2000 LX470, cant open hood, any suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, the hood latch mechanism is broken off where it connects to the bumper(?) Ive tried reaching up from the underside, I can see that the latch is still "latched" at the very top of/ over the grille. I cant seem to snake a tool or anything up there to unlatch it. I need to charge the battery to even bring it into the shop. I suppose I can get it towed but Im really trying to figure this out.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks all I appreciate whatever experience you have to share on this

No advice… but man, this is one of my all time worst fears! Seems like it could happen so much more than it does!

good luck!

I also did post something about that possibility after examining the mechanism one day. IIRC, the conclusion was not encouraging, unfortunately, but maybe there was something in there that might help.

There's a long thread on it, maybe in the FAQ, search for stuck hood.
thanks I did do a preliminary search for stuck hood before I posted but I shall most definitely dig deeper

No advice… but man, this is one of my all time worst fears! Seems like it could happen so much more than it does!

good luck!
truthfully this is the first time in my entire driving and car owning experience that this has happened in this way.

good
Hi all, the hood latch mechanism is broken off where it connects to the bumper(?) Ive tried reaching up from the underside, I can see that the latch is still "latched" at the very top of/ over the grille. I cant seem to snake a tool or anything up there to unlatch it. I need to charge the battery to even bring it into the shop. I suppose I can get it towed but Im really trying to figure this out.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks all I appreciate whatever experience you have to share on this
Hello, Still trying to unravel this conundrum. From underneath, it looks like the issue is at the top of the grille, where there appears to be a U shaped catch, wher I cant see whats latching it. I am stumped. any suggestions are welcome

I just re-read your OP. "hood latch mechanism is broken off where it connects to the bumper". Hood latch or cable, are not connected to the bumper.

I'd try one very simple procedure, with a helper. One persons pulls up on hood, as the other pulls the release handle (in cabin).

Also make sure the cable is connected to the release handle.

What may have happened, is the hood stop adjusters are out of adjustment (set to loose).
These are found under the hood at each front corner. They're black, round, hard rubber about 2" OD. If they are not turned out far enough. The hood release latch and cable, will not have the pressure/pull against them, to work properly or at all if to loose. We should hear a nice loud pop, as we pull the release handle. We turn the adjusters to level the hood. Turning them counter clock wise, to keep pressure against the locking mechanism (cable, latch to hood hook). The more we turn out (CCW) the adjusters, the more pressure on release handle/cable/latch/hook have on them. The louder the pop, when we pull release handle. We also want pressure against the hook of hood, so hood will not bounce up and DN, wearing out the hook and latch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom