20 hp gain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has any one tried the jet performance ecu upgrade. I just talked to a represenative of Jet and he told me i would get 16-20 hp to the wheels and 18-22 ftlbs of torque. Can anyone attest to this?

Web Site ? How Much Is It ?

Never heard of that. Give it a try and let us know.

SNAKE OIL

Jet is full of crap... don't waste your time or money.

Look at this site (this guy knows his stuff) about his Jet chip on his 4Runner:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Fuel.htm#ECU Upgrade:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/4run.htm

The only motors that benefit significantly from just an ecu upgrade are diesels, and it's because with most modern diesels you can make big gains by simply dumping more fuel into the cylinders.

A friend of mine wanted me to put one in his mustang and I couldn't talk him out of it. The only difference it made was it ran hotter. Deffinately not worth the money, on a disel it's another story.

Critter said:
SNAKE OIL

Jet is full of crap... don't waste your time or money.

Look at this site (this guy knows his stuff) about his Jet chip on his 4Runner:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Fuel.htm#ECU Upgrade:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/4run.htm

The only motors that benefit significantly from just an ecu upgrade are diesels, and it's because with most modern diesels you can make big gains by simply dumping more fuel into the cylinders.

That's crap - diesels are NOT the only engines to benefit from ecu upgrades. You can get dyno proven results from lots of engines - 50hp easy on a 1.8T Veedub. I don't have any experience with JET, but just cause this guy can't "feel" the difference means squat.

Naturally asperated motors recieve minimal benefit from bolt ons. Forced induction motors however are a different story.

Walking Eagle said:
That's crap - diesels are NOT the only engines to benefit from ecu upgrades. You can get dyno proven results from lots of engines - 50hp easy on a 1.8T Veedub. I don't have any experience with JET, but just cause this guy can't "feel" the difference means squat.

I should have been more clear, normally aspirated gas motors get little to no benefit from a ecu upgrade. Supercharged and turbo motors can expierence some gains but nothing like a diesel in most circumstances.

Diesels recieved huge gains from adding nothing more than a new chip, read 100hp and 100 ft/lb toeque in many instances.

Adding a Jet chip to a land cruiser is a waste of money, I would be surprised if you got marginal gains even with a supercharger. Jet sucks.

I just talked to a represenative of Jet and he told me i would get 16-20 hp to the wheels and 18-22 ftlbs of torque. Can anyone attest to this?

Where do you get that gain? I would bet money it's at the end of the power band where it's worthless and you'd be better off in the next gear... I never trust that crap, same way I don't trust 1,000 watt amps for $19 at the swap meet...

Critter said:
I should have been more clear, normally aspirated gas motors get little to no benefit from a ecu upgrade. Supercharged and turbo motors can expierence some gains but nothing like a diesel in most circumstances.

Diesels recieved huge gains from adding nothing more than a new chip, read 100hp and 100 ft/lb toeque in many instances.

Adding a Jet chip to a land cruiser is a waste of money, I would be surprised if you got marginal gains even with a supercharger. Jet sucks.

The 1.8T VW motor 33% increase is very much like the 33% gain in a diesel. Weither a chip gives a return really depends on the tune of the engine to begin with. The 1.8T VW motor gets such a huge return because it's so detuned to begin with 150hp in beetles, vs. the 180hp in turbo s's, or 225 in Audi TT's. I've read that the 1.8T is detuned in most aplications because VW doesn't want the 4 cyl to outperform the more expensive 6cyl.

I agree adding a chip to a cruiser is probably not worth the money. I doubt with bigger tires you'd even notice an extra 20hp seat of the pants. Normally asperated engines can have significant gains from chips - the thing is it's always a trade off. Factory chips are a compromise of fuel ecconomy, emissions, drivability, longevity ect. You can get more of one, but you're likely to sacrifice another. You might get more high end HP, but loose some low end torque. You might get more power, but have to run premium fuel. You also may start roasting other parts of the driveline. The cummings is a great example, when they first came out they were significantly detuned cause the trannys and even the chassis couldn't handle more. The duramax can easily be tuned to roast the tranny.

Blanket statements often have holes in them.

that's why I said often, not always or never - but cute none the less.

The way i understand Emisions testing, they do not test at wide open throttle. What this means is most auto makers "tune" there computors for max power at wide open throttle already. What alot of these boxes do is change shift points of your transmission holding them in gear longer. They can not change fuel or timing enough to make any drastic differance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom