2 year note leaving saga comes to a close - anything y'all see? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! I'm early to posting this and excited to join your ranks- there is a lot I still don't know about this truck but it wont get out of my thoughts and I'd like to ask about it to you all. I've been leaving notes on this 87 for the past 2 years and finally have gotten a beer in front of the current owner. I wanted to share some pictures to see if anything looks amiss - I understand it's rusty but after a long time of poking and prodding nothing seems amiss or too far structurally gone. I will be going insane with a wire brush on it and look forward to learning more about how to repair it myself so I don't have to take it in too often (luckily there's a great shop here for my '99 who works on 60s too.). I do believe she's currently being used as storage. 296k on the clock, apparently recent engine rebuild and runs and drives well besides a leak in the transfer case and oil being everywhere. He spoke of $3k to a place across the state where he brought it and they claimed they could refurbish the frame from its present state. I'd rather do it myself and definitely don't have the money for a frame swap.

Mr. man has suggested to a neighbor that he might ask $5k, but guiltily - I am expecting to get it for around $4500. I'm just looking for anything I should look out for when I drive it or to know before hand outside of the guides I've been reading.

Many thanks and looking forward to joining your ranks-- even if she's a little ugly.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 11.00.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 10.56.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 10.56.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 10.55.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 10.55.49 PM.png

Check the c-channels on the rear sections of the frame ahead of the rear axle, as well as the rest of the frame. Looks pretty clean beyond the heavy surface rust underneath.

Check the c-channels on the rear sections of the frame ahead of the rear axle, as well as the rest of the frame. Looks pretty clean beyond the heavy surface rust underneath.
You can see the c-channels in one of the photos - kind of difficult to notice at first. They look pretty shot.

@walkbanx The very rear end of the frame, there are two c-channels nested together. In your photo you can tell the inner one is heavily rusted and blowing out. Trail Tailor makes replacements but I hear the job is a bear. Steve is correct about looking at the inside of the frame just forward of the rear axle - near the front attachment point of the rear leaf springs - because that area rusts too. It looks like a lot of work cleaning the frame up - a lot - but I guess this is kind of the going price now.

Inspect the rain gutters on the roof especially around the feet of the roof rack.

Honestly I expected the body to be way worse when I was reading your post. Check the usual spots like Seth S said and also the rear wheel arches/ under the rear seat near the wheel wells.

If the engine runs well and has minimal leaks $4,500 sounds like a fair price IMHO. Rear springs definitely look “pooched” like diesellibrarian said. Tires look kinda old too. Just get ready to dump another $4,500 in it after you buy it LOL (hopefully not though)

The rear springs look pretty pooched out. You're probably going to want to budget for new leaf springs front and rear.
Any idea on the pricing here? I unfortunately don't have any access to a lift nor the skill (excited to learn) so I'll have to pay for the labor.

Honestly I expected the body to be way worse when I was reading your post. Check the usual spots like Seth S said and also the rear wheel arches/ under the rear seat near the wheel wells.

If the engine runs well and has minimal leaks $4,500 sounds like a fair price IMHO. Rear springs definitely look “pooched” like diesellibrarian said. Tires look kinda old too. Just get ready to dump another $4,500 in it after you buy it LOL (hopefully not though)
The lack of rust on the body is what kept me onto this one! I'm selling my '99 now - to fund fixing this thing up and a little reliable go-kart-esque vehicle so I don't put all my eggs in one basket :) Happy to put some money into it soon (just hopefully not too too much).

Any idea on the pricing here? I unfortunately don't have any access to a lift nor the skill (excited to learn) so I'll have to pay for the labor.
You don't need a lift to swap out the springs: a floor jack and some robust jack stands will do it! Just do one end at a time. Depending on how seized the shackle bushings are, you will also need a BFH and maybe a blowtorch, and a grinder with cut-off wheel to cut out your old u-bolts. Changing out your springs is actually a great first project for a new 60 owner.

Of course, you will probably want new shocks, too...and then because it's sitting higher you'll want bigger tires...and then you'll notice that your steering is a bit aimless, and so you do front sway bar links and bushings and tie rod ends and steering damper...

That'$ Ju$t How $he Goe$

Looks like a good ship to me!

But…

…I wouldn’t recommend buying it if you can’t do a lot of the labor yourself, and If you can afford and plan to pay for labor, you might as well spend the money to get a cruiser that is in better condition.

Generally speaking, there’s No lift required for any of the work you will do—floor jacks and determination will get you through!

My advice is to Double (at least) the estimated time for any job to account for working around rusted/seized parts—learned my lesson with that enough times lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom