20 years in the making. 72-fj55 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The lens on my parts pig came to me that way.
I think some aliens tried to steal the truck at one point. They caught it in their tractor beam but they didn't have the torque to actually pull it off the earth and the previous owner threw it in reverse just fast enough to escape the dirty devils. The heat from the magnetic field of the tractor beam collapse burnt out the lens. Of course nobody believes that story but it's the truth... The evidence is right there for all to see.

Dad is in bad shape, he has dementia, diabetes and he sits too much. He could be with us another 10 years or another 10 days, who knows at his age. My trajectory is to try and drive the iron pig to work on my birthday March 26th. Last year I rode a trial on my birthday which is going to be hard to top. If I succeed I'll probably get dad onboard and go for a cheeseburger in April. Wish me luck.
We are wishing you luck!
Let us know if we can do anything to help.

Question, because I'm lazy and don't want to scour the web for wrong information.
To pull the axle shafts I just take out the 4 bolts at the backing plate, right?
It is there a c clip inside the diff?
I'm hoping to get the backing plates painted.

Question, because I'm lazy and don't want to scour the web for wrong information.
To pull the axle shafts I just take out the 4 bolts at the backing plate, right?
It is there a c clip inside the diff?
I'm hoping to get the backing plates painted.

All your questions can be answered with the FSM - Toyota FSM

All your questions can be answered with the FSM - Toyota FSM
Looked it up and yes, unfortunately I will be draining the diff and pulling the pin to get the c clips out in order to remove and paint my backing plates.
probably will do axle seals at that point but I'm not going to take the pinion out unless I find something that really needs service.

So, you're doing the rear axle. The front is different with it's own messiness.
Fronts are finished for now, rears are in deck, Master cylinder ordered from Australia is on the way, so safe brakes are finally happening. I've also ordered 100 choke plate brass screws from china, so my carburetor will soon be operational.
Its coming together and I'm excited. When it was running, back in high school I remember it needed a good long warm up before you could drive it, but the motor was solid and I seem to remember getting about 18 miles on a gallon.

Hey question for those in the know.

If I were to buy a set of Yukon gear 3.70:1. Ratio rings and pinions, would they drop right into my 3rd member or would I need to put a different drive flange on the pinion shafts?

I took my diff cover off and noticed some pitting on my ring gear...
If I am going to go to all that work to change them, it sure would be nice to be able to keep up on the highway, due to a. Higher ratio...

Great point Scraps, swapped my 8/1971 pig with a 1976 front axle, native axles were thick spline, the 1976 was fine splined. Not sure where the year break is for thick vs. fine spline, sure someone here knows off the top of their head.

A ring and pinion set would use the same carrier and spiders I've got now, so same axle shafts (wide spline) would work.
That gets me going the speed limit, which will be nice
Only real concern is with pinion spline count and diameter.

Fronts are finished for now, rears are in deck, Master cylinder ordered from Australia is on the way, so safe brakes are finally happening. I've also ordered 100 choke plate brass screws from china, so my carburetor will soon be operational.
Its coming together and I'm excited. When it was running, back in high school I remember it needed a good long warm up before you could drive it, but the motor was solid and I seem to remember getting about 18 miles on a gallon.

Why an MC from Oz? Kurt @cruiseroutfit has about every MC you might need!

I didn't know that, I found one on Ebay that matched mine for a good price and figured that I better get it if I'm going to make my "deadline"

If I were to buy a set of Yukon gear 3.70:1. Ratio rings and pinions, would they drop right into my 3rd member or would I need to put a different drive flange on the pinion shafts?

If I am going to go to all that work to change them, it sure would be nice to be able to keep up on the highway, due to a. Higher ratio...

You would need to buy fine spline flanges. Your existing 10 spline won't work on aftermarket gears which all use the later model 27 spline.

We have an easy solution:

These cover both the common 3spd and 4spd flange pattern used on the FJ55 so you have flexibility with drivelines.

You need to make sure you can get a pinion w/ coarse spline if you want to use your old flange.
The change from coarse to fine spline happened somewhere in '78 (after my 09/77 40 was made).
Otherwise, if all Yukon sells is fine spline pinion, check w/ Kurt @cruiseroutfit , they have all manner of drive flanges.
But, how sever is this pitting? These things are beefy, and a factory 1 or 2F is not going to stress a ring gear with a little pitting...
Yes, if they're for the 9.5" diff, they should go right in with shimming. Another option that would probably be cheaper and easier would be to buy a complete drop in diff out of a late FJ40 or FJ60, which will be the 3.70 ratio. I've found that they are not that hard to find.
You need to shim for proper pinion pre-load.
Ask me how I know...
I am pretty sure some later 3.70 third members will have different drive flages, which are fine, but you must set the pinion pre-load via proper shimming.
I'm no wizz on any of the late stuff, but do they have the same axle spline count as a 72?
Right ^^^
Great point Scraps, swapped my 8/1971 pig with a 1976 front axle, native axles were thick spline, the 1976 was fine splined. Not sure where the year break is for thick vs. fine spline, sure someone here knows off the top of their head.
I think the change was a little earlier than that, but not sure when.

You would need to buy fine spline flanges. Your existing 10 spline won't work on aftermarket gears which all use the later model 27 spline.

We have an easy solution:

These cover both the common 3spd and 4spd flange pattern used on the FJ55 so you have flexibility with drivelines.
You beat me to it Kurt!
See my reply above...

Users who are viewing this thread

• mn12
Back
Top Bottom