2 words Rack & pinion (ok 3 words) any thoughts of fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My friend feels that I should put rack & pinion steering on my fj..thoughts? I have powersteering now but I feel the pump is not strong enough.

Thanks...

I am using sag. not happy with the system. I am wanting to make it better.. ps has trouble turning tires

A Saginaw power steering system should give you enough power to snap knuckle studs...turns my 37s just fine. Might be something wrong with your system. Also, look at adding hydro assist to your box, much easier/quicker/cheaper than going rack & pinion.

This feels like Deja vu all over again...

This feels like Deja vu all over again...

when an asked question does not give you the answers you were looking for, you simply ask it again later and hope for better answers.

Is your friend a vw guy?

You could also change the wheel on your pump to give you better pressure.

folks must be confused, he asked about putting it on an fj, not a real cruiser. :flipoff2:

FJ's have Rack n pinnon stock :flipoff2:

My appoligy to the people that I did not make clear...FJ40....

As mentioned above the geometry of how a rack and pinion works would not lend itself well to a solid front axle, especially if you have any suspension travel. The typical Saginaw conversions have no trouble turning large tires with lockers etc. so if you are having trouble there may be another underlying problem. The next step up from there is hydro assist which is pretty easy to do (getting the box back together after drilling and tapping excluded) That level of assist should be far more than you could get with a rack and pinion setup. As Mace mentioned above you can actually rip things apart if you don't pay attention and get the front end bound up. The rams come in a variety of lengths and diameters, one that has approx 6.75" of throw and 1.75" diameter would be a good starting point. Slightly smaller diameter for quicker steering and slightly less boost or slightly larger diameter for more assist but a slightly slower feel. If you do a search on "hydro assist" you should get enough info to bore you to tears.

Two Words: Bad Idea (again)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rack-and-pinion-stering.799948/

^^^ Asked and answered 3 days ago...looks like the same responses again. A bad idea is a bad idea. :meh: Your friend is pointing you in the wrong direction.

As for running the saginaw system - what, specifically, do you not like? If it can't turn your tires, it's not working properly. I'm only running 31's, but I can turn the wheel with one finger - to me, it's almost TOO strong. There are plenty of folks running 35's/37's who still have no issues. It sounds to me that something in the system (maybe the pump?) is not doing it's job. You'll be money way ahead fixing the saginaw setup than going to a (weaker, less effective, more expensive, not ideal for solid axle) Rack and Pinion setup.

Last edited:
Post up some pictures of your setup, maybe there is something wrong that might not be so obvious.

when an asked question does not give you the answers you were looking for, you simply ask it again later and hope for better answers.

It usually works for me at the DMV...

My Saginaw ps turns 39's easily and I don't have hydro assist yet. As already has been said, rack and pinion won't work on a solid axle, you need to diagnose what's wrong with your setup. Post up some pictures and it will get figured out.

ok...first..it was just a question...i tightend the belt and still not as much squeeking but still squeeks. i will try to take pictures and post here.. i was thinking abojut PSI? that co that sells complete kit...i dont know..just seems like it slips more turning left than right..

Rack and pinion is a great idea man. Make sure you document your install so I can use it as a reference when I do mine.

Ill be the 30th person to say replace your ps pump if its bad.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom