200-series vs 100 series handling...am I imagining things? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the early 2000's I owned a 100-series, and it seemed to me that that model handled like a dream. And I lived in Pittsburgh at the time, which as anyone who's been there knows, is ALL curves and twisty roads. I drove that thing like Dale Earnhardt, day after day, up and down those hills and around those curves, for three years, and I was astounded at how well I could throw it around.

Fast forward to 2022 and I now own a 2014 200-series. I can't believe the difference...this thing handles like a Winnebago. It wallows, it floats, it's downright disconcerting on descending radii freeway exit ramps. And I live in Cleveland now, land of no curves.

I'm seriously wondering if there's something wrong with this thing...I can't believe Toyota would do something that could bring about this drastic of a change. And on top of that, I've actually heard comments online that the 200-series handles BETTER than the 100-series!

Please comment.

Sounds a little like rosy retrospection or nostalgia bias. Maybe your 100 series drove awesome you first got it because at the time it was amazing and all the components were new. You're now driving an 8 year old cruiser that maybe has some older rubber parts or something is out of spec. From what I've heard, 200 series handle great.

My 100 series doesn't handle like a sports car by any means, but its pretty connected - especially at AHC Sport. The rubber parts, like on my shocks, are completely done so I feel a lot of bumps.

Tires (higher load rating) and suspension (stiffer springs) can and will go a long way to remedy that.

Sounds a little like rosy retrospection or nostalgia bias. Maybe your 100 series drove awesome you first got it because at the time it was amazing and all the components were new. You're now driving an 8 year old cruiser that maybe has some older rubber parts or something is out of spec. From what I've heard, 200 series handle great.

My 100 series doesn't handle like a sports car by any means, but its pretty connected - especially at AHC Sport. The rubber parts, like on my shocks, are completely done so I feel a lot of bumps.
I don't know, RB...during my time in Pittsburgh I hit 100K on the clock, so I can't say it was new car bias, and my 200-series is at 95K now. As an example of how well the 100 handled for me, there was this one time (in band camp) that my entire family was in it, and we ended up behind a distracted driver in a Mustang on the road below, headed east. At the 10mph curve (1) I decided I'd had enough (yes, I am that guy) and crossed the centerline to pass him. He immediately punched it and the two of us basically raced to the upcoming 15mph curve (2). He lost his nerve and braked and I slipped back in front of him in time to be back over the centerline in time to make that curve. My kids actually cheered. My wife, not so much.

If I'd tried that in my current 200, I have no doubt I'd have ended up on the news, with all four wheels in the air and surrounded by broken trees at (3).

1667481708548.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom