20/21 The year of the engine knock (2F in this story) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulling a plug wire would lessen the knock on that cylinder, if the cause was a failed bearing shell or a loose cap.

Oh boy, count me in the 2021 “knock club” on my daily driver 60. I just rolled past 250k miles and this is NOT how I wanted to do it. It’s a lower end rhythmic knock on acceleration/load.

I’ve gather all the suggestions from this and other threads and will be “knocking” them out (see whatI did there??) this weekend:
Stethoscope
Pull spark plug boots one at a time
Compression test
Check and adjust valves
Tune up: new plugs and oil
Check transmission & t-case fluid levels
Open dizzy and inspect for carnage

anything I’m missing? I bought a leak down yesterday a while back and haven’t used it. I’m the most amateur of mechanics and I’m not sure if that would be a beneficial test right now.

I’ve just parked mine in the garage until warmer weather is well grounded. Then I should be able to get free of my house projects and drop my oil pan and see if anything is obvious.

Cruiser Trash...........Bottom end knock under load is pretty indicative of bearing failure. The beautiful thing is...you can drop the pan, and if there is no major trashing, you can easily just replace the bearing shells and motor on.

Cruiser Trash...........Bottom end knock under load is pretty indicative of bearing failure. The beautiful thing is...you can drop the pan, and if there is no major trashing, you can easily just replace the bearing shells and motor on.
That’s what I’m hoping for. All my fingers and toes are crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom