2000 Lexus leaking sunroof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know a good place to buy OEM replacement sunroof. Leak is coming from gasket around existing sunroof.

regards,

This thread might be of help:

I found a gap in my seal in the middle of the sunroof seal towards the back of the car, used some silicone along that and inside the seal as much as I could, seemed to have fixed the leak for me.

I just finished this up today on my 2000 LC.
I bought new a weather strip for the sunroof and after removing it, you can clearly see this is where it was leaking below. I blew around it with compressed air and there was definitely water under it. From the way this deal is designed, the gasket is really there to slow down the water into the drip area. I loosened the 4 10mm bolts under the plastic trim and it pops right out easily. I used a dremel with the sandpaper bit to clean the old adhesive off (twice). Very light touch. Don't use metal objects to remove it because the plastic is really soft. I screwed up about 4 ins of the plastic before I realized it was plastic. There is a little lip that runs around the outside.

I used 3M Window Weld Urethane and this stuff is no joke. Acetone cleans it right up at least, but not off your hands, wear gloves, trust me. I tried the 3M weatherstrip/gasket stuff and it sucks. Had to redo the entire process again.

The adhesive sticks to the bit quickly and basically uses the heat and friction to pull up the old stuff. Took maybe 5 mins once I figured this out to clean it up.

When you are putting the new weatherstrip on, ensure that the top lip of the strip ins't tucked under, slightly pull out on it and push in, and it will pop out. You will be able to see it if its there.

Be careful when you are seating the new weatherstrip. If you push down to hard, the plastic seal pops loose (ya, I did that) Also, the metal tabs will hold it down and prevent it from moving easily, so you may have to pull it so one side is not stretched and the other is loose.

Trying to get the top weatherstrip to set perfectly level with the plastic is damn near impossible in some spots. Just go with it. You will spend hours sitting there pushing on it and nothing is happening. Only had a few areas around the corners where it's hard to get it to push all the way up. Only sits maybe a 1/16in lower. ( I couldn't even get it close with the other adhesive. )

The white dots line up with the 2 metal tabs that are sticking out on the front.

Also ran a bead around the entire plastic strip on the inside and outside.

Ran about a 1/4 in strip on the inside edge that I taped off.

Hopes this helps. Pretty easy process if you get the right adhesive. It was completely dry in about 5 hours 40 degs outside.

I just did this as well but used permatex floable silicone for windshield or something like that (clear). As mentioned above, getting the top to line up was the hardest. I just worked it little by little, pulling the gasket out and up, didn’t take me but about 1.5hrs but my fingers were definitely sore afterwords. I then immediately installed it back on the truck as it would help hold everything together where it’s supposed to be. It rained hard a day afterwords and has continued to rain since but I no longer get water dripping inside the truck so it was a big success.

I just did this as well but used permatex floable silicone for windshield or something like that (clear). As mentioned above, getting the top to line up was the hardest. I just worked it little by little, pulling the gasket out and up, didn’t take me but about 1.5hrs but my fingers were definitely sore afterwords. I then immediately installed it back on the truck as it would help hold everything together where it’s supposed to be. It rained hard a day afterwords and has continued to rain since but I no longer get water dripping inside the truck so it was a big success.

Ya.. with the urethane, I worked my way around a couple times and it stayed in place. Its like sticky tar almost. I think silicone products create air pockets so you have to work it for a bit. The other stuff was I used was horrible. Messed with it forever and ended up just pulling it off and starting over. Yes, your hands will be sore after this process.

The sunroof is definitely a much tighter fit with the new weatherstrip. The old one was was hard a a rock compared to the new one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom