20 years in the making. 72-fj55 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my tires today, I was ecstatic until I got them home and they are toyo open country SxS tires. Not truck tires, not even legal to use on the street. What I needed was toyo open country M/T.
They do look great though.
Now I have to be the a****** who returns 6 custom ordered tires because they ordered the wrong stuff.
Sounds like your tire store is not quite up to speed...

today I brought home 6 tires, bolted them on and warmed up the engine.
Then I pushed a dead tractor out of my way and backed the Landcruiser out of the garage for the first time in several years.
The excitement had just begun because when I took off down the street it fell flat on its face, right in front of my neighbors house and wouldn't start.

I found the coil wire had slipped off its nipple and voila it started!
I backed slowly home, and took a spin through our feild which I come to find out is still pretty sloppy and wet. Anyway I got it back on the driveway, everything seemed to be going ok, and I took off down the street again. Once again it fell flat on its face. Took several minutes of cranking to get it to start back up.
I think it is starving for fuel and I think I need to replace the original fuel pump.
Two steps forward, one step back.

Endeavor to persevere!!!

My boss asked this morning if I wanted any help locating a diaphragm kit for the fuel pump.
I declined because I remember that the main oil leak i had years ago was from the pivot on the fuel pump rod.
It wollowed out a hole big enough to drip motor oil while running so I forked over $200 for a genuine new replacement.
It's in the mail.
You can always inspect the old one for a possible rebuild. Keep it as a spare....

Recently I took some parts off of my parts pig to sandblast at work.
Both front and rear heaters and the seat rails.

Last night I was parked at my girlfriend's house, while there, a other fj55 front heater unit found it's way into my bed.

weirder than weird.
Anyone recognize the heater with a warn sticker and a Dick Cepek tires sticker?
it just sort of landed in the bed of my pickup overnight...
16813105491842041671198369544795.jpg

There it is.
Pictures or it didn't happen, right?
It happened.
Any and all clues are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Since my first drive didn't go that well, I determined I needed a new fuel pump.
I ordered and installed a brand new genuine Toyota mechanical fuel pump weeks ago but have neglected to drive it around and check its functionality.
My initial drive, I pulled out onto the road and the truck immediately died in the middle of the road.
Got it started and it did it again a few yards down the road.
It seemed to do it just after a burst of acceleration.
With the new fuel pump it accelerates nicely and will hold its rpm and no longer runs out of fuel. I've also got to say that its never run as good as it does right now.
At least not since I've owned it.
The thing idles incredibly smooth, accelerates gracefully with tremendous power, and is just smoother operating than I ever remember it being...

I need to get the papers together and register it, but I've got another project taking all of my dough right now.
My pal Ken was in a fender bender and I'm putting his truck back together and I've ordered more parts than I've got the cash for at this point... Registration may be a month or 2 out...

Recently I took some parts off of my parts pig to sandblast at work.
Both front and rear heaters and the seat rails.

Last night I was parked at my girlfriend's house, while there, a other fj55 front heater unit found it's way into my bed.

weirder than weird.
Anyone recognize the heater with a warn sticker and a Dick Cepek tires sticker?
it just sort of landed in the bed of my pickup overnight...
View attachment 3296658
There it is.
Pictures or it didn't happen, right?
It happened.
Any and all clues are much appreciated.
Could it be a 40 heater box?

Hit the dmv this morning, then jumped in the fj55 and drove to work.
Had a rr tire brake bind up, don't quite know why yet, but I fixed a leaky heater line, backed off the adjuster on the stuck wheel, refilled the cooling system, drove to lunch in it...
Now I'm at my favorite Jamaican restaurant Siphos.
also the gas tank leaks after corners or when on an incline.
I think it's the lines for the vapor canisters which I pulled and plugged 20 years ago...
20230602_153859.jpg
20230602_153920.jpg
20230602_173502.jpg

All and all a successful trip so far. Lots of familiar noises and smells.
I've got a smile a mile wide...
20230602_122626.jpg

Last night I took the fj55 out to see if I could burn off whatever was dragging that drum. (After an inspection yielded nothing besides a oily contaminated and "blued" drum") I got home still dragging, barely able to maintain speed in 3rd.
So I took the drum off my parts piggy and made a quick swap. Then I took the same long and spirited ride through the country.

Got home and the brakes no longer drag or stink...
It was the contamination from years of soaking up gear oil...

Now on to the Gasoline leaks which seems to be less leaky at 1/2 tank than they were when totally full. I'll probably just put the vapor canisters back in with new hose and see where that gets me...

One time I had a Volvo catch fire while I was working on it and the fire department had to be called out to extinguish it. Now I carry fire extinguishers in my vehicles ...
I will buy a dedicated unit for the Landcruiser soon.

Last night I took the fj55 out to see if I could burn off whatever was dragging that drum. (After an inspection yielded nothing besides a oily contaminated and "blued" drum") I got home still dragging, barely able to maintain speed in 3rd.
So I took the drum off my parts piggy and made a quick swap. Then I took the same long and spirited ride through the country.

Got home and the brakes no longer drag or stink...
It was the contamination from years of soaking up gear oil...

Now on to the Gasoline leaks which seems to be less leaky at 1/2 tank than they were when totally full. I'll probably just put the vapor canisters back in with new hose and see where that gets me...

One time I had a Volvo catch fire while I was working on it and the fire department had to be called out to extinguish it. Now I carry fire extinguishers in my vehicles ...
I will buy a dedicated unit for the Landcruiser soon.
Leak at the tank?

Leak at the tank?
Nah, the rubber hoses to the vapor canisters are shot and the plugs dont hold gas back real well (threaded bolts).
Now that it's down at half tank it doesn't leak any more at all... I know what the issue is, i just need to order up the correct hose in order to fix the problem...
Brake locked up again this morning and so I tried opening the bleeder and fluid shot out like a squirt gun which leads me to believe that the master cylinder pushrod isnt coming back enough, so I adjusted that and I'll be test driving it again soon.

I'm overall really excited to be tooling around in it again...
More often than not I'm si excited to drive it that I take off without my cellphone...
Ive been pondering that phenomenon and I have concluded that if I keep oil, water, gas, and brake fluid along with a socket set and a roll of wrenches, ect. I'm not going to need a cell phone.
I dont use social media so I don't need to constantly photograph my car to impress people who I dont care about.
I prefer it. Just me and my old truck...

Stopped at the wildlife preserve on my way to w*** this morning and took photos.
This thing gets more fun as the years go by mainly because "trucks" have deviated from their intended purpose either each passing model year.
This here, this is a real truck.
All day long I work on these feature packed trucks that are worn out in 5 to 7 years with no parts available...

That lifestyle just isn't for me...
The fj55 lifestyle just might be.
I've got some spare fluids, tools, change of clothes and an ice chest, and I'm cruising the lands...

20230605_072508.jpg

20230605_072450.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom