200 series off road driver training (1 Viewer)

Are you interested in joining a Bill Burke 200 series specific training event in early December?

• Yes, bring it on!

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Sounds fun, but I am not sure I can commit

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • No, I want my Mommy

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcgaskins

SILVER Star
Threads
What's the best mod you can to your 200? Improve your driving skills! Modern 4x4s are usually limited by the driver more than any other factor, and with how busy life gets it can be hard to make time to improve your skills and test your vehicle to see what it can really do. I'm fortunate to be a member of a top notch local Toyota 4x4 club called Rising Sun, and a couple of years ago the president Jackson aka @use2bn83 (also a guru at Slee who has designed some cool stuff that very well may be installed on your 200) put together an off road driver training weekend led by none other than the one and only Bill Burke. When I did the weekend training, I was skeptical I would get much out of it because I had already been wheeling for about 20 years and felt very confident in my skillset, but I learned a ton, made a bunch of new friends (including Bill), and had an absolute blast doing it.

For those of you who don't already know Bill, he is far more than an instructor or guide - he is a mentor and a steward of our hobby who literally spends his life empowering others and working to ensure people can enjoy the outdoors safely and responsibly so future generations can experience the joy we often take for granted. Bill is a humble guy so I won't brag on him too much, but he's done just about everything in the 4x4 world ranging from boots on the ground military experience, representing the USA in the Camel Trophy through Tanzania and Burundi, training some of our country's finest, and telling some of the best campfire stories while everyone enjoys a nice bourbon. I think the word "legend" or "legendary" gets tossed around too casually, but Bill definitely qualifies as a legend in the 4x4 world without a doubt.

I've trained with Bill several times now, and last time I floated the idea of getting a group of 200 series people together to learn how to improve driving skills, recovery skills, situational awareness, etc. He is a very busy guy as OEMs, government agencies, USFS, large corporations, private groups and more hire him throughout the year for training, but he said he could accommodate a group of 200 drivers this December in the Grand Junction, Colorado! I'm very excited to share this unique opportunity with the group, and I know anyone who attends will leave better prepared to spend time in the backcountry doing what we all love.

The purpose of this thread is to see who might be interested in joining, level of difficulty/breadth of training desired, etc., and we can nail down more specifics as it evolves. This will most likely be the weekend of December 4-6 and be in or near Grand Junction where Bill is located. In order to ensure a good experience for everyone (including being covid aware and safe), the event will be capped at a certain number of participants, but I will work with Bill to determine what number he feels comfortable with. There is a cost of course which will be determined by a few factors like event size and desired training topics (i.e. what mix of classroom vs field instruction), but I assure you the value received FAR outweighs the monetary cost. I will be paying the same amount as everyone else, so I'm not getting a freebie or anything for helping put this together. Investing in yourself, your skills and preparedness is far more important than just about any mod you can do to your truck, and regardless of your experience level you should never stop learning and growing. With that said, who is in?!

POST WITH DETAILS ON PRICE, DATES, LOCATION FOUND HERE: 200 series off road driver training

Bill's website: Bill Burke's 4-Wheeling America | Register for training and trips today!

The legend himself:

bill.jpg

Bill coaching me through an endless mud pit:

ACtC-3cCbZg2Kqs_anS-uecCtamE6YdnRCI0kiKX3eWsKn9W8Ww1RkiIb7j9ASPoEOn2YENBtNVuiDdstPdG0yWlx5BZvEBuD2MfERblxk2ViWV_Cg2ZQ3cV5O1dhupfmNe6LlLH5u7bOxAwxZQ6ShhJwxWozA=w1184-h888-no

Bill giving me tips on how not to roll his Range Rover (I didn't do it!):

ACtC-3cMNZp6-n2MEB9kqRP4UkACBEr_zqmUiG6lDHNdnnEfu8yVQN59tNrPxiTBypjIK8PbGV4-baU_P4N6jM9NV6ZcJ5BIEWaLcb10fl-M5wIZC1KD9HS4H3xO_deF_qUbYBXpzPz3WjMrmX4eOQCJOPw7Lw=w1184-h888-no

Last edited:
Definitely interested. Several deciding factors like cost, my workload in the next month, my wife, ability to bring my 5yo son, mainly my wife...

Definitely interested. Several deciding factors like cost, my workload in the next month, my wife, ability to bring my 5yo son, mainly my wife...

This is definitely spouse friendly, but it is hands on training for everyone and fairly long days (usually meet around 8am and days end 5-7pm) often in the cold and potentially wet or snowy conditions. Everyone has different tolerances for that kind of stuff - some love it, some hate it! For those reasons, it would likely be best to come without small children or really any passenger who isn't ready to get their hands and feet dirty. That said, 2 of the best "students" on some of these trips have been 15-20 year old males and females who not only wanted to learn but ended up being fantastic drivers and a pleasure to be around. A desire to learn, a good attitude, and no ego are the keys to having a good time in these classes, and that transcends age and all other groups!

Definitely interested! Just getting into the hobby. Covid and the lockdowns sparked a desire to get out in nature and explore. I’d like to get some real experience before I start because I definitely don’t want to get out there, quickly ruin my vehicle and get my family trapped in the middle of nowhere because I got a false sense of confidence from watching YouTube videos.

Curious to hear more details!

I think I might be able to swing this - this is exactly the sort of thing I've been hoping I could take part in! Of course, my participation assumes I can figure out an equivalently expensive and lengthy time-away-from-the-kids event for the wife.

Grand Junction is pretty far from Austin TX, though. My other concern would be driving through CO in the middle of winter - especially if it means that there could be road closures that prevent being able to get to Grand Junction.

More details would help solidify whether or not I'm in.

I had the honor of joining a group of LC owners and Bill Burke many years ago out in the local desert. Bill did an amazing job of teaching us driving techniques and guiding us through some pretty interesting terrain. He was there for a wheel and shoot event with LWRCI and 4wd Toyota Owners magazine. Highly recommend any training class this guy offers.

IMAG4647[1].jpg

IMAG4648[1].jpg

I am most likely in, specifically considering you're local to me. I was going to do all of the off road training work at Mountain Overland this year with the wife but that fell flat due to the 'rona. Pending pricing, the wife and I are in.

Count me in. Took a course with Bill Burke a little while back.... it was awesome. I'm so in!

What's the best mod you can to your 200? Improve your driving skills! Modern 4x4s are usually limited by the driver more than any other factor, and with how busy life gets it can be hard to make time to improve your skills and test your vehicle to see what it can really do. I'm fortunate to be a member of a top notch local Toyota 4x4 club called Rising Sun, and a couple of years ago the president Jackson aka @use2bn83 (also a guru at Slee who has designed some cool stuff that very well may be installed on your 200) put together an off road driver training weekend led by none other than the one and only Bill Burke. When I did the weekend training, I was skeptical I would get much out of it because I had already been wheeling for about 20 years and felt very confident in my skillset, but I learned a ton, made a bunch of new friends (including Bill), and had an absolute blast doing it.

For those of you who don't already know Bill, he is far more than an instructor or guide - he is a mentor and a steward of our hobby who literally spends his life empowering others and working to ensure people can enjoy the outdoors safely and responsibly so future generations can experience the joy we often take for granted. Bill is a humble guy so I won't brag on him too much, but he's done just about everything in the 4x4 world ranging from boots on the ground military experience, representing the USA in the Camel Trophy through Tanzania and Burundi, training some of our country's finest, and telling some of the best campfire stories while everyone enjoys a nice bourbon. I think the word "legend" or "legendary" gets tossed around too casually, but Bill definitely qualifies as a legend in the 4x4 world without a doubt.

I've trained with Bill several times now, and last time I floated the idea of getting a group of 200 series people together to learn how to improve driving skills, recovery skills, situational awareness, etc. He is a very busy guy as OEMs, government agencies, USFS, large corporations, private groups and more hire him throughout the year for training, but he said he could accommodate a group of 200 drivers this December in the Grand Junction, Colorado! I'm very excited to share this unique opportunity with the group, and I know anyone who attends will leave better prepared to spend time in the backcountry doing what we all love.

The purpose of this thread is to see who might be interested in joining, level of difficulty/breadth of training desired, etc., and we can nail down more specifics as it evolves. This will most likely be the weekend of December 4-6 and be in or near Grand Junction where Bill is located. In order to ensure a good experience for everyone (including being covid aware and safe), the event will be capped at a certain number of participants, but I will work with Bill to determine what number he feels comfortable with. There is a cost of course which will be determined by a few factors like event size and desired training topics (i.e. what mix of classroom vs field instruction), but I assure you the value received FAR outweighs the monetary cost. I will be paying the same amount as everyone else, so I'm not getting a freebie or anything for helping put this together. Investing in yourself, your skills and preparedness is far more important than just about any mod you can do to your truck, and regardless of your experience level you should never stop learning and growing. With that said, who is in?!

Bill's website: Bill Burke's 4-Wheeling America | Register for training and trips today!

The legend himself:

View attachment 2460080

Bill coaching me through an endless mud pit:

ACtC-3cCbZg2Kqs_anS-uecCtamE6YdnRCI0kiKX3eWsKn9W8Ww1RkiIb7j9ASPoEOn2YENBtNVuiDdstPdG0yWlx5BZvEBuD2MfERblxk2ViWV_Cg2ZQ3cV5O1dhupfmNe6LlLH5u7bOxAwxZQ6ShhJwxWozA=w1184-h888-no

Bill giving me tips on how not to roll his Range Rover (I didn't do it!):

ACtC-3cMNZp6-n2MEB9kqRP4UkACBEr_zqmUiG6lDHNdnnEfu8yVQN59tNrPxiTBypjIK8PbGV4-baU_P4N6jM9NV6ZcJ5BIEWaLcb10fl-M5wIZC1KD9HS4H3xO_deF_qUbYBXpzPz3WjMrmX4eOQCJOPw7Lw=w1184-h888-no

Awesome Matt! Having spent my fair share of time with Bill, I can attest that this is one of the best things one can do to prepare for taking their rig and 4wd skills to the next level. Good on ya for putting it together!

So I'm revising my previous "maybe I'm in" post. Now I'm 99% in. Since I'm already working remotely from home due to the pandemic, I'll probably just stay in Grand Junction the entire week and work remotely from there. Then I'll already be there for the weekend training with Bill. Wife's okay with it, too - it'll just be a fun road trip for her and the kids to explore the area and enjoy whatever snow might be there at the time.

Widespread remote work is one of the interesting side effects of the pandemic - it opens up an opportunity to work from anywhere, not just from home :hmm:

Heck for a Bill Burke lead training I would consider the drive out from TN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom