an auto locker in the front of an AWD vehicle is a really bad idea. If you consider the behavior of an auto locker and then apply that to a situation where you are on the throttle and turning (cloverleaf, pulling out into traffic, etc.) you can see that there would be some handling issues and some extra drive train wear and tear. Now try that same scenario with wet roads, and you'll likely find yourself in a ditch.... again (sorry).

So, selectable up front if you are running AWD, but if you do the part time conversion, you could run a spartan up front.

Personal opinion here:

Only run a selectable up front. with the IFS, you run the risk of blowing CVs if your drivetrain is binding in a high traction scenario. Even with an SAS and an 80 series axle--those are susceptible to spectacular failure if under load in reverse--I wouldn't want the auto locker putting more stress on that diff while reversing. YMMV..
yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I'm about to see what kind of mileage I get in rwd only so that might convince me to do a part time kit as well.

The spartan locker just came out for the rear axle for the 100 and I am getting one in March---I really really like an auto locker in the rear of an AWD vehicle. I put ~175k on an aussie locker in my 80 without a single hiccup.

However, an auto locker in the front of an AWD vehicle is a really bad idea. If you consider the behavior of an auto locker and then apply that to a situation where you are on the throttle and turning (cloverleaf, pulling out into traffic, etc.) you can see that there would be some handling issues and some extra drive train wear and tear. Now try that same scenario with wet roads, and you'll likely find yourself in a ditch.... again (sorry).

So, selectable up front if you are running AWD, but if you do the part time conversion, you could run a spartan up front.

Personal opinion here:

Only run a selectable up front. with the IFS, you run the risk of blowing CVs if your drivetrain is binding in a high traction scenario. Even with an SAS and an 80 series axle--those are susceptible to spectacular failure if under load in reverse--I wouldn't want the auto locker putting more stress on that diff while reversing. YMMV..
Do you have link to the Spartan for the 100?

it's a 2000, I do have atrac

You seem plenty capable as a mechanic, so please know that I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but ATRAC typically wins over throttle on ice and snow. I obviously wasn't there, and am certainly aware of the utility of momentum, but just wanted to ask since there are a lot of really smart people on the board who have never taken the time to learn about how ATRAC works and the best ways to employ it.

Apologies if this comes off as condescending or if you are an ATRAC guru ad had already let ATRAC have a go at getting you out before the rocking.:hillbilly::hillbilly:

Well Crud.

I was so excited that I had finally found a readily available auto locker that I didn't pay close enough attention to the details. Well, we're back at square one. It seems the only auto locker available is the Lokka out of AUS.

It is apparently a bit harder to set up then the others, but I may as well order one now so it can make it here by march and get installed by April.

Thanks for catching that! I'd have felt pretty stupid sitting there with my diff apart wonder why the darn thing didn't fit.

You seem plenty capable as a mechanic, so please know that I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but ATRAC typically wins over throttle on ice and snow. I obviously wasn't there, and am certainly aware of the utility of momentum, but just wanted to ask since there are a lot of really smart people on the board who have never taken the time to learn about how ATRAC works and the best ways to employ it.

Apologies if this comes off as condescending or if you are an ATRAC guru ad had already let ATRAC have a go at getting you out before the rocking.:hillbilly::hillbilly:
no worries dude, I dont get spun around the axle on ego. I'm pretty new to the land cruiser scene and toyotas in general so this was 100% operator error lol. I was trying to seesaw the wheel while looking for some traction but after trying the scalpel I went for the hammer and impatience took over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom