200/570 Tire Carrier Cross-Member & Spare Tire Hoist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
Are guys in the eastern rusty climates seeing these seize up like the 100 Series variants did/do? The 200's use an "open" design with a chain link hoist that lets debris and perhaps most importantly salt be washed out whereas the 100 has a cable hoist that has a plastic cover that let's them get packed full of junk. I've got a pile of 200 cross-members and hoists here left over from aux tank and rear bumper installs and they all function smoothly. Yet it seems every other 100 one we pull off is seized or a PITA to operate. Is it a design "upgrade" or simply age based? On that note, anyone have a need for some 200 crossmembers/winches before I offer them to the 100 guys to retrofit :D

100 Series cable w/cover

20200411_124900.jpg

200 Series open chain

20200411_124912.jpg

I kept my 100 hoist lubed and did not have a problem, despite my midwest address. I know that if neglected (common) those are a pain. I had to cut my 4R chain and R&R the hoist, which is where I learned to lube the 100 (and not to be under the spare when cutting the chain). Great idea to offer to those with frozen hoists! I do of course keep the 200 hoist lubed too.

Are guys in the eastern rusty climates seeing these seize up like the 100 Series variants did/do? The 200's use an "open" design with a chain link hoist that lets debris and perhaps most importantly salt be washed out whereas the 100 has a cable hoist that has a plastic cover that let's them get packed full of junk. I've got a pile of 200 cross-members and hoists here left over from aux tank and rear bumper installs and they all function smoothly. Yet it seems every other 100 one we pull off is seized or a PITA to operate. Is it a design "upgrade" or simply age based? On that note, anyone have a need for some 200 crossmembers/winches before I offer them to the 100 guys to retrofit :D

100 Series cable w/cover

View attachment 2268690

200 Series open chain

View attachment 2268692
You have one from a newer 200 to fit a rock warrior? Might be easier to get one from you instead of cutting mine to fit the rock warrior...

You have one from a newer 200 to fit a rock warrior? Might be easier to get one from you instead of cutting mine to fit the rock warrior...

These are all pure stock takeoff's but I'd be happy to make you a great deal to find homes for these :D

On the GX470, they originally came with a cable hoist. However, if you go to replace the cable hoist for whatever reason, Lexus will no longer sell the cable as a replacement part. The replacement part is now a chain hoist.

On the GX470, they originally came with a cable hoist. However, if you go to replace the cable hoist for whatever reason, Lexus will no longer sell the cable as a replacement part. The replacement part is now a chain hoist.

Good to know.

Geez, the modification is super easy. Doesn't seem worth the trouble or expense to get a different one. The hardest part is unbolting it from the crossmember, and you don't actually even need to do that to modify the hanger. Just take a pipe cutter and slice off a bit of the tube, then split and remove.

IMG_20180406_092945.jpg

I have also learned the lesson the hard way about how important it is to keep that thing lubed. I've torched a few off in my mini-truck days, never again. Mine is totally marinating in a mixture of white lithium grease and Fluid Film. Just used it this afternoon, and gave it another shot of lubricant. Still, I really hope I never have to get that tire out from under there on a rainy night. That would suck.

Geez, the modification is super easy. Doesn't seem worth the trouble or expense to get a different one. The hardest part is unbolting it from the crossmember, and you don't actually even need to do that to modify the hanger. Just take a pipe cutter and slice off a bit of the tube, then split and remove.

View attachment 2269165

I have also learned the lesson the hard way about how important it is to keep that thing lubed. I've torched a few off in my mini-truck days, never again. Mine is totally marinating in a mixture of white lithium grease and Fluid Film. Just used it this afternoon, and gave it another shot of lubricant. Still, I really hope I never have to get that tire out from under there on a rainy night. That would suck.
I understand it's easy... but I don't have a pipe cutter or angle grinder/anything along those lines to cut. So figured if he had one from a newer 200 that has the smaller sleeve it's even easier than getting around to cutting mine.

I like that the chain seems exactly the same on my HE as my old FJ-62. But I recall that folks had trouble with those seizing up if not greased up. I'm planning on continuing that practice even though we don't salt in my area in winter.

Is there a recommended lube and process to use? I am going to incorporate it into my maintenance schedule. I lowered the tire the other day and it seemed to bind a little but it could have been my imagination. My 100 did bind a few times.

Is there a recommended lube and process to use? I am going to incorporate it into my maintenance schedule. I lowered the tire the other day and it seemed to bind a little but it could have been my imagination. My 100 did bind a few times.

I do a 5-tire rotation every time I change the oil, so when i drop the spare I spray the mechanism really well and just let it drip on a rag while I'm doing the wheels. It doesn't really matter that much what you use as long as it's somewhat waterproof. WD-40 is not waterproof btw.

I use LPS 3 in a spray can. Sprays on and evaporates to leave a grease coating. It last about a year with an average snowfall of ~13" and mag chloride if needed on ice. I hit it late fall and again late spring. Good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom