2000 LC to LX tailgate swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud’rs!

Been a lurking member for a while but a newb to the posting forum here.

I have a 2000 LX. I am currently ripping out the oft failed AHC and going with the standard OME and Slee diff drop. (I will post the removed parts in the classified section for hold-outs)

While doing that I decided to replace the somewhat mangled, rusted and nasty rear gates - tailgate and liftgate together. Toronto salt doesn’t help…

Being an idiot, I didn’t even realize that there was a different lower gate from the Land Cruiser, so I bought the upper and lower from Eric’s (forum: eleblanc) 2000 HDJ100 from France that he used for his swap.

Got a call from my body guy (they needed a color change to black) and of course the lights don’t fit. Duh.

Esoterically I couldn’t really care, any improvement is better than what was there. That said my question is: has anyone put an LC tailgate on an LX and if so did you encounter any problems other than rewiring due to different harnesses?

The lights aren’t that big a deal. Has anyone gone with aftermarket tail lights and which ones.

Thanks in advance!

Feel free to mock and jeer for the obvious inept nebwbitude.

Thought about changing to a LC tailgate myself. The different tail lights is a bit of a drag but I don't think you'll have any problems outside of that.

Suggest you look at the parts list from a toyota and lexus dealer to see the differences.

oh and :cheers:

98-02 LX lights wont fit in a LC tailgate. However, 03-07 lights will. If you picked up two inner LX lights from an 03-05 they'd match your outer lights, and then all you'd have to do is cut out a socket for the 7440 bulb since the LX lights have a blank reverse section.

98-02 LX lights wont fit in a LC tailgate. However, 03-07 lights will. If you picked up two inner LX lights from an 03-05 they'd match your outer lights, and then all you'd have to do is cut out a socket for the 7440 bulb since the LX lights have a blank reverse section.

That is amazing - how do you know that?

I have a 2000 and a 2005.

The 03-05 have a wider inner tail light. I'm just assuming here but...i figure the three bolts that hold the light on are in the same position on the LX and LC. I cant say for certain, but you should try it...cant hurt.

I would offer you my tailgate, but some ran into it this morning and decided not to stop. :mad::bang:

Did they decide not to stop before or after they ran into it?

LOL....both apparently. Obviously they didn't stop before they hit it or there would be no dent. :p They didn't stop after either because there was no nobody there when I got back to my truck. No note either. :frown:

After calming down about it, it looks like it could be fixed with paintless dent removal. Its on the lower tailgate, I unsnapped the carpet cover and looked at it. Access looks pretty good to it. I am crossing my fingers that it will be an easy fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom