200 series roof rack options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I used the search option and also looked through the pins and didn't really find anything detailed. I wanna get a roof rack for my 200 series before bumpers n sliders. More helpful for family camping trips. I didn't really see a comprehensive comparison of different racks. The ones i know are Prinsu. Gamaviti. Front runner. Rhino. Gobi and Baja. I just wanted to know your opinions. Pictures. Why you chose yours . Buyers remorse? Also if the statement "i would never buy (brandX) because..." comes to mind. Please do tell.
I like the expedition look so slim doesn't matter. With that said most all of them have the basket attachments of some kind. I'll probably do LED spots uptop for a more classic look rather than light bar. Price doesn't matter because they're all fairly close. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

This was very helpful. I was considering going with the GOBI STEALTH on my 2009 200 Series primarily for the continued use of the sunroof, but since I see the Gamiviti has that option also, I have some thinking to do!

If you have any questions, give Tim @Gamiviti a call. He’s a wealth of information.

One thing to consider with Eezi-Awn, Big Country, and Rhino...I’ve read that “north-south” slats are noisier than “east-west”. I have no personal experience, it’s just something I’ve picked up from looking at various internet comments while researching racks.

The dissent one, I think, is no taller than oem...very low profile. It looks like it also has an option for side hanging attachments for rotopax and maxtrax. I think there were some other unique features too...his products usually have a few features about them that others do not.

B0A68A8A-8321-414A-A57C-62CFB468276F.png

The dissent one, I think, is no taller than oem...very low profile. It looks like it also has an option for side hanging attachments for rotopax and maxtrax. I think there were some other unique features too...his products usually have a few features about them that others do not.

View attachment 2579424
The low profile is very low on my wish list. Because i really like the look of the expedition/ safari anyway. And my LC is not garaged. So height won't be an issue. Quality/looks/accessories friendly are important

I had a Frontrunner on my 100 series, and I've got to say I was not really impressed with it, given the price. The "epoxy" finish peeled off of several components, and the parts they shipped for the expedition rails, did not fit correctly.

When I buy a rack for the 200 series it will probably be the Dissent, unless something better pops up.

It's their table--they offer 3 or 4 different options I believe
Hey can you confirm that you're mounting the table underneath but from the side?

Hey can you confirm that you're mounting the table underneath but from the side?

I am, but on my 4Runner--my LC isn't due to hit port until mid-March. I am going to put it in the same spot though--I wanted to do a rear mount, but I believe the shark fin will get in the way. I did see on an Ed Martin video that Eric highlights a side entry under-mounted Front Runner table so it is definitely compatible from the side even with the shark fin. Video from Ed Martin starting at 3:21 below:

Any one know if the front runner rack comes with the front air diverting valance as seen in the ed Martin video ?
They don't--it's an extra option you have to add on. I *believe* the one in the video is the 1345/1425mm rack version found here

The normal wind deflector that comes with Front Runner racks is an undermounted two piece wedge--you can see it in this picture. It is exceptionally good at diverting air down through the sunroof into the cabin.

krtl028t.3.jpg

I have had a few racks with smaller air diverter but would get a weird air vibration , I like the on in the video . I did email Front runner but they did not reply .
So I just went down this rabbit hole 2 days ago because of that video--they're probably going to recommend you buy this one because the 200 series rack is a 1255mm width rack. However, that fairing is only 1091mm wide which mean you'll get a gap of about 3.25" on each side. The one in that Ed Martin video fits much more flush to the edges which led me to believe it's the next size up which is the 1345/1425mm I linked above. That fairing shows a width of 1267mm so in theory it would have an excess of just under .25" on each side which doesn't look to be the case in the Ed Martin video either (I don't see it extending beyond the rack). I don't know what other size it could be though because there is nothing in between those two options.

Gamiviti for me all the way. An aluminum version would've been nice for weight savings but otherwise I have less than zero complaints. @nakman is amazing to work with. The only downside of the custom racks is that you lose the accessory kits for extra stuff that Frontrunner or the other big boys have. But I carry a shovel, maxtrax, rotopax, and 2 kayaks without issue - you just have to be a bit creative to find the right mounting combinations.

1614208770751.png

1614208859530.png

1614208870601.png

1614208920423.png

1614209104007.png

FWIW I'm sure Dissent's rack is great, as are other vendors on mud. But I personally like the expedition-style that Gamiviti did vs the sleek but boxier look of the other racks. It's one of those things you'll see every time you look at the truck, so you better like how it looks.

Gamiviti for me all the way. An aluminum version would've been nice for weight savings but otherwise I have less than zero complaints. @nakman is amazing to work with. The only downside of the custom racks is that you lose the accessory kits for extra stuff that Frontrunner or the other big boys have. But I carry a shovel, maxtrax, rotopax, and 2 kayaks without issue - you just have to be a bit creative to find the right mounting combinations.

View attachment 2595365
View attachment 2595366
View attachment 2595367
View attachment 2595369
View attachment 2595370
FWIW I'm sure Dissent's rack is great, as are other vendors on mud. But I personally like the expedition-style that Gamiviti did vs the sleek but boxier look of the other racks. It's one of those things you'll see every time you look at the truck, so you better like how it looks.
If you had to do it again would you build it any different? Do u regret getting the grid? Or would u rather have the basket over the grid? Do u regret leaving the area over the sunroof open? Or why did you leave it open? Also I'm thinking about going expo up.

If you had to do it again would you build it any different? Do u regret getting the grid? Or would u rather have the basket over the grid? Do u regret leaving the area over the sunroof open? Or why did you leave it open? Also I'm thinking about going expo up.
I'd do the same build, basically. Keep in mind I was I think the first 200-series Gamiviti buyer, so some of the newer stuff like the plastic grid, sunroof basket, side-mount ladder, etc weren't available back in 2016. Still, I'm extremely pleased with the overall platform.
  • The grid makes washing/waxing the roof a PITA, but otherwise it's super helpful. The grid made it sooo easy to strap the maxtrax to the roof, bungee my kids bmx bike up there, etc. I've walked on the rack a few times and the grid makes it easy too.
  • We open the sunroof sometimes and I use it as a moonroof regularly so to me I like having the sunroof cut out.
  • I considered expo basket up, but when I weighed the likelihood of utilizing the lip to secure luggage vs the hassle it would create when mounting anything wider than the platform (like an RTT) I'm glad I went basket down. Also with the normal basket-down setup you're only maybe 1" taller than the factory rack... at least until you pile stuff on top like I've done.
  • I'm glad Tim put 4 gussets on each side for me. I'd left them off but he still added them - and they've come in handy as mounting points
One thing I'd change is to not bother with the rear camp lights. Unfortunately if they are mounted under the rack like my setup the spoiler over the rear window blocks most of the light, so they're not very useful. I suppose I could mount them on top, but I think some sort of flip-up bracket would really be required to get them high enough to be useful.

The other thing I'd do differently is to have it shipped bare (no powder coat) and then just prime and paint it on-site. The PC is fine but it does have trouble getting into all the spots where the grid and crossbars meet and you can get a bit of surface rust up there. It's not anything concerning IMO, but since I've touched up my rack paint a few times it never quite matches the original and I wish I'd just painted all my PC'ed steel myself.

I am also in the market for a roof rack. I think I decided on a rhino rack with the backbone support. Since it will be difficult to wash / wax the roof of the vehicle, I think I will try to vinyl wrap the roof in satin black. maybe it will contrast well with the blizzard pearl and the black bumpers / wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom