craigslist 2000 1HD-FT Troopy w/ alu-cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
white
Outside Link
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2000-toyota-land-cruiser/7309509235.html
Breckenridge-
So this is not a problem if you moved data tags from a US fzj80 to a hzj79 cab body over a frame you modified from original specifications?

dark gray area there.

I still don't understand why 7x series are not the donors for transplant like this. At least when they want to replace a freaking door it is the same.

Anyway, this truck has some use on it and is built to a certain taste.

Seems kinda interesting to me that what I would consider to be a reputable company (Torfab) would have been involved with mechanical work on this truck.

Breckenridge-
So this is not a problem if you moved data tags from a US fzj80 to a hzj79 cab body over a frame you modified from original specifications?

I'm not answering that one...

I will say, many states use the chassis/frame VIN for verification of the entire vehicle. Some use two VIN locations on the vehicle (ie firewall and frame) to perform a VIN verification. And some VIN verification officials (lazy cops, drunk DMV clerks, ect…) don't even want to get out of their car/office and just take your word for it. Most states require a VIN verification to title an out of state vehicle. If you roll up to a wise DMV clerk or have a salty cop come do your verification and they see a fresh 1HD-FT equipped Troopy (that looks nothing like they've ever seen before) that's VIN'd as a common FZJ80, be prepared to pull a Vito Spatafore "Guys! Come on! It's a joooke!!"

Take from that what you want.

Seems kinda interesting to me that what I would consider to be a reputable company (Torfab) would have been involved with mechanical work on this truck.
Perhaps I am just naive but I doubt very few shops are going to be concerned with the import status of the vehicle.

Perhaps I am just naive but I doubt very few shops are going to be concerned with the import status of the vehicle.

No reason for a shop to care unless they're performing illegal modifications. Whether the vehicle is in the country legally is of no concern to someone changing oil or even rebuilding the motor. Where a shop could get into trouble is if they're the ones modifying the vehicle in such a way as to be violating Federal law. Not that most shops would care, or even that the Feds are looking at such things, but it does involve some legal exposure nevertheless.

I'd be afraid to have it posted this long.....

Just to clarify, the real risk is not somebody knocking on your door to confiscate the truck... The real issue is that if you get into any accident or issue on the road and they determine that you have a grey market truck, you will be responsible for all damages to all people regardless of fault... And they will take the truck... So if you are cool with maintenance drives around your neighborhood for the next 4 years...

This ^^^^

Insurance companies are in business to avoid paying out. When you get in a wreck or hurt someone, you're going to have serious problems.

I'd be afraid to have it posted this long.....

No kidding. And It's been for sale pretty publicly at least a couple times.

Premise #1 .... I have zero interest in this vehicle.
Premise #2 .... I have zero faith in any insurance company.
——————————————————————————————
My question however is how is placing a modern Land Cruiser body on a 80 Series frame any different than placing a 1940’s Ford body on a modern frame?

Premise #1 .... I have zero interest in this vehicle.
Premise #2 .... I have zero faith in any insurance company.
——————————————————————————————
My question however is how is placing a modern Land Cruiser body on a 80 Series frame any different than placing a 1940’s Ford body on a modern frame?
Doesn't Maltec already do this with 80 Series frames?

If the modern Landcruiser body you're referring to is a 70-series newer than 25 years old, one difference might be that no part of such a body has been DOT approved to comply with the FMVSS that were in place at the time of its manufacture. The 1940's Ford pre-dates the FMVSS and is thus exempt from them. Ironically, I know a guy here in Boulder who has built, not quite a 1940's Ford (rather a 1940's Plymouth) onto a Toyota 4x4 chassis. Wish I had a photo. It's a beast. The "Plymota". Particularly impactful when you know the crazy bastard who built and drives it. lol...

Doesn't Maltec already do this with 80 Series frames?
Yes, and when I visited Maltec in Germany I discussed this very thing with an individual involved in the process. My understanding of his take on it was that no one in the US Government could give them a straight up, yes or no, unambiguous answer as to whether what they were doing was strictly legal in all regards. It seems no one told them they couldn't do it. That being the case, they were going for it, and if some authority wanted to stop them, they'd stop. I've recently spoken to the same guy, and he tells me that if they're able to travel to Overland Expo, they'll be here this year.

I keep hearing folks say “you’re doomed if you get into a wreck from an insurance standpoint” which brings up even more questions.
I know Hagerty for example request a lot of information and photos on the vehicles they insure including 70 Series that are highly modified. In fact, the policy will say “XYZ Land Cruiser“ and in parenthesis it will say “Converted” indicating that they are well aware of what they are insuring. I’m not saying some litigation wouldn’t be in your future but I wouldn’t agree with a blanket statement that the insurance company wouldn’t end of paying.

I keep hearing folks say “you’re doomed if you get into a wreck from an insurance standpoint” which brings up even more questions.
I know Hagerty for example request a lot of information and photos on the vehicles they insure including 70 Series that are highly modified. In fact, the policy will say “XYZ Land Cruiser“ and in parenthesis it will say “Converted” indicating that they are well aware of what they are insuring. I’m not saying some litigation wouldn’t be in your future but I wouldn’t agree with a blanket statement that the insurance company wouldn’t end of paying.

Modified vehicle is in a different category from illegally imported vehicles.

Yes, and when I visited Maltec in Germany I discussed this very thing with an individual involved in the process. My understanding of his take on it was that no one in the US Government could give them a straight up, yes or no, unambiguous answer as to whether what they were doing was strictly legal in all regards. It seems no one told them they couldn't do it. That being the case, they were going for it, and if some authority wanted to stop them, they'd stop. I've recently spoken to the same guy, and he tells me that if they're able to travel to Overland Expo, they'll be here this year.

I'll say that from my experience, they know it's a grey area. Technically, those new 70 series body parts defined under FMVSS are illegal (lights, glass, bumpers, key tumblers, seat belts, etc). But as I heard someone say one time, we shouldn't overthink something so beautiful. :)

Why wouldn't Yorgab do work on it? It's not a shops responsibility to know or care. Really, only downside I see to this vehicle is all the people on Ih8mud talking about how your vehicle may or may not be legal. Most likely no agency cares...

Why wouldn't Yorgab do work on it? It's not a shops responsibility to know or care. Really, only downside I see to this vehicle is all the people on Ih8mud talking about how your vehicle may or may not be legal. Most likely no agency cares...
Also, I have seen this truck, and met the owner. He is a great guy, not trying anything shady. As long as the buyer understands what it is, it's thier risk. (If there is much risk)

So looks like this went to the owner of Torfab. Glad it wound up with somebody that really understand what he is getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom