20 years in the making. 72-fj55 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have one in everything i own , and in all our delivery trucks . the videos of how it works are amazing .
Honestly, thank you for that link Evan. I was thinking about it for my fleet. 20+ trucks, all with 5lb ABCs that need to be checked every year. It is a pain in the arse. These also look good for camping and hiking because they pack away so well.

I'm sold, I watched the Jay Leno video about it and it looks to be something we all should have on board.

Thanks Evan!

I've got a $50 fire extinguisher from home depot. It's an ABC, so it will put out gasoline fires. I don't buy into trends or hype surrounding new products.
If a product has an advertisement rest assured you don't need it.
I've got my own way of doing things and after 20 years in the automotive industry I've become rather opinionated.
I make no apologies for that.
I just wish y'all could find my old land cruiser half as exciting as the latest gimmick being promoted on you tube...
I guess the only person I can really expect to care, about it is me...

I just wish y'all could find my old land cruiser half as exciting as the latest gimmick being promoted on you tube...
Huh?

I guess the only person I can really expect to care, about it is me...
We all have old FJ55s and we care about them all, that's why we're here.

I've got a $50 fire extinguisher from home depot. It's an ABC, so it will put out gasoline fires. I don't buy into trends or hype surrounding new products.
I put out a carb fire for a guy in the 70's and he wanted to deck me for screwing up his carb with the powder from the ABC extinguisher, sometimes new tech is good. 🤷‍♂️

We're all here to learn, share and just maybe have a laugh or two along the way.

I'll ask Hank about those fire extinguisher things... Hank is the fire chief in the small town where I work, he comes to our shop all of the time because we maintain their fleet of fire trucks.
I already know what he's going to say...
Or I'll ask my uncle who is the fire chief in the next town over. Also a zero BS kind of guy...
I'm going to drive the 55 to work again tomorrow. It's been a lot of fun and I've just about run one tank of fuel through it.
I should plan on changing the last of the rubber fuel lines and putting the vapor canisters back in this weekend.

I'm familiar with Audiokarma customs and forum decorum. Over there, off topic comments and blatant advertising spam are handled promptly by the administration. The users rarely see such thread craps, because the moderation team cleans it up 24 hours a day. Let's keep it on topic.
If you're shopping for a fire extinguisher, ask fire fighting expert that you trust.
When tragedy strikes you will need something that actually works.

1686368962693.gif

Chew-chew, down!

Nah, the rubber hoses to the vapor canisters are shot and the plugs dont hold gas back real well (threaded bolts).
Now that it's down at half tank it doesn't leak any more at all... I know what the issue is, i just need to order up the correct hose in order to fix the problem...
Brake locked up again this morning and so I tried opening the bleeder and fluid shot out like a squirt gun which leads me to believe that the master cylinder pushrod isnt coming back enough, so I adjusted that and I'll be test driving it again soon.

I'm overall really excited to be tooling around in it again...
More often than not I'm si excited to drive it that I take off without my cellphone...
Ive been pondering that phenomenon and I have concluded that if I keep oil, water, gas, and brake fluid along with a socket set and a roll of wrenches, ect. I'm not going to need a cell phone.
I dont use social media so I don't need to constantly photograph my car to impress people who I dont care about.
I prefer it. Just me and my old truck...
It sounds like you are on the case.
I hope it turns out to be what you suspect.
I have had 2 tanks start leaking on me with the vent lines fully hooked up, so I hope you don't have my luck!
Dropping those tanks and stabbing a repaired unit in does not rank high on my list of things I want to do again...

Stopped at the wildlife preserve on my way to w*** this morning and took photos.
This thing gets more fun as the years go by mainly because "trucks" have deviated from their intended purpose either each passing model year.
This here, this is a real truck.
All day long I work on these feature packed trucks that are worn out in 5 to 7 years with no parts available...

That lifestyle just isn't for me...
The fj55 lifestyle just might be.
I've got some spare fluids, tools, change of clothes and an ice chest, and I'm cruising the lands...

View attachment 3341663

View attachment 3341664
That Pig is looking good man!!!
Sounds like you had a nice moment of solitude...

I'll ask Hank about those fire extinguisher things... Hank is the fire chief in the small town where I work, he comes to our shop all of the time because we maintain their fleet of fire trucks.
I already know what he's going to say...
Or I'll ask my uncle who is the fire chief in the next town over. Also a zero BS kind of guy...
I'm going to drive the 55 to work again tomorrow. It's been a lot of fun and I've just about run one tank of fuel through it.
I should plan on changing the last of the rubber fuel lines and putting the vapor canisters back in this weekend.

I'm familiar with Audiokarma customs and forum decorum. Over there, off topic comments and blatant advertising spam are handled promptly by the administration. The users rarely see such thread craps, because the moderation team cleans it up 24 hours a day. Let's keep it on topic.
If you're shopping for a fire extinguisher, ask fire fighting expert that you trust.
When tragedy strikes you will need something that actually works.

Here is my opinion - you will be hard pressed to find a more decent human being, and someone more knowledgeable about Toyota products than Evan - @fj55-100 . Anyone who can graft a 2UZ and associated 100 series drivetrain into a Pig body has some serious skills. And he is as nice as the day is long.

He is the man in my book. At one of the Pig Parties he basically helped me make a field fix almost before I knew I had an issue. He did his time working for The Man (Mr. Toyoda) and now owns his own business as a professional wrench.

I think he posted that in the interest of the group, and doesn't stand to benefit personally from a sale. He only posted this after you said you have gasoline leaks a few times.

Just my $0.02 cents...

As for keeping on topic - this place is full of squirrel moments.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom