2000 LC to LX tailgate swap (1 Viewer)

Hello Mud’rs!

Been a lurking member for a while but a newb to the posting forum here.

I have a 2000 LX. I am currently ripping out the oft failed AHC and going with the standard OME and Slee diff drop. (I will post the removed parts in the classified section for hold-outs)

While doing that I decided to replace the somewhat mangled, rusted and nasty rear gates - tailgate and liftgate together. Toronto salt doesn’t help…

Being an idiot, I didn’t even realize that there was a different lower gate from the Land Cruiser, so I bought the upper and lower from Eric’s (forum: eleblanc) 2000 HDJ100 from France that he used for his swap.

Got a call from my body guy (they needed a color change to black) and of course the lights don’t fit. Duh.

Esoterically I couldn’t really care, any improvement is better than what was there. That said my question is: has anyone put an LC tailgate on an LX and if so did you encounter any problems other than rewiring due to different harnesses?

The lights aren’t that big a deal. Has anyone gone with aftermarket tail lights and which ones.

Thanks in advance!

Feel free to mock and jeer for the obvious inept nebwbitude.

Thought about changing to a LC tailgate myself. The different tail lights is a bit of a drag but I don't think you'll have any problems outside of that.

Suggest you look at the parts list from a toyota and lexus dealer to see the differences.

98-02 LX lights wont fit in a LC tailgate. However, 03-07 lights will. If you picked up two inner LX lights from an 03-05 they'd match your outer lights, and then all you'd have to do is cut out a socket for the 7440 bulb since the LX lights have a blank reverse section.

98-02 LX lights wont fit in a LC tailgate. However, 03-07 lights will. If you picked up two inner LX lights from an 03-05 they'd match your outer lights, and then all you'd have to do is cut out a socket for the 7440 bulb since the LX lights have a blank reverse section.
That is amazing - how do you know that?

I have a 2000 and a 2005.

The 03-05 have a wider inner tail light. I'm just assuming here but...i figure the three bolts that hold the light on are in the same position on the LX and LC. I cant say for certain, but you should try it...cant hurt.

Did they decide not to stop before or after they ran into it?
LOL....both apparently. Obviously they didn't stop before they hit it or there would be no dent. :p They didn't stop after either because there was no nobody there when I got back to my truck. No note either. :frown:

After calming down about it, it looks like it could be fixed with paintless dent removal. Its on the lower tailgate, I unsnapped the carpet cover and looked at it. Access looks pretty good to it. I am crossing my fingers that it will be an easy fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom