200 Maintenance Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time member here. I've had a 40, 80, and 100. The 40 and 100 are gone, leaving me with just my 80 and soon to be new-to-me 200. It's shipping to me this week from out west so it's rust free! The PO had it dealer serviced since owning it from day one, so it received regular fluid swaps, some door lock actuators, and around 100k it got a new water pump, radiator serp belt tensioner/belt. Surprisingly, it still has the original starter. I also didn't see anything in the service detail that talked about front or rear wheel bearing work. It now has has 228,xxx miles on it so my plan is to do some baseline work on it once it gets here. I'd like to get your opinions on what I should do to get it back to square one. Here's my part list:

Water pump (probably the Aisin unit from Rock Auto since it's much cheaper)
Thermostat
Fan bracket assembly
Starter (curious if there are "while you're in there" items?
idler pulley
serp belt/tensioner
Fan clutch
spark plugs (NGK 6019 from Rock Auto)

1584380183213.png

I looked at the Starter and Alternator diagram. You can buy the brushes for the Alternator not the starter. Thought I could safe you some money.

Looks like a fantastic setup! Does this mean another 200 in Michigan?

I just did your list with the addition of the Alternator. It's not a part that could be easily replaced later and mine gets submerged. The time to do it is when the radiator is out. At 228k I would also do all visible hoses up front.

I just did your list with the addition of the Alternator. It's not a part that could be easily replaced later and mine gets submerged. The time to do it is when the radiator is out. At 228k I would also do all visible hoses up front.
If it's original I'll replace that too.

What does everyone think about the radiator? The OEM replacement probably has 150,000 miles on it. Replace?

What does everyone think about the radiator? The OEM replacement probably has 150,000 miles on it. Replace?

If it's not the new style then absolutely. 150k is pretty long in the tooth for the defective version. You're on borrowed time. You can see pics of what the part number boss looks like on the 'PSA' radiator thread.

check which version of the rad you have. some early ones have a cracking defect problem and maybe on recall.

Pretty sure the new style was put in when it was swapped out. I'll double check the records and look at it once it shows up. Still I'm thinking with everything else I'm replacing it might make sense to just go ahead and do it.

If it has the new style I would leave it in after inspecting around where they crack. They last a long time.

The new style has only been out for a couple of years.. I’d bet it is the old one.

I looked at the Starter and Alternator diagram. You can buy the brushes for the Alternator not the starter. Thought I could safe you some money.

The issue with the starter isn’t the brushes, it’s the solenoid, which is available separately.

Looks like Toyota replaced the radiator with 16400-50382 about 80,000 miles ago (6/15). The latest revision is 16400-50384. So I'm thinking that it makes sense to swap it out for a couple reasons, if it's the "old" version it's going to fail soon, and I'm replacing water pump, fan bracket, clutch, tensioner, etc, so might as well make my life easier with a $300 new radiator.

overkill?

Last edited:
Looks like Toyota replaced the radiator with 16400-50382 about 80,000 miles ago (6/15). The latest revision is 16400-50384. So I'm thinking that it makes sense to swap it out for a couple reasons, if it's the "old" version it's going to fail soon, and I'm replacing water pump, fan bracket, clutch, tensioner, etc, so might as well make my life easier with a $300 new radiator.

overkill?

Not overkill at all. Plus having the core out of the way will make all that other work much easier.

Also originally the new design radiator had the same part number as the more recently produced old design, so don’t use an updated number as final confirmation. Verify it is the new design before install.

I'm planning to replace the upper/lower radiator hoses/clamps. Is there a comprehensive list of the other hoses to swap out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom