200 series fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2013 LC does not have an inline fuel filter (which appears to be standard for US models - 5.7 L V8) - see the photos showing the cover and the missing filter (located on the frame under the drivers seat). International models, like those sold in Australia - 4.7 L V8, have fuel filters installed. Here is a YouTube link to someone replacing his filter -watch

I am surprised Toyota has excluded the filter for US models - especially a fuel injected off-road vehicle. Does anyone have any insight into this decision and recommendations for retrofitting a filter (which seems like it should be done because inevitably I will fill up with bad gas somewhere).

I will appreciate any advice.

Fuel filter cover.jpeg

Fuel filter location.jpeg

A common-rail diesel is a lot pickier on its fuel than a petrol engine due to the much finer tolerances in the fuel pump and injectors. Toyota may have decided that the in-tank 'sock' was adequate filtration in the States.

Yes, they determined our fuel is good enough. This is supported by the lack of fuel injector failures seen on these trucks.

Do tundras have a filter? If not do they have fuel system issues? I only ask because it’s similar hardware and a much larger sample size.

US Gas supply and storage are regulated well enough that fuel that you pump is clean enough to not need a filter.

As everyone has already said, gasoline in the US is really good. I’ve pulled fuel “filters“ from 250k mile tanks and it is almost spotless. You have to really work hard to junk up gas systems in this country.

If you head down to Mexico a lot, then you should start finding a solution.

As @TonyP eluded to also, the filter isn’t a filter, it’s a mesh sock. It doesn’t stop much more than some shards of plastic that can come off of fitting at the refinery. That the only thing I’ve found in there, every now and then, it’s always tiny stringy plastic. Like one piece, and that’s not all the time.

To second what @bloc said, we have port injection gas motors, it’s far far away from what direct injection inside a diesel will ever have to deal with.

There are very big difference between a spark fired engine and an oil fired engine; as well as between gasoline in the US 15 years ago and now.

Side note, the gasoline requirements in Japan are stellar. Canadian gasoline is almost as good as ours, but they don’t have ethanol at all. So it is a higher quality fuel from the get go.

Ethanol cleans really, really well. It also makes the lower quality fuels better. That’s where we don’t get the best, as 10% ethanol fuel starts as pretty junky non ethanol fuel, but the ethanol helps it a lot. Canada starts out better because they have to when not adding ethanol, just they don’t require as much cleaning agents. But not a big difference, just a little.

Now, the mogas in Iraq. Wow, thats some crap stuff. I was washing some crap off hands with that and it’s eye opening to see little chunks floating around in gas. But yeah know what, Toyota’s still run forever with almost nonexistent maintenance.

I’m really dumbing this down. Gasoline is a mix of a whole bunch of things. When I talk “low quality,” “better” it’s not the final product. Think of it more as the base things. Adding all the stuff gas companies do, is what matters. And I sure don’t know any of that.

Point of all this. Sleep well at night, gasoline will be the last thing that will kill your cruiser.

Last edited:
Hello All, thanks for your replies and the consensus there is no need for a fuel filter in the US and Canada.

Many years ago in Africa I experienced a blocked fuel about 20 miles from where I filled my vehicle. I was fortunate to be able to swop out the filter and continue the trip. The lesson remains with me.

I have dreams of a future overlanding trip in South America (Peru/Chile/Argentina) and for that trip an inline fuel filter will be worthwhile. If anyone has any advice on a retrofit fuel filter for the LC200 it will be appreciated.

PS: Does anyone know if the LX570 has a fuel filter?

Thanks

Hello All, thanks for your replies and the consensus there is no need for a fuel filter in the US and Canada.

Many years ago in Africa I experienced a blocked fuel about 20 miles from where I filled my vehicle. I was fortunate to be able to swop out the filter and continue the trip. The lesson remains with me.

I have dreams of a future overlanding trip in South America (Peru/Chile/Argentina) and for that trip an inline fuel filter will be worthwhile. If anyone has any advice on a retrofit fuel filter for the LC200 it will be appreciated.

Thanks
LX is the same. Should be pretty easy to plumb in some elbows to move the line away from the frame and make room for a simple filter capable of our injection pressures. Just make sure it has enough capacity for the horsepower of our engines.

But no, so far I haven’t seen a write up where someone added one.

LX is the same. Should be pretty easy to plumb in some elbows to move the line away from the frame and make room for a simple filter capable of our injection pressures. Just make sure it has enough capacity for the horsepower of our engines.

But no, so far I haven’t seen a write up where someone added one.
Thanks, I will look for a suitable filter and then post what I find.

Thanks, I will look for a suitable filter and then post what I find.
If you use compression fittings be sure they will be ok with the vibration present on a vehicle. Flaring the ends of your existing line is technically a better way to do it but will require special tools and often a little trial and error to get that right.

Thanks
No filter on the LX. Amazon video has a multi-part o'landing story on the same SA route you're thinking. The people in the series would have multiple heart attacks if instagram died. As I've posted before, they know how many teeth are showing when they smile. Interesting scenery, no comment on the cast.

Last edited:
So, I couldn't find the fuel filter on my 2013. I couldn't even find the part number on line. Searched Mud, now I know why... :clap:

Not in the USA. As stated above we have ridiculously clean petrol. Other manufactures are just starting to delete the fuel filter. It saves money on their cost and is not needed anymore. A fuel filter is like a pancreas in modern times. It's there, it filters, but filters nothing, it's now become another cost for nothing item. I've changed them and cut them open on other vehicles and even the high miles fuel filters are clean as a whistle. Not a chunk of debris or gray matter. That's 1990 forward

Agreed that for a car that's used only in the US, the value of putting in a fuel filter would be suspect.

I could see a case made for someone that wants to use their cruiser internationally, perhaps deep into South America, to perhaps install one.

Agreed that for a car that's used only in the US, the value of putting in a fuel filter would be suspect.

I could see a case made for someone that wants to use their cruiser internationally, perhaps deep into South America, to perhaps install one.

Yep. No worries state side with fuel. There are aftermarket fuel filters with a clear canister so you can quickly get a visual. Easy cut off's built in to change the filter. But that goes above and beyond what is needed here. We are blessed with clean fuel.

My 2013 LC does not have an inline fuel filter (which appears to be standard for US models - 5.7 L V8) - see the photos showing the cover and the missing filter (located on the frame under the drivers seat). International models, like those sold in Australia - 4.7 L V8, have fuel filters installed. Here is a YouTube link to someone replacing his filter -watch

I am surprised Toyota has excluded the filter for US models - especially a fuel injected off-road vehicle. Does anyone have any insight into this decision and recommendations for retrofitting a filter (which seems like it should be done because inevitably I will fill up with bad gas somewhere).

I will appreciate any advice.

View attachment 2402365

View attachment 2402366
my 2009 LC do have all the hookup in the pipes but no filter

Amazon video has a multi-part o'landing story on the same SA route you're thinking. The people in the series would have multiple heart attacks if instagram died. As I've posted before, they know how many teeth are showing when they smile. Interesting scenery, no comment on the cast.
I watched bits of that same show you’re referring to and it was seriously cringe worthy, the cultural sensitivity was non-existent. No, poor looking people in Ecuador don’t want to steal your fancy first world Maxtrax :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom